Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Convergence
Apr 9, 2005

The Saurus posted:

Only stupid children believe that Donald Trump is anything like Hitler.

You know, it seems with the majority of the West seeming to prefer Global Trumpism/Brexit over neoliberal IDPol, you'd better get used to the idea of having people like me as allies, or get used to losing.

French and German elections coming up too! Any others this year? Italy? :getin:

Could I, or someone, convince you to at least remain an advocate of multinational efforts to deal with climate change? While Trump's views on it after unclear and ill informed, Tillerson at least appreciates the problem. The world can get along fine with some more nationalism and trade protectionism, though I'm definitely not in favor of it myself.

However, the globe is now (for the first time) dealing with something the free market and individual nations are uniquely ill equipped to fix because there isn't much short term economic incentive to do anything, especially if one country feels they will fall behind the others by implementing emissions reduction. I'm a scientist and desperately want to make this a nonpartisan issue, though it has also entered the culture war. We need global cooporation on climate change no matter what. I would sacrifice every other trade deal for this.

e: may have misunderstood your position after seeing earlier posts. my point still stands to anyone heavily against globalism in this thread, though

Convergence fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convergence
Apr 9, 2005
You didn't answer my question. Do you agree that international collaborative effort is needed to effectively combat climate change given the economic (dis) incentives involved?

And we're not going to run out of fossil fuels, which is part of the problem. Just the really cheap ones.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.livescience.com/37469-fuel-endures.html

I see that you edited your post and added more about inefficient shipping, but that's beside the point. The damage is now done, and it's silly to think international shipping is actually going to drop enough to make a dent because of some tariffs. Good luck building electronics in northern Europe without chinese or american mined rare earths.

Convergence fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jan 16, 2017

Convergence
Apr 9, 2005
I agree that we should avoid destroying peoples livelihoods if possible. However, I brought up climate change as an example to illustrate that there are definitely globe-scale problems we need to deal with as a species and not just as nations. For instance, we could solve the problem faster if a large international community implemented a carbon tax which levels the playing field for all involved- probably necessary for such an oppressive and ubiquitous externality like carbon emissions. Climate change is intrinsically a globalist issue (we're going to kill off fishing communities, for instance, in which no one had even heard of climate change yet faces the consequences of the Wests actions http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/12/14/459404745/fish-stocks-are-declining-worldwide-and-climate-change-is-on-the-hook).

I just hope at least some Trump supporters remember this. The world is a lot more complicated and fragile than the last time we tried heavy nationalism.

• Locked thread