Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Guy Goodbody posted:

I do not lose "privilege" if black people aren't imprisoned at a disproportionately higher rate.

Inasmuch as you're then competing socially and economically with more people of colour who haven't been turned into a permanent underclass through the correctional system, you do.

It's still the right thing to do, and any negative impact on you or me or other white people is far outweighed by the huge benefit to people of colour, but it is not completely inconsequential to white people. It's just that, if you as a white person are concerned about that impact to your privilege to the point you would support continuing to incarcerate people of colour at a disproportionate rate, you're an objectively awful person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Guy Goodbody posted:

Like factsareuseless and rudatron said, getting people out of prisons would have other positive effects. A society that keeps people imprisoned for no reason is not a society already operating at maximum efficiency. The result wouldn't just be higher unemployment.

The idea that a decrease in the black prison population would lead to an increase in white unemployment is crazy, and the fact that it's being propagated by people who consider themselves anti-racist is completely rear end-backwards

Of course it's a net good for society, and even most people individually, if people are not unjustly imprisoned. But it can be negative for certain individuals, or at least it could be negative for them in certain ways. Or they perceive it would be negative for them, regardless of reality. None of these are reasons why we should continue to imprison people unjustly.

There are plenty of things that are good on a societal level but can negatively impact certain individuals. That doesn't mean we shouldn't do them.

EDIT: In the context of your original post: yes, you will lose some degree of privilege. No, it will likely not affect your life, and it's entirely possible that the resulting changes in society not directly relating to that loss of privilege will benefit you.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 10, 2017

• Locked thread