Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who are you playing?
Velvet
Rokurou
Eleanor
Eizen
Laphicet
Magilou
View Results

• Locked thread
Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
I just started the demo and it seems like the character switching and some other things will be a lot easier to master when playing through the game and acquiring them naturally, instead of just being dumped in at level 25 and getting tutorials barfed all over you.
Like, I logically understand that it's just the D-pad, and occasionally L1 while you have 1BG, but keeping track of everyone's BG and where the sub characters are, on top of learning a whole new battle system is just a bit too much at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
My muscle memory kept messing me up, both with blocking and going through chains. Kept hitting square for blocks and directions for the different chains and don't really want to put time into a demo to figure out actual opinions on the system when it'll be more worthwhile and easier to do that within the actual game as I progressively get used to it.

Only real worry right now is that the Help section mentioned some enemies will reflect attacks of certain elements. Does the AI play nice with this or does it commit suicide? I guess even if they did it would still be an improvement over Zestiria where they felt fit to doom the entire party rather than just themselves.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
https://twitter.com/gtcaphi/status/819008557316083713

Is this happening to anybody else or is my screen just hosed somehow?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Are you on PC or PS4? If you're on PC, might be some weird problem with your resolution setting vs your screen's resolution.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah i didn't have any issues with subtitles on my screen

honestly i'm still really pleasantly surprised by how much the port is even better than zesty's

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The demo didn't make me feel better about the translation being super rough but it wasn't a total shitshow.

VA hot takes: Bienfu is terrible, Phi is terrible, Rokurou is good, Eizen should sound more different from Rokurou, and everyone should be doing more of a shtick, except for Bienfu, but especially Magilou.

Dubious contextualization for a lot of incidental voice clips (Divide Pain, Aqua Split) and the end-of-battle quotes are, tragically, a mess.

I still hate "therionize."

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Does the demo have dual audio? I'm about to finish my shift and try it out when I get home.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Zaggitz posted:

Does the demo have dual audio? I'm about to finish my shift and try it out when I get home.

it does

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

PSA: Guarding doesn't decrease your SG. Most of the time it replenishes it. The Japanese help says that SG is "greatly depleted" when your attack is blocked by the enemy.

So yeah, tutorials are still poo poo.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
So equipment comes with a skill that you can Master by equipping it and using it in battle. Once Mastered, it's permanently active as a Skill and the equipment gives its own bonus as well (so if your Sword gave +10 ATK and you Master it, you'd have +20 ATK if you keep the Sword equipped). Later on you get a key item that lets equipment drops come with random bonus skills that you can't learn and only work while equipped.

Do I have it right so far?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Caphi posted:

PSA: Guarding doesn't decrease your SG. Most of the time it replenishes it. The Japanese help says that SG is "greatly depleted" when your attack is blocked by the enemy.

So yeah, tutorials are still poo poo.

This is turning into some Castlevania 2 level poo poo.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
Which character being super hyped in the pre-release stuff is going to dissapear in the first three hours this time and show up later as part of a really unfulfilling DLC quest line? Not that I'm bitter at all :negative:

In non bitching posting, demo just finished downloading and I'm pumped to get in there and check out the new tales hotness.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

orphean posted:

Which character being super hyped in the pre-release stuff is going to dissapear in the first three hours this time and show up later as part of a really unfulfilling DLC quest line? Not that I'm bitter at all :negative:

no one, because this game was produced by a sane person

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
Well finished the "story" part of the demo. Combat feels freaking awesome, just sick combos into theronizing all day. Going to be fun to sperg out on tuning the combos and arts.

Characters, yep it sure is a tales game! This crew seems likable enough in the short exposure I had to them. And I know it just a very small vertical slice but the tone felt different from Zesteria even in that. Graphics wise I just cranked everything to the max and turned on vsync and it was a stable 60 fps and super smooth.

Going to have to dig into the battle mode of the demo for a while but not tonight.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
It was fun, though the Demo not saving stuff made things really annoying to test as I can't really spend time and test different arte chains as well as mastering equipment/etc to see how it feels.

I'm... not a fan of everything being arte chains at first glance, as it feels it might turn into the same issues as Graces where you are locked into a erratic and stiff gameplay. Zestiria had least at excellent way to check between martial/movement/hidden artes to make do, but I am unsure how Berseria will handle with everything being locked that way.

The tutorials are really shite, and my testing so far made it seems like the only way to backstep/sidestep was if you are also guarding?

Magilou in the demo seems to cast REALLY slowly, which is probably only due to lack of skills, but...

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Arkeus posted:

Magilou in the demo seems to cast REALLY slowly, which is probably only due to lack of skills, but...

She reminds me so much of Rita in combat with a similar "ribbon" like attack and slow casting.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
After checking out the demo I think I'm going to wait for a sale, if anything. The translation did seem shonky, combat did little for me, and the voice acting was pretty wooden (Laphicet's VA in particular is too high-pitched and way too stiff, which is what I was afraid of since even in the demo it's clear he's kind of the group's center).

Oh well, Gravity Rush 2 is there if I need an anime fix.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

just use jp voices if you dislike the dub, the jp cast is great even if you don't know japanese and they've subbed just about everything.

edit: Also, to anyone concerned about, uh, anything, from Zestiria, it's worth noting that they banished the guy at the head of that game to another dimension and replaced him with two new guys who seem to know what they're doing. Probably worth putting that in the OP, too, since it's a sign of just how much they regret shipping Zestiria in the state it was in.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Endorph posted:

just use jp voices if you dislike the dub, the jp cast is great even if you don't know japanese and they've subbed just about everything.

edit: Also, to anyone concerned about, uh, anything, from Zestiria, it's worth noting that they banished the guy at the head of that game to another dimension and replaced him with two new guys who seem to know what they're doing. Probably worth putting that in the OP, too, since it's a sign of just how much they regret shipping Zestiria in the state it was in.

I did check out the JP voices, and while it's impressive that Phi's JP VA actually sounds more like a boy than his English one, Japanese voice acting does next to nothing for me.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

There's a whole section in the OP about how Berseria is constantly trying to patch Zestiria up retroactively or apologizing for how much there wasn't in it. I'm trying to keep it somewhat positive so I didn't want to include all the Baba drama, which is a mess anyway. There's been enough whining and conspiracy-theorizing and soothsaying of the New Fukaya Order in the Tales thread, and if anyone wants to do more of it I'm personally fine with it but I think that's a better place for it.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 11, 2017

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

zestiria was good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ending of zestiria:

sorey: hideo baba
rose: fukaya
mikleo: takeshi hasegawa

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Anyway I went back to my clear-and-a-half save yesterday after finishing the demo because I feel like I should replay this game since it's about to come out but I don't feel like buying it again yet.

It wasn't totally night and day, but there were definitely some things I really missed in the demo.
  • The Arte Ball Expanded Maneuvers Ventite is so important. If you liked the feel of the demo's combat but felt the grid was restrictive, I urge you to give the game a chance, because it will address this. The shortcuts not being in, at least, the combat demo is a crime.
  • There were definitely some specific artes I missed that felt like they made their respective characters feel a lot better to play (most of which I put on shortcuts in the main game). They're relatively early, they just got skipped in the sampling. Specifically (for people who can comment): Velvet's Serpent Burial; Rokurou's Sonic Thrust and Form 2; Eizen's Flash Step and Ditch; Eleanor's 裂駆槍; Laphicet's Blessed Drops and Pyrogenic Ring.
  • Second Break Souls/Mystic Artes would have been too much for the demo (which had way too much as it was) but Laphicet has to wait for Divide Pain to wear off to reuse it. When I was trying to build BG to hear all the MAs, I wished for Stasis Force. That's just me, though.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 11, 2017

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

how are the babes in this game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Super No Vacancy posted:

how are the babes in this game

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
How is there a Bienfu plush but no Grimoire.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
Huh so apparently Magilou's spell absorption/spell cast is not random and you can manipulate how to use it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2K65LvPi24
There is a document linked in the youtube post explaining it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm having a little difficulty controlling any character other than Velvet or Eleanor using M/KB, but it did take me an incredibly long time in Zesty to reach the point where I was doing things on purpose instead a consequence of accidental button mashing, so I shouldn't be surprised that only 50 minutes isn't enough to master the game.

I definitely had the most trouble with the caster characters, since the default setup was mostly just them using physicals. I eventually figured out that down arrow was the spell casting, but it seemed to pick different spells. I guess I'll have to actually read the menus and change things. Is arte-upgrading thing from Zesty still in this game? I'm not sure how that'll work on M/KB with the new 4-attack-button control scheme.

No real thoughts on voice actors other than I like that Velvet is fairly deep voiced, and that Kate Higgins (Magilou) is always great.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm having a little difficulty controlling any character other than Velvet or Eleanor using M/KB, but it did take me an incredibly long time in Zesty to reach the point where I was doing things on purpose instead a consequence of accidental button mashing, so I shouldn't be surprised that only 50 minutes isn't enough to master the game.

I definitely had the most trouble with the caster characters, since the default setup was mostly just them using physicals. I eventually figured out that down arrow was the spell casting, but it seemed to pick different spells. I guess I'll have to actually read the menus and change things. Is arte-upgrading thing from Zesty still in this game? I'm not sure how that'll work on M/KB with the new 4-attack-button control scheme.

No real thoughts on voice actors other than I like that Velvet is fairly deep voiced, and that Kate Higgins (Magilou) is always great.

Down is probably the A button on a controller, which unless you changed stuff in the artes menu corresponds to "do stuff at random". In Berseria the face buttons--guessing the arrow keys on keyboard--all correspond to arte chains that you can build manually instead of being set like the A-chains in graces f or zestiria's martials and the control stick--guessing either wasd or mouse--instead lets you control movement during execution.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Yeah, down is "do stuff at random", which I have to auto-assign to anything else because I really don't want to be doing random poo poo at all.

What I have not figured out yet is if you assign a seraphic* arte, how can you progress to the next action in the list (such as another Seraphic arte). In Zesty that was done because seraphic arts are holding RMB, then clicking LMB to upgrade, but that's not how Berseria works, if only because I can't keep holding down an arrow key, a WASD key and using the mouse at the same time.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Apparently it does have that system, but it was a skill you had to unlock in Zesty. I assume that's the case here too, or the spells you get aren't part of the same line.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I forgot that the technique to backstep 3 times into a super speedy spell is a skill you had to buy in Zestiria. What the hell is equipped in the demo.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I liked Zesteria. While I wouldn't say it's a masterpiece or a must play game, I had fun with it from beginning to end. It definitely had horrible glaring flaws though.

That said, this game looks better in just about every way and I'd get it day one except I'm buying way too many games the first half of this year at full price already, so this Tales game will have to go on the back burner til later. It's crazy how many good games are coming out early 2017.

EDIT: Didn't realize there were issues with Zesteria's PC port. I thought it was a decent enough port. No glitches in my playthrough, and it ran fine.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

arisu posted:

I liked Zesteria. While I wouldn't say it's a masterpiece or a must play game, I had fun with it from beginning to end. It definitely had horrible glaring flaws though.

That said, this game looks better in just about every way and I'd get it day one except I'm buying way too many games the first half of this year at full price already, so this Tales game will have to go on the back burner til later. It's crazy how many good games are coming out early 2017.

EDIT: Didn't realize there were issues with Zesteria's PC port. I thought it was a decent enough port. No glitches in my playthrough, and it ran fine.

it was a perfectly fine port, it just didn't run at 60fps and the fan fix that lets it do it handles it pretty terribly outside of combat

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Momomo posted:

Apparently it does have that system, but it was a skill you had to unlock in Zesty. I assume that's the case here too, or the spells you get aren't part of the same line.

You get it for shop level 6.

In general: don't, for many reasons, play this game with mouse and keyboard. It's not very well thought through.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
My computer apparently can't run either at 60fps well anyway, since it's suddenly like everything is running through mud. I can put everything to max with 30fps though so I'm not really bothered by it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Caphi posted:

You get it for shop level 6.

You mean, in order for casters to be able to chain arts into other arts (basically, to be functional), you need to buy a LOT of stuff at stores first? Just stores in general, I guess, because if I remember right, Zestiria tracked each shop's rank separately.

quote:

In general: don't, for many reasons, play this game with mouse and keyboard. It's not very well thought through.

Maybe so, but I'm sure glad there was a demo for it so I could find that out before buying it, though. The demo also seems to have some kind of problem with my Soundblaster Evo ZX headphones, as as soon as battles start they spit out rumbling white noise.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 13, 2017

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

You mean, in order for casters to be able to chain arts into other arts (basically, to be functional), you need to buy a LOT of stuff at stores first? Just stores in general, I guess, because if I remember right, Zestiria tracked each shop's rank separately.

No. What? I meant the thing that lets you hold a spell and then uplevel it into the higher level spell in its line in its place. You can chain whatever artes and spells you want if you set them on the grid, it's kind of the base system.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Interesting notes on Magilou from the design book: She originally had a more 'evil' design. And, uh, bigger boobs. Really glad they didn't go with either of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'll take "words I didn't expect Endorph to write" for 500 Alex

• Locked thread