Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who are you playing?
Velvet
Rokurou
Eleanor
Eizen
Laphicet
Magilou
View Results

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

even ignoring the character design aspect of it, i think her being kind of flat makes her more attractive? it gives her body a more unique 'line' to draw. like with big boobs it's just hey!! titties!!!! but like this she has a sexy outfit but a kind of lithe build, which blend well together. she's got an attractive demeanor anyway, and if you remove the doofy hat she's actually a really gorgeous elf lady, so she doesn't need boobs to be attractive.

i thought this was the tales series thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
What if in exchange Velvet was more evil and more flat

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Why would you ever remove the hat?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

i thought this was the tales series thread.

I'll allow it.

I assume Magilou's outfit is actually meant to look like a circus costume, which works. I bought her Arche, though.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
*posts 50k word dissertation on the breasts of every tales character complete with skin to clothing ratio breakdowns, volume estimates, and personal rating system of 1 to 5 tales*

So after playing through the combat mode a few times I still like the combat system. I actually like having the artes as part of the combos because I think there's a really nice flow going on that just feels good to me when I'm playing it.

I can see why its not everyone's cup of tea though as it makes using artes tactically more annoying being locked behind some combo.

Still liking this demo more than I ever liked Zesteria.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
That's it. I'm adding "there's an arte ball in the full game" to the OP.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I don't know what an arte ball is OP

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

I don't know what an arte ball is OP

you get double the amount of arte slots later in the game, via holding down a button

so r1 + x can have different artes than regular x, for instance

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I didn't call it an arte ball, I explained it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

I didn't call it an arte ball, I explained it.
ill call you an arte ball

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
how is that something you loving have to unlock

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Reiterpallasch posted:

how is that something you loving have to unlock

most tales games have you unlock it later because that's when you have enough artes for it to actually matter.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly it kind of pans out that way in berseria, too. I'm pretty sure I had the arte ball by the time I got to the point the demo is at.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

honestly it kind of pans out that way in berseria, too. I'm pretty sure I had the arte ball by the time I got to the point the demo is at.

You can get it immediately before where the demo is at, but it's not completely portable because the demo isn't a snapshot of the artes you have at that stage/level, it's a sampling of artes from all across the level range.

That said, I also want to say I got the thing at an appropriate time, because I remember I was recently starting to figure out how to dedicate first-stage slots to artes like Form 2 and Serpent Burial and once I unlocked those slots I set utility artes to those instead.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I played the demo a bit more today and got a bit better handle on the combat, but I still just can't stand playing as casters without Zesty's "press button to upgrade a seraphic arte to the next highest arte". That's unfortunate, because I liked playing as Edna and Lailah (and even Mikleo after he got his unique casting-speed-increase staff). Actually, I only really like playing as Velvet and Eleanor, although I'm getting a bit better with Magilou. I'm picking this up slightly faster than I did with Zesty regardless, I think.

Apparently you can do things in combat to boost your "souls" to 4 or 5, but I'm not quite sure how. Doing enough damage with power hits?

I know that language drift is a thing and this game is set long before Zesty, but normally games ignore different languages and language drift. So is there some reason why this game uses "Malakim" instead of "Seraphim" and "Therion" instead of "Hellion"? It just seems like an odd thing to change words for two games set in the same universe.

By the way, is the localization-butchered Rengoku "dick joke" victory quote the one which ends with Magilou saying "and I can make mine as long as I want"? Because if so, good news, I got it.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 18, 2017

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Apparently you can do things in combat to boost your "souls" to 4 or 5, but I'm not quite sure how. Doing enough damage with power hits?

You gain Souls by:
  • Stunning the enemy (this is proc-based but it will be your main way of getting them)
  • Killing an enemy
  • Timed dodging (this also doesn't happen always but the rules are weird)
  • If an enemy uses a Break Soul
  • Using a Mystic Arte
  • Using Switch Blast; the character you switched to gets a Soul, you can switch and switch back for a free Soul if you have the BG on both characters
I think tagging them with a non-stun status (burn, poison, etc.) might help but I'm not 100% sure.

quote:

I know that language drift is a thing and this game is set long before Zesty, but normally games ignore different languages and language drift. So is there some reason why this game uses "Malakim instead od Seraphim and Therion instead of Hellion? It just seems like an odd thing to change words for two games set in the same universe.

Short answer: yes, there's a reason. (For the malak one, at least. Not sure about daemons. Therions are a type of daemon. That part's way less confusing in Japanese!)

quote:

By the way, is the localization-butchered Rengoku "dick joke" victory quote the one which ends with Magilou saying "and I can make mine as long as I want"? Because if so, good news, I got it.

It's not that one.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 18, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's the Rangetsu style one. The translation is a little... out of sorts?

Basically, Rokurou boasts about his family's swordsmanship, Eizen points out that he's using daggers, not the sword, Eleanor makes a joke about 'Rangetsu is really small, huh,' and Rokurou gets huffy. In the dub, they just say 'Rangetsu style' the whole time, so it's a little vague and hard to pick up on Eizen and Eleanor talking about the dagger/sword difference, and from there make the walk to swords = phallic.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

It's the Rangetsu style one. The translation is a little... out of sorts?

Basically, Rokurou boasts about his family's swordsmanship, Eizen points out that he's using daggers, not the sword, Eleanor makes a joke about 'Rangetsu is really small, huh,' and Rokurou gets huffy. In the dub, they just say 'Rangetsu style' the whole time, so it's a little vague and hard to pick up on Eizen and Eleanor talking about the dagger/sword difference, and from there make the walk to swords = phallic.

Never mind, you lost me. The joke I remember is just a non-sequitur where they're giving Rokurou poo poo after he says "and that's Rangetsu style!" by saying "is this Rangetsu style? Is this Rangetsu style?" They say ランゲツ流 perfectly regularly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

Never mind, you lost me. The joke I remember is just a non-sequitur where they're giving Rokurou poo poo after he says "and that's Rangetsu style!" by saying "is this Rangetsu style? Is this Rangetsu style?" They say ランゲツ流 perfectly regularly.

maybe i just misremembered the lines? did you get that win quote in the us demo?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

I think tagging them with a non-stun status (burn, poison, etc.) might help but I'm not 100% sure.

There's a lot of weird interacting between various status effects. Like reducing an enemy's attack ALSO makes them 4x more likely to be paralyzed by paralysis attacks, enemies weak to Earth are 2x likely to be slowed, enemies who are immune to water can't be poisoned, ect, ect. That includes stunning which seems more likely with paralysis among other things

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

maybe i just misremembered the lines? did you get that win quote in the us demo?

I haven't, but I remember it in Japanese. Eleanor's line is "so from here to here, that's Rangetsu style, right?" Rokurou's is "what exactly do you people think Rangetsu style is?"

e: found a Japanese wiki

quote:

ロクロウ:これが嵐月流だ!
アイゼン:てことはここは、嵐月流か?
ロクロウ:違うが?
エレノア:ここからここは、嵐月流ですね!
ロクロウ:嵐月流をなんだと思ってんだ!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The dick joke is the one where he's holding his hands in a formation that universally means a dick metaphor.

What's this confusing crap about enemies building immunity towards being stunned if you use the same move repeatedly?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

I haven't, but I remember it in Japanese. Eleanor's line is "so from here to here, that's Rangetsu style, right?" Rokurou's is "what exactly do you people think Rangetsu style is?"
I'll look up the JP in a second, but either way in the US it's just Eleanor going "So is this the Rangetsu style?" She's still doing the hand thing, but it's still a vaguer line.

edit: oh, ty. Maybe it was just a weird edit for lip flaps or something?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

The dick joke is the one where he's holding his hands in a formation that universally means a dick metaphor.

What's this confusing crap about enemies building immunity towards being stunned if you use the same move repeatedly?

Enemies in general seem to just dislike it if you use the same move over and over, I presume to avoid you just slapping a particularly OP move on and using it 5x in a row over and over.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Tae posted:

An arte's stun power decays if you keep using it in quick succession. Tales has been using actual damage decay for about as long as it's let you spam artes, so it seems straightforward to me.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So does like a full combo resets the counter, because one faq made it sound like it's something that permanently decays throughout the battle like super smash brothers or something. My strategy in the demo was looking at the weakness and slotting a weakness opener before getting the rest of whatever moves.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Dunno, I never bought the perfect guide which I think has detailed mechanical explanations for stuff. All I know is I don't remember ever having problems stunning in the long run.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I found a video of the English win quotes to go with my wiki and jeez, a bunch of them are just totally messed up.

Sorry, that includes the, uh, dick joke.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa24QR7eoNc

Half an hour of early game footage around Loegres. Shows a bunch of system stuff like items, sailing, accessories, and minigames.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 20, 2017

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Does anyone have screenshots of the reg outfits for everyone?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz1PxoQcMug

I'd like to buy it on Day one but I haven't cleared FFXV yet :sigh:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

GameStop near me started selling Berseria and some other games at 9pm so I'm all set to go now :getin:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Any word on any anime-based DLC costumes? This will entirely affect my decision to purchase.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

there are fairy tale and idolmaster cinderella girls ones

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Velvet is mad as hell and it rules.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Any word on any anime-based DLC costumes? This will entirely affect my decision to purchase.
we usually dont get those but we might get the cinderella girls ones because that's also bamco

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Posting in a Tales game thread for a Tales game that's good. It feels good.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
we got the evangelion costumes for zestiria so if we don't get idolm@ster costumes for berseria i will fight

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
How soon after launching the game can I make the main character(?) wear some actual clothes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Your Computer posted:

How soon after launching the game can I make the main character(?) wear some actual clothes?

You start the game with normal villager clothing. I think once Velvet gets the clothes on the box art you can change it right away.

• Locked thread