Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who are you playing?
Velvet
Rokurou
Eleanor
Eizen
Laphicet
Magilou
View Results

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

here's how you play eizen:

ditch
mash r2

grats

I think you mean Eleventh Hour :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm still mad it wasn't "Last Ditch."

e: as long as I'm backseating it should be "Last Ditch Smash" to match Zaveid's naming format.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 14, 2017

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
You don't need to smash, you can just hold it down.

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

going back a bit the loot system in berseria was by far the worst part of the game for me

im so over randomized equipment and superfluous stats in games that are not Diablo-likes that playing games like Dragon Quest(s) is a breath of fresh air

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It's not good, but it's not Zestiria.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think you mean Eleventh Hour :colbert:

I'm pretty sure they meant Coercion.

Seriously Eizen is loving bonkers once you realize his true nature is at mid range instead of close.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So I'm still slowly working my way through.

I'm playing on hard and feel like I'm basically constantly underleveled. I've just hit Velvet's home town again and a boss there was sitting at level 52 to my own level 38. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you're playing through the entire game on hard you're supposed to be underleveled.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
1) Playing on higher difficulties lowers your EXP gain. Are you on Hard+?
2) Are you fighting every enemy? I'm not there yet but I'm already like 45-47 or so.
3) Levels are ok but it seems like the bulk of my stats comes from equipment and abilities/titles that increase my stats by a bonus percentage. Are you keeping your forging up to date?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Do you have the titles that increase stun/status ailment rates equipped? Because those make a noticeable difference in how often you inflict them, which makes it way easier to hit above your weight along with forging shot for bonuses. And also make the game more fun. ABC (always be consuming).

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

The White Dragon posted:

1) Playing on higher difficulties lowers your EXP gain. Are you on Hard+?
2) Are you fighting every enemy? I'm not there yet but I'm already like 45-47 or so.
3) Levels are ok but it seems like the bulk of my stats comes from equipment and abilities/titles that increase my stats by a bonus percentage. Are you keeping your forging up to date?

1) Playing on Hard
2) I kill everything that gets in my way unless they're a particularly bothersome enemy, like a lot of the casters.
3) I barely ever forge anything because as soon as I've mastered it I dump the equipment for the next one along. I always forge Velvet's boots and weapons though.

Last Celebration posted:

Do you have the titles that increase stun/status ailment rates equipped? Because those make a noticeable difference in how often you inflict them, which makes it way easier to hit above your weight along with forging shot for bonuses. And also make the game more fun. ABC (always be consuming).

Every member of my party has the title that increases the rate of weapon mastery because of the above.

To clarify, I've not had too much trouble, the last boss was a bit of a pain because I came in with only 3 life bottles, but it just seems really dissonant that every single time I fight an enemy I get the quote saying that we're outmatched.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Yorkshire Tea posted:

3) I barely ever forge anything because as soon as I've mastered it I dump the equipment for the next one along. I always forge Velvet's boots and weapons though.

Definitely start keeping a copy of the most "useful" stuff to upgrade. I like to stack tons of Attack and Focus on Velvet, for example, so armor that gives either one in the secondary slot gets saved and she switches back to it after mastering new abilities. A +6 Rank 6 armor will probably have the same base defense, if not higher, than a +0 Rank 13 armor. Plus you get the benefit of tailoring your set to emphasize a particular stat. I've gotten Rokurou to the point where his Attack is so high thanks to his armor that he's breaking like 20k against current-tier enemies :v:

Are you doing chain battles? You should be mastering equipment really quickly, especially on Hard, clearing you up to switch back to whatever armor you like better than whatever you're currently using. It's also important to keep in mind that not all armor that normally gives defense actually gives defense: the Kingly Waistcoat or the Pink Shirt, for example, are purely for glass cannon loadouts and only give offensive stats. They're pretty dangerous to just put on because you're assuming they're an upgrade, and then suddenly you're missing 130 Defense because they don't give any at all.

e: i lie iirc technically the kingly waistcoat gives +8 arte defense from the mastery :v:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 15, 2017

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

The White Dragon posted:

Definitely start keeping a copy of the most "useful" stuff to upgrade. I like to stack tons of Attack and Focus on Velvet, for example, so armor that gives either one in the secondary slot gets saved and she switches back to it after mastering new abilities. A +6 Rank 6 armor will probably have the same base defense, if not higher, than a +0 Rank 13 armor. Plus you get the benefit of tailoring your set to emphasize a particular stat. I've gotten Rokurou to the point where his Attack is so high thanks to his armor that he's breaking like 20k against current-tier enemies :v:

Are you doing chain battles? You should be mastering equipment really quickly, especially on Hard, clearing you up to switch back to whatever armor you like better than whatever you're currently using. It's also important to keep in mind that not all armor that normally gives defense actually gives defense: the Kingly Waistcoat or the Pink Shirt, for example, are purely for glass cannon loadouts and only give offensive stats. They're pretty dangerous to just put on because you're assuming they're an upgrade, and then suddenly you're missing 130 Defense because they don't give any at all.

e: i lie iirc technically the kingly waistcoat gives +8 arte defense from the mastery :v:

Wait, what's a chain battle?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

lots of casters means use magilou

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Wait, what's a chain battle?

When you fight two monster groups at the same time. It gives them a boost in stats but it also dramatically increases the grade you earn.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

To clarify, I've not had too much trouble, the last boss was a bit of a pain because I came in with only 3 life bottles, but it just seems really dissonant that every single time I fight an enemy I get the quote saying that we're outmatched.

I mean if you're doing fine don't get too hung up on an arbitrary level, it doesn't mean anything but "enemy strong" which should be obvious if you're playing on a harder difficulty.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Hunt11 posted:

When you fight two monster groups at the same time. It gives them a boost in stats but it also dramatically increases the grade you earn.

Oh cool, I thought there was another mechanic going on.

Phantasium posted:

I mean if you're doing fine don't get too hung up on an arbitrary level, it doesn't mean anything but "enemy strong" which should be obvious if you're playing on a harder difficulty.

Yeah you're probably right, it's just a bit disconcerting. Like were I to make difficulties I probably wouldn't penalise EXP gain but instead make the enemies stronger.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

You get more money and more drops though, so it balances out pretty well.

Edit: Also the harder difficulties in this game in particular also do lots of little things like make your healing spells recover less health, or make you keep no BG on death so you can't just swap people around when you die.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
In the course of getting everyone's True XXXXXX title up to level 2, I got to play a lot with Eleanor and she is actually really fun. I still think Eizen's my favorite, but Eleanor is a nice little change of pace and I think her Break Soul is one of the more strategically fun to use.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
The really striking thing about Eleanor is how much damage she puts out compared to the rest of the squad. It's almost ridiculous in the right situation.

I'm usually playing Magilou, but when there are no casters around I almost always switch to Eizen or Eleanor. Eizen is crazy good at clearing up field battles with YOU'RE WIDE OPEN.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Shere posted:

The really striking thing about Eleanor is how much damage she puts out compared to the rest of the squad. It's almost ridiculous in the right situation.

I'm usually playing Magilou, but when there are no casters around I almost always switch to Eizen or Eleanor. Eizen is crazy good at clearing up field battles with YOU'RE WIDE OPEN.

I've honestly never noticed Eleanor's damage output and she's like my second most played character

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I wanted to use Elanor more, but she really didn't seem that effective most of the time. Her break soul in particular seemed to never work quite right. Compare her to Velvet who's essentially invincible, or Eizen the Master of Stunning.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

TheKingofSprings posted:

I've honestly never noticed Eleanor's damage output and she's like my second most played character

Even outside of anecdotal evidence, take a look at her Slash Beat goalpost compared to any other character's.

She's got a whole bunch of multi-hit attacks which snowballs into huge combos with damage bonuses to match.

Velvet is more usable in practice because she auto-adjusts to enemy typings.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I think Eleanor's initial Slash Beat high score is actually some kinda bug, because that 755k score disappeared long before I was ever able to beat it just from me posting ten other scores.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The number 765 is an old Namco in-joke that shows up wherever it wants, in Tales and other Namco games.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Spoiler for what I assume is the end of the second act:

Holy poo poo this is good. I felt the game was dragging a bit, but Christ the entire sequence from the attack on Titania to fighting Melchior was perfect. I'd figured there were shenanigans with original Laphicet not being dead, but I'd figured that he'd been reborn as new Laphicet. The whole "he's Inominat" thing actually surprised me. Velvet's entire reaction to the thing was dead on as well. It's really weird to see Tales games with characters that this believable.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, Velvets freakout and gradual unraveling was pretty great, I definitely appreciated the fact that for everything she says all along, that she actually felt something for all the morally dubious/outright bad things she did and how badly it messed her up that it was for less than nothing.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Spoiler for what I assume is the end of the second act:

Holy poo poo this is good. I felt the game was dragging a bit, but Christ the entire sequence from the attack on Titania to fighting Melchior was perfect. I'd figured there were shenanigans with original Laphicet not being dead, but I'd figured that he'd been reborn as new Laphicet. The whole "he's Inominat" thing actually surprised me. Velvet's entire reaction to the thing was dead on as well. It's really weird to see Tales games with characters that this believable.

I know I keep saying this but Tales as a series seems to have especial problems managing third acts so it's insanely impressive that Berseria nails it. I think this series is really vulnerable to the trap of not understanding how to connect the personal, small-scale writing and loud personalities that are its main selling point with the space monsters and superweapons that RPGs love to end on so it just sort of throws down a final boss and everyone says a lot about saving the world and protecting their friends. Vesperia is really infamous for this but I can't think of many that don't do this to some extent, but Berseria constantly ups the stakes while not making things stop being really personal for the characters. It's cool.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 18, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Tales of eternia and abyss manage it pretty well, and I think xillia would have managed it pretty well too if it didn't have to cut down its third act so much.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the common throughline between eternia, abyss, and berseria is that the final bosses are all connected to the protagonists in terms of backstory and setting from the word go, as opposed to symphonia where they try to set something up halfway, or rebirth where you fight a dragon made of racism.

granted eternia has the bait and switch, only actually explains Shizel halfway through, and she's connected to Meredy and not the actual protagonist, but still. All the best final bosses in the series are just dudes channeling superpowered angels or whatever, who you'd have conflict with with or without the supernatural element being involved. (Except maybe Shizel, what with the possession angle, but it's been ages but it always seemed like Shizel was at least semi-aware even though she had a demon hanging around)

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Rebirth... Yuris isn't a good final boss in a vacuum and if I were just listing them out it would obviously be dead last, but only because he's a metaphor for, uh, racism itself, which is very personal to all the characters and side NPCs in different ways and it just shows up because you can't cut racism with a greatsword.

And even after you cut racism with a greatsword, all the characters stand around talking about how the hate plague is gone but the real repairing of society is just beginning.

The most correct "main villain" would be Agarte, but Agarte doesn't fight you because the whole thing springs from her insecurities rather than malice or misguided conviction, so when Tales does final boss retro spreads (for instance, one of the Vesperia PS3 costume sets), the final boss is treated as Milhaust, who is the boss fight who embodies her insecurities most perfectly (as well as Veigue's). I think he's also the last thing you fight just before Yuris?

The second most correct "main villain" would be Zilva but she's just a racist rear end in a top hat.

Basically Rebirth is more complicated than the Wikipedia summary suggests, it just rolls out a series of embodiments of its actual issues for the strict purpose of having a good boss fight and those are the ones who make marquee.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 18, 2017

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

The actual best thing about the final battle in Berseria is there are not multiple fuckin fakeouts and forms. You gotta beat Artorius and Innominat and then you gotta take down armatized Artorius and then that's it. No final final final form of the boss. I don't know if it needs to be spoilered since the game's been out for a while but whatever.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Definitely a plus against the dumb gimmick of Zestiria.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 18, 2017

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm not done yet so spoiler tags are appreciated.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Why in the world does one fragment of anything cost the ridiculous prices in the mini-game store? I waited until the end when I had like 200k Tales coins and thought I'd be buying 99 void fragments for 60k or whatever but it was just one goddamn piece.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I do just hate the entire itemisation and upgrade system in this game. It's not as bad as Zestiria, but holy gently caress somebody badly needs to slap Namco and tell them that getting literally hundreds of versions of the same weapon stops making it feel special. Enhancing is just a giant pain when combined with a system that encourages you to swap out weapons and armour as soon as you master them.

Like seriously, their system is actually a really solid one if you JUST have the mastery part. It encourages you to swap weapons and theoretically you can hide away powerful skills behind side quests for additional interest.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

thank god for vesperia

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Sea Sponge Run posted:

thank god for vesperia

You mean the game where I accidentally sold a weapon early on and then got locked out of a tonne of upgrades barring a longass trip back to random town I'd forgotten about?

I suspect my impression of Vesperia is coloured by the fact that I wasn't able to easily play it for a lot of hours in a row though.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I mean I guess my actual complaint is that crafting systems almost always loving suck and have no place in videogames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sea Sponge Run posted:

thank god for vesperia

Vesperia's skill and weapon system is also bad.

• Locked thread