Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who are you playing?
Velvet
Rokurou
Eleanor
Eizen
Laphicet
Magilou
View Results

• Locked thread
Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
You know what.

I'm okay with telling endgame sidequests with no meaningful reward to gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The reward is the friends we made along the way.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm like, oh poo poo I finally get to meet Eizen's sister... oh wait no, it's some horseshit normin boss.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If there's a boss you get stuff from beating the boss

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Doesn't stop Phoenix from being horseshit tho.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I just turned it down to easy for that

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Sakurazuka posted:

If there's a boss you get stuff from beating the boss

Yeah but it's all garbage that's beaten by enhancing a thing a rank or two below a thousand times.

If Phoenix dropped Eizen's ultimate weapon that was better than anything else he could get, I would totally do it, but it's just all so lacklustre.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Yeah but it's all garbage that's beaten by enhancing a thing a rank or two below a thousand times.

If Phoenix dropped Eizen's ultimate weapon that was better than anything else he could get, I would totally do it, but it's just all so lacklustre.

It's more about the potentites from bosses but I can't remember what the Phoenix Glacite does and whether it's worth it.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
It's the one that adds that garbage "x% chance to revive on KO" skill to gear so no it's not even really worth the effort. If anything it just pollutes your gear with more garbage skills.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the phoenix sidequest is probably the worst in the game, most of the others ones are actually really good and totally worth doing, especially the zaveid one that ends his whole subplot with eizen. hell, even the crossover fight sidequest is better cause the fights are less of a drag

if you wanna see eizen's sister just watch a collection of skits from tales of zestiria. or watch the x

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 20, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

the phoenix sidequest is probably the worst in the game, most of the others ones are actually really good and totally worth doing, especially the zaveid one that ends his whole subplot with eizen. hell, even the crossover fight sidequest is better cause the fights are less of a drag
also because milla is cool

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yes let's make a boss with a tiny hitbox that rarely staggers and can move faster than your characters can quickstepping, give them revival mechanics, make them poo poo damage out, and then have them constantly change targets so they're zipping across the battlefield and then put that boss in two games.

gently caress Phoenix.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I tried it once and only once on chaos, it took me 12 life bottles to kill him once and then he revived and I felt like an idiot for bothering.

Even on moderate it's frustrating. His zero startup fire kick can just instantly gib anyone who isn't blocking and the range on it is such that he can dash across the room and kill you before you have much of a chance.

The whole fight is just a war of attrition that the combat system doesn't lend itself to at all. It would be hard even if dying didn't wipe your BG or you weren't entirely starved for souls.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I mean I guess my actual complaint is that crafting systems almost always loving suck and have no place in videogames.

This just makes me curious. Where is their place?

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

Endorph posted:

also because milla is cool

The crossover side quest is hilarious for the Milla pengyon fakeout.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I found Phoenix easy but that's because I just spammed Earth lance with Eizen all day as he just waddles across the arena chasing me.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Holy poo poo did they nail that ending.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Holy poo poo did they nail that ending.

Imagine, saying this about a Tales game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

hey you can say it about abyss and. uh.

i like xillia 2's but it's got issues.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

hey you can say it about abyss and. uh.

i like xillia 2's but it's got issues.

I like some of them but I wouldn't say "nailed" about many.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

brainwrinkle posted:

The crossover side quest is hilarious for the Milla pengyon fakeout.

I thought the Milla/Jude sidequest was pretty lacking tbh. Like, guys, you're ok characters but not enough for me to want to see you outside of your own game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Caphi posted:

Hey it happened with Phantasia.

No but seriously, i'm going to process and probably do a big one writeup on this game but I just didn't think a tales game would have the balls to go for a tragic ending and the credits are just such a kick in the gut.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Hey it happened with Phantasia.

No but seriously, i'm going to process and probably do a big one writeup on this game but I just didn't think a tales game would have the balls to go for a tragic ending and the credits are just such a kick in the gut.

Don't take this as a disagreement that Berseria has a great ending, because obviously I don't think that, but...

Bittersweet endings are extremely standard for Tales; I think in almost all of them something is lost, by either sacrifice or separation, but as a result, the world can move forward (and someone remembers/is waiting for whoever left). This is absolutely the tone of Berseria's. If anything Berseria runs with those tropes furthest, if best-executed.

Hell, Phantasia ends on tearful goodbyes between Arche/Claus and the rest (and Suzu) in both its actual and fakeout endings.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Caphi posted:

Don't take this as a disagreement that Berseria has a great ending, because obviously I don't think that, but...

Bittersweet endings are extremely standard for Tales; I think in almost all of them something is lost, by either sacrifice or separation, but as a result, the world can move forward (and someone remembers/is waiting for whoever left). This is absolutely the tone of Berseria's. If anything Berseria runs with those tropes furthest, if best-executed.

Hell, Phantasia ends on tearful goodbyes between Arche/Claus and the rest (and Suzu) in both its actual and fakeout endings.

I mean I feel it's a fair bit different here as by the end of the game every single member of Velvet's family is dead including herself. I honest to god thought they were going to give her an out because she's suffered so much, but no. Contrast to Phantasia where Cless, Mint and Chester go forward in time and straight to meet Arche again, Symphonia where everyone wins and everyone is happy and Zestiria where Sorei sacrifices himself but comes back in the post credits scene.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The ending of Abyss it perhaps the most interesting one the series has done. It looks to be all set for a happy ending but with Jade's expression you have no idea how it is all going to turn out.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

There's a level gap in what people think bittersweet is. Caphi leans towards more the literal definition while York is going more for the higher actual result. As an example:

Mobile Suit Gundam has all the crew together after the final battle of the war despite many comrades lost along the way-Caphi

Zeta Gundam has everyone dead and the main character is in a coma-York

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tae posted:

There's a level gap in what people think bittersweet is. Caphi leans towards more the literal definition while York is going more for the higher actual result. As an example:

Mobile Suit Gundam has all the crew together after the final battle of the war despite many comrades lost along the way-Caphi

Zeta Gundam has everyone dead and the main character is in a coma-York

Zeta's ending isn't bittersweet at all, that ends with Zeon winning, everybody died more or less for nothing

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The goal for Zeta was to beat the Titans and Scirocco. Axis rising as the superpower was a consequence of that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

The ending of Abyss it perhaps the most interesting one the series has done. It looks to be all set for a happy ending but with Jade's expression you have no idea how it is all going to turn out.
I still think it makes the most sense for it to be Luke, since Tear runs to him but Natalia doesn't, but one theory I've heard is that it's both and neither and that's what Jade's expression is about - someone with the memories of both Luke and Asch wouldn't quite be the same as either of them.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
It was Luke with long hair again with Asch hiding right behind him, because no other answer is narratively satisfying.

Berseria's ending was good, but I'm not sure what to call it. Everyone that plays it already knows Laphicet fucks up real bad, and it doesn't even take very long by Seraph standards for him to do so.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Float like a butterfly
Sting like a bee

And??

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Vesperia's skill and weapon system is also bad.

you shut the h*ck up

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

fisting by many posted:

you shut the h*ck up

The system base isn't that bad but the way Vesperia uses it is utterly dreadful.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

fisting by many posted:

you shut the h*ck up

I only speak the truth.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

This was my first Tales game I ever played - and the second JRPG I've ever played properly if you don't count FFXIV (Nearly finished Xenoblade). I pretty much impulse bought the game due to Magilou's English VA trailer.

The combat was decent enough/good for the first 30+ hours for sure, story was great, there's boat load of content, etc.
I liked the interaction between the characters, visuals were decent enough, both CGI and anime cutscenes were great, emotions were had, English VA was great, felt for a good while the game was worth 8.5 or so in score. So, the foundations for a great game were there. I almost sought out every battle I could get in the beginning but soon realized that's not very smart. I actually kinda liked the elements like trying to get high grade from multiple enemies to get some big rear end monster to visit you in the beginning. I was planning to do a NG+ with Japanese VA too...

But Jesus Christ the padding, length and pacing started to make me hate this game more than any other game I've played before. So many copy pasted corridors, so many enemies that feel inconsequential. I played most of the game on Hard and mostly played Magilou (probably a mistake). The game would definitely have benefited from clear chapters for pacing - most of the game it felt like there was no natural point for taking breaks. It's not even that story bits are far and wide between, it's just the breadth of all the encounters you have to do that really started to get me annoyed. I'm also usually competent in learning game mechanics, but the combat system started to really feel unrewarding, trite, tiresome and way too complex for its own good. The fact you have so many abilities and only have four which can be accessed without combos (Or 8 if you just use the first one) is garbage. The inventory management took probably good 30% of my playtime as well. Thank God I could run past most of the encounters when I started to get real sick of the game. I also did do the Phoenix encounter on Hard, only to have it resurrect at the end. I ended up eating supper, put the game on the easiest difficulty and auto control and watched the game play itself to get that encounter done.

I'm glad I finished the game and the ending cutscenes definitely redeemed it a bunch in the end, but the highest rating I could imagine this giving this game is 7.0 just due to the charm alone, anything lower feels a bit wrong.

But 84 hours 26 minutes later I have to say this was also the last Tales game I'll ever play unless they visibly address and fix the ridiculous padding this game has. It's not even that I'm incredibly busy, but this game felt like it really does not respect your time at all.

I'm pretty sure buying Witcher 3 from sale and finishing Witcher 2 on easy will feel refreshing after this game, Christ.

edit: No idea, honestly, it's not like bunch of that is afk time either. I did do all the side quests I could possibly find and all the "hunts" or w/e apart from the reflect one because I didn't have any reflect abilities/gear myself so I couldn't be bothered. And barely skipped any dialogue and listened to most of it.
|
v

Dessel fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 28, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
How did you take 80 hours I did 100% in 50.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I beat it in like 40 hours, how did you double that

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I mean I also took like 90 hours but that's because I was dicking around a lot and enjoying the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think I took about 60 playing on the hardest difficulty available and doing everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wait, why is only being able to use moves in combos bad. you want to be doing combos.

• Locked thread