Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who are you playing?
Velvet
Rokurou
Eleanor
Eizen
Laphicet
Magilou
View Results

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

Velvet's VA seems off.
yeah, the dub is kinda eh. jp voice options tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyway here's proof that it actually is berserk

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mabels big day posted:

if I like Berserk, and I liked Tales of Symphonia when i was a kid, will I like this game?

yeah, probably. don't expect it to be half as grimdark as berserk or anything tho, it's got a T rating.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

Anyway I'm also excited for this demo because I've never played a Tales with a mouse and keyboard before. How was Zestiria control-wise?
Mouse and Keyboard wasn't the best way to do things but it was fin. Berseria might be weirder since it's four attack buttons and not two.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The arte ball (spoilers: this game has an arte ball) makes using specific spells pretty easy if you're playing a caster-type, since you can just assign your various spells to the four buttons on that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You get it from the arena, iirc? So maybe something like 1/3rd-halfway through the game, depending on if you feel like going through the arena kind of underleveled.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

blame the post-battle skits on the translation, they were great in japanese

edit: also, did you have the ai choosing for the a-string? because if you don't assign a specific arte the ai will choose basically at random. directional inputs only affect your facing, not the attack.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Are you on PC or PS4? If you're on PC, might be some weird problem with your resolution setting vs your screen's resolution.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

just use jp voices if you dislike the dub, the jp cast is great even if you don't know japanese and they've subbed just about everything.

edit: Also, to anyone concerned about, uh, anything, from Zestiria, it's worth noting that they banished the guy at the head of that game to another dimension and replaced him with two new guys who seem to know what they're doing. Probably worth putting that in the OP, too, since it's a sign of just how much they regret shipping Zestiria in the state it was in.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ending of zestiria:

sorey: hideo baba
rose: fukaya
mikleo: takeshi hasegawa

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Super No Vacancy posted:

how are the babes in this game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Interesting notes on Magilou from the design book: She originally had a more 'evil' design. And, uh, bigger boobs. Really glad they didn't go with either of those.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

even ignoring the character design aspect of it, i think her being kind of flat makes her more attractive? it gives her body a more unique 'line' to draw. like with big boobs it's just hey!! titties!!!! but like this she has a sexy outfit but a kind of lithe build, which blend well together. she's got an attractive demeanor anyway, and if you remove the doofy hat she's actually a really gorgeous elf lady, so she doesn't need boobs to be attractive.

i thought this was the tales series thread.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

I don't know what an arte ball is OP

you get double the amount of arte slots later in the game, via holding down a button

so r1 + x can have different artes than regular x, for instance

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

I didn't call it an arte ball, I explained it.
ill call you an arte ball

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly it kind of pans out that way in berseria, too. I'm pretty sure I had the arte ball by the time I got to the point the demo is at.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's the Rangetsu style one. The translation is a little... out of sorts?

Basically, Rokurou boasts about his family's swordsmanship, Eizen points out that he's using daggers, not the sword, Eleanor makes a joke about 'Rangetsu is really small, huh,' and Rokurou gets huffy. In the dub, they just say 'Rangetsu style' the whole time, so it's a little vague and hard to pick up on Eizen and Eleanor talking about the dagger/sword difference, and from there make the walk to swords = phallic.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

Never mind, you lost me. The joke I remember is just a non-sequitur where they're giving Rokurou poo poo after he says "and that's Rangetsu style!" by saying "is this Rangetsu style? Is this Rangetsu style?" They say ランゲツ流 perfectly regularly.

maybe i just misremembered the lines? did you get that win quote in the us demo?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

I haven't, but I remember it in Japanese. Eleanor's line is "so from here to here, that's Rangetsu style, right?" Rokurou's is "what exactly do you people think Rangetsu style is?"
I'll look up the JP in a second, but either way in the US it's just Eleanor going "So is this the Rangetsu style?" She's still doing the hand thing, but it's still a vaguer line.

edit: oh, ty. Maybe it was just a weird edit for lip flaps or something?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Any word on any anime-based DLC costumes? This will entirely affect my decision to purchase.
we usually dont get those but we might get the cinderella girls ones because that's also bamco

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people ask it literally every five minutes because they cant appreciate velvet's cool cape

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Momomo posted:

Gonna have to wait on getting this game for a little bit, but hopefully it ends up being good. The localization stuff has me a little worried though. Zesty didn't seem bad in that regard, but the menus clearly had issues in the editing department, and it sounds like that's spreading to other parts of the game this time.
It seems like it's basically the same as Zestiria from where I'm standing. Zestiria had some typos in the subs, awkward win quotes, hosed up tutorials, but perfectly fine main story/skits.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gotta give cristina vee credit: i still am not really keen on her main-game performance, but she sells the prologue stuff really well

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

Huh, that's out of order. Sucks to be y'all, the first Japanese catalog had the pirate outfits which all own to a one.
yeah, but it's also ten dollars for nine costumes, as opposed to three dollars per costume.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Am I supposed to know what a malakhim is right away? Like is there some supplemental material (or Zestiria?) that introduced that, or should I just be a little confused by all of it at the beginning?

I know it's hebrew for angel so that was enough of a hint anyway.
Nah, it's something that's explained as you go along.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I was watching my friend play this earlier and pleasantly learned that it is not Berserk. It's Berserk with some HxH, which is nice.
also some hellsing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

trigger did the fates cutscenes iirc

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Am I gonna wanna do the usual thing and switch to JP voiceover even though I don't know a single word of japanese, or what
the dub party is fine but some of the side characters in the dub seemingly have really low-rent VAs. you can switch between the two options whenever you launch the game tho so you can just try both out and see which you like best

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Game is fantastic so far. I guess my only complaint so far is that the post battle skits are pretty meh, but that was also true in Zestiria.
and just like in zesty it's mostly an issue of translation and the good post-battle skits only being unlocked when you have a full party

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ometeotl posted:

How long until Magilou actually joins my drat party?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Failboattootoot posted:

I have to give it to the Tales writers; literally every tales game I've played has had a character who was nothing but insufferable and drags down the entire experience. This game owns hard but every second Magliou is around is excruciating.
Magilou is the best character in the game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think Magilou is cool because it's like she's totally aware that she's a wacky dark horse 'saving the game' character and everyone hates her for it, and her character and real motivations are revealed more in what she doesn't choose to joke about than in her wackiness, and when she gets deep it doesn't come out of left field and is actually pretty clever commentary on the game's plot and characters, and also she's a goofy kabuki witch who vaguely hits on velvet

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Failboattootoot posted:

She is the epitome of the worthless bard stereotype from D&D combined with being a petty lovely rear end in a top hat. How anyone can enjoy that just because, "she sells it" is beyond me.
because both she and the other characters are aware of it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I played through the prison escape last night and I already kinda love the cast.

Please tell me that the blonde haired dork (Oscar, I think?) comes back with burn scars after being owned so badly. That particular part of the scene had me laughing in spite of myself.
he actually does

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Alder posted:

OP mentioned after the tutorial you can get a new starter outfit.

you get it automatically, no need to actually hunt it down anywhere. just go to your fashion menu after you get out of the prison and it should be there.

you can also get velvet's waiter outfit from the minigame in the crime tavern. i forgot the name of the city so im just calling it the crime tavern. anyway, there's an npc off to the side that'll offer to let you play the diner dash minigame. beat it with laphicet and you'll unlock velvet's level, and beat velvet's and you get her waiter outfit. it's pretty much just a loose white shirt and black pants so it doesn't really look out of place if you stick velvet in it for the entire game, and the way the shirt is kinda loose actually makes it look a little pirate-y so it fits.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I forgot to do this before leaving there. Will I get another opportunity eventually?
yeah you go back there later, though not for a a good while iirc

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Endorph Caphi teach me how to be good with Eleanor
youre gonna have to ask caphi on this one i barely even used her

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i usually play whoever's the most plot relevant at the moment, like in abyss whenever the god general battles came up i played with their rival

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

If you're playing Velvet probably hard, anyone else uhhhh idk

i think eizen is actually better than velvet once you get a bit into the game. velvet is a paper shredder when it comes to bosses but eizen completely demolishes random encounters with just ditch > draconic drive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

i tried to play rokurou and im sure theres a way to make it work but next to velvet he felt like a gentle breeze of light pokes compared to a whirlwind of death
Rokurou can counter literally everything in the game, including ridiculous boss attacks. It's hilarious.

• Locked thread