Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Made the Greatest Contribution to Western Philosophy?
Plato
Ayn Rand
Immanual Kant
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Kierkegaard is great and fear and trembling is great

I was really into Camus when I was a non-believer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

thanks for this post op, probably going to grab a copy of being and nothingness on your recommendation. peace.

I have a copy of this book but shamefully I've never read jt

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Sandwolf posted:

Yo this thread is great, thanks. Added a couple books to the reading list.

are there any 21st century existentialists? What did existentialism/nihilism evolve into? What even is modern philosophy like?

After existentialism came deconstructionism, critical theory, post structuralism, post modernity , and contemporary philosophical edging which hadn't really settled on a name yet

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

signalnoise posted:

Yes, if you're a hedonist

Basically everyone should be a hedonist though

Lol wow :sad:

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

A fun thing to do to get into contemporary philosophy is to read a ton of Zizek and study all the people he references constantly

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

signalnoise posted:

Useful but not respected vs Interesting but not respected

Lol :pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=royTfXaUb2A

• Locked thread