Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
It's time for AFCON 2017, an actually good continental tournament with sixteen teams. That's right sixteen, not twenty four. It's time for a tournament where teams play exciting football, 3rd place garbage teams are rightfully sent packing, and fans are actually good.

AFCON 2017 will be taking place in Gabon, a tiny west African country of 1.5 million people that most of you probably only know about because of Aubameyang.

Groups

Gabon, Cameroon, Algeria, Senegal (?), Ivory Coast, Congo, Ghana, and Egypt (?) should probably make it out of their respective groups. Morocco lost like four starters and everything else seems pretty straight forward.
I predict returning champions Ivory Coast will run the table and meet either Gabon or Ghana in the finals and become back to back champions. The Ivory Coast has lost some fire power up front but has a good defense which is a rarity in this tournament.

Good Goals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfQIdekYjm8

Good Fans

Shenanigans

Click on Gervinho's forehead to get pumped

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

curried lamb of God posted:

I'm a lunatic living in the Congo so I'm rooting for them

Did you think about going to this cup? Gabon is close (assuming you're in Kinshasa and not the heart of darkness) and the tickets are dirt cheap.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Bein sports running Barca over this, some bullshit. At least the Cameroon game is live.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Gigi Galli posted:

You know this, but for anyone watching in the U.S. that doesn't, if Barca or Real Madrid are playing, that's what's on Bein.

Yea half my posting history in TRP is probably complaining about bein. THis is what their official stream looks like on highspeed internet.

Oh yeah and I'm using firefox to view it because chromes isn't supported. Russian streams are legitmately much higher quality than bein's official streaming service but I guess they don't care about afcon because I can't find any.

e- Is Lemina any good?

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 14, 2017

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

trem_two posted:

I wouldn't have spent my precious avatar money on him if he wasn't

lol nice, I've had avatars turned off for like three years now.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I love long throw ins into the box. Ndong looks pretty poo poo and Guinea Bissau have figured out Gabon's "get the ball to Aubameyang gameplan"

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

That Gabonese player stumbling over himself in the box was A-League level.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I was just about to write I was surprised that this was being reffed rather well + fairly and then that happened

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Not a card! Also nice halftime rap concert

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The get the ball to Aubameyang trick worked

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

This crowd is going nuts for their average keeper who plays in Belgium. I love when countries rally around their crap keepers

trem_two posted:

Periodic reminder that Milan essentially just gave him away to St Etienne

Why?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

And the opening day win is ruined for Gabon. They were asleep for most of the second half so it's not undeserved.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Nice freekick from Cameroon. They've been really good so far, I barely recognize anyone though, I guess a lot of the old guard retired.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

How did he not pass that. lol

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

So they're on strike but they will play....

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Also Algeria Zimbabwe is on Bein and 2 minutes behind espns score tracker. I just learned that the hard way, 1-1.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Thats a highly questionable pen

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Also it appears Rais M'Bohli the Algerian keeper best known for almost knocking Germany out of the last world cup and then completely skipping out on his contract with the Philadelphia Union now appears to have a teardrop face tatoo.

quote:

On 30 July 2014, M'Bolhi was unveiled as a new signing of Major League Soccer club Philadelphia Union.[17] M'Bohli was previously linked to Trabzonspor, where he could have joined manager Vahid Halilhodžić and team-mate Carl Medjani.[18]However, his debut was delayed until 25 August (a 4:2 home win over San Jose Earthquakes)[19] after he was involved in a car accident in Paris, France and had to resolve paperwork issue. M'Bolhi was presented with number 92 shirt for the club.[20][21]However, as of 8 April, M'Bolhi was benched by the Union's head coach, Jim Curtin, citing poor performance during the Philadelphia Union vs. Sporting Kansas City game on 5 April.[22]After playing in only 9 matches in the 2015 season, head coach, Jim Curtin said that M'Bolhi will never play again for Philadelphia.[23] M'Bohli is rated as one of the worst signings in club history.[24]

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Yea, Also btw Mahrez bailed Algeria out, they could've easily still lost 3-2. Slimani was garbage. I forgot Senegal had certain players like Mane and Keita so they'll probably do better than I originally expected.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Things are not looking good for Gabon atm. Good game so far

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Gabon is going to have to draw or beat cameroon to advance. Burkina Faso is on the same points and GD. BF or Guinea Bissau will leapfrog Gabon if Gabon draws and one of those two win. Cameroon has actually been decent this tournament so that should be tough. I'd like Gabon to go through but the team is one dimensional and all about Aubameyang.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Is the guy who plays in Astana any good or just having a good tournament?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The games have been either really bad or really good thus far. Some surprising results when it comes to the standings with one game left in the groups.

Gabon needs a result against a really good Cameroon team tomorrow to advance. Or they need to hope that they draw and Guinea and Burkina Faso draw as well. Algeria has been the overhyped underperformer of the tournament thus far, the AFCON Belgium if you will. They need a win against Senegal who have been the best team along with Ghana (imo). Ivory Coast has looked good but also underperformed and they need a win over morocco on tuesday to advance. Ghana and Egypt are already through. I think Ivory Coast have been unlucky and Morocco only have one win over a lovely team so the Ivory Coast should advance.

Good games coming up!

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 21, 2017

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Much like the continent of Africa, this Afcon thread is being largely ignored by the rest of the world. A shame! Gabon is now officially out of the cup after a ridiculous 0-0 draw. Gabon had about 10 legit chances in the first twenty minutes to get a goal but continued to choke. Aubameyang missed a sitter that he would bury 99 times out of 100 at one point in big-game Higuain fashion.

http://streamable.com/emeex

Burkina Faso and Cameroon advance. Algeria and Tunisia are battling for 2nd place in group B at the moment with Tunisia in the driver's seat.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I'm still watching, but a lot of these matches have been pretty boring

Algeria needs to beat Senegal and have Zimbabwe beat Tunisia to advance, but it's not looking good right now. Slimani scored to put up Algeria 1-0, but Tunisia are also up 2-0 at the moment.

I've been watching live on the weekend and dvring during the week and most of the matches have been entertaining imo. As much as some of the hyped up teams have disappointed the minnows have been exciting. The knockouts will be good,

e- 3-0 Tunisia, rip Algeria you were a poo poo Belgium.

Gigi Galli posted:

That is baaaaad

You can watch this thrilling action live too on Bein!

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bummed the Ivory Coast is out, shameful showing.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Those are all exciting matchups. The BF Tunisia one is least appealing/probably the weakest but I'll probably watch the rest.

I'm thinking Egypt vs ??? in the final. My predictions have been poo poo so far.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The reffing has been pretty light all tournament but since the games haven't gotten out of hand I like it

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Hahahaha that was some goal for Burkina Faso, their defense cleared a Tunisian corner into the opposite half and the Tunisian keeper misjudged it, allowing a Burkina player to latch on and pass it into the net

edit: http://streamable.com/8mjq2

Yea that was dumb but Burkina Faso has had a good tournament. Tunisia was slow and boring. The french Bein commentary is so much better than the english.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I want Senegal to take this. I like both teams though. Also Matteo Bonetti sounds like he needs to be given a swirly

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

How are they not scoring right now

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ffs Balde

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ondoa bailed Cameroon out of that game multiple times

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Man I missed this one. What happened?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I want Burkina Faso to win. They've been having a nice tournament.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Salah is gonna sky it

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Also I'm the Burkina Faso player wearing a gold chain and no shirt on the pitch talking to the keeper

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

here we go!

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The keeper took the 4th penalty, why!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

ffs

• Locked thread