Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Well if you feel like moth balling the thing and coming back I am sure we'll always be still plugging away at the game for mulltiplayer antics. But yeah, LP was interesting to do and be a part of!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Last multiplayer video I swear.

I completely forgot I was recording during this video, I've been playing with a lot of the people in the chat for years and our in-game conversations almost never touch on the game, so you get to hear about my incredibly bony rear end in this video. If you have good office chair recommendations please send them to me, I was being serious.

Fao Fortress is a bad map. Not because DICE did a bad job with the map, there's a good amount of cover, high points, low points, flanking routes and areas that seem open but can become chokepoints if a dedicated team is ready to make them that way. The problem is the big loving fort:

I don't know how much I can complain about this round, though, my team did a decent job of staying the gently caress away from it for once. Usually you can get a screen cap of a dozen or so people on the walls of the fort trying to fire at the other points on the map (or having the points in the fort capped from behind them because turning around is too much). More than anything that is the downfall of the map. The scout class is either the most popular or second most popular class in the game. The class's sniper rifles are a huge draw over the things like flares and trench periscope which are actually useful to the team. The fort provides a good amount of cover and a decent vantage point, two things every sniper desires. Most people would look at the D point of the map with the two overlooking hills and think that would be more popular. It is frequently densely populated for sure, but the open nature of the hills and the difficult to defend nature of the D point means that the average sniper is no safer on those hills than any other hill/bluff/cliff in the game. In the fort you have a wide plain with all the other capture points across the way on one side and if the enemy wants the fort they will either have to try to flank around the back or take a boat to one of the sides and jump out. The fort is actually pretty easy to take from a sniper team, but if you get a few worthwhile people backing them up you are in for a fight. One of the points of the fort features a few different 75mm guns and a AA turret, which means it makes some sense to dig in at the fort occasionally. The trouble is that teams too often get locked in the fort because there are only a few exits and getting to another capture point means running across a big mostly flat plain (that should sound familiar), meaning the other team, if they have you corralled, can more or less pick off anyone who gets it in their head to leave the fort.

Do not take the fort, it is a deathtrap.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
It's a bad map because if the other team is inside fort sniper magnet and can actually aim, you need smoke to move between B-C-D. I can't think of an open map that has enough sight blockers other than Quentin's.

I find the Ergohuman mesh chair comfortable for long periods of time, taller people who've sat in it like it too but they're too tall to make use of the headrest even if the back is set straight.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I just find it amusing that pubbies like to camp and lose the game around the landmarks that are themed around the map, like they think they are suppose to do that.

'We got to take the Fort/Ballroom! IT'S THE NAME OF THE MAP GUYS!'

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

In the spirit of this thread, Forgotten Weapons did a test of the T-Gewehr to see how effective it was at penetrating tanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzDfUKNwfGc

A 45 degree angle is enough to keep it from penetrating.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Delacroix posted:

It's a bad map because if the other team is inside fort sniper magnet and can actually aim, you need smoke to move between B-C-D. I can't think of an open map that has enough sight blockers other than Quentin's.

I find the Ergohuman mesh chair comfortable for long periods of time, taller people who've sat in it like it too but they're too tall to make use of the headrest even if the back is set straight.

Nice looking chairs. Do they sell any that aren't hundreds of dollars?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

The long awaited last single player video.

For this video both SeanBeansShako and Shogeton joined me for commentary and I have to say that the latter was brought in by the former because Shogeton is Belgian and had some stuff to say about the War from a Belgian's perspective. This was one of the things I really wanted to cover through the LP and sadly one of the things I failed to address through a wide array of guests from different parts of the world. I had even floated suggestions to people from WWI belligerents like a month before I started this and then just never got in contact with them again because I am, at the end of the day, really really bad about that sort of thing. When SBS brought Shogeton into the chat I felt like I had at least accomplished something with regards to talking WWI with people from countries heavily effected by the war, so a sincere thanks to both of them for helping close out the LP.

The level itself is not overly interesting in design or layout. You sneak for a bit and then things get loud in the latter half as you rush between points. What's weird is that this last part of the video is one of those "once in the game experience" moments, no where else are you trying to take down a train with field guns while it fires mortars and shells back at you. However, this does not make the actions interesting by themselves. In truth I cut out about four attempts here because I was just not getting the timing down on the shells being dropped on me, but once you do the segment is more or less trivial. There aren't more than a few Ottomans spawning in and attacking at any given time, and your own AI friends are capable of handling them for the most part. That means this boils down to a sort of fight against a really big, less maneuverable tank.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
Titlecard has a typo there. :shobon:

I avoided using the field guns for the same reason I'm averse to using stationary weapons in MP, the train mortar will blow up the gun and there's nothing a medic can do about it. dice has always coded manned weapons as vehicles. I just burst it down with pre-laid TNT, the AT nades everywhere and used the multiple tankgewehrs to kill the train.

UKF cavalry spawning as tribesmen or tribeswomen would be fantastic, enraging the reddit crowd as a bonus.

One thing I always took away from WW1 (before I discovered blackadder even) was how disparate the thinking between people who thought it would be a great character building exercise for young people and spun up heroic nationalistic PR campaigns...and then people the war spat out wrote fiction or poems borne from the completely pointless debacle.

Lazyfire posted:

Nice looking chairs. Do they sell any that aren't hundreds of dollars?

I don't think so, sadly. :( I subscribed to the Vimes Boots theory on chairs until I saw that model on heavy discount (Australia rarely has good sales from brick and mortar stores, or didn't until we decided to 'celebrate' black friday) and chose that moment to abandon years of crappy chairs and bad posture.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 12, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Dang, Zara got one hell of an arm on her.

The one thing I find interesting, as well as incredibly sad, is despite the 'never again' attitude and the horrors of the war was how readily violence was returned to. Prof. Ian Kershaw has a good book about the period between the world wars which discusses how pro-War attitudes from Industrial modernist positions was replaced by pro-War attitudes from Nationalistic and Racial attitudes.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yeah, the frustrated and sad poetry and other creative stuff during and after the war was basically a combination of coping with stress and the suffering with the whole situation that got out of control so fast.

Basically, at the turn of the 20th century there was big feeling of hope and change. Slowly but surely it was becoming evident the old 19th century way of things were eroding or vanishing (the first of the old Empires, Spain pretty much had collapsed entirely) with both liberal and social ideas picking up the pace alongside the rising living standards. The soldiers and people who had found themselves dragged into this mess were much more educated and more mobile than anyway had been before and the concept of a four year long mechanised hell war was something nobody had really imagined or prepared for.

In the first story with the tank driver, you just get a brief but clever slice of his life pre-war as a flashback after a majority of the poo poo he went through before the war and even if it was barely twenty seconds like I think it does a good job showing the extremes of what I am talking about.

Anyway, I also was going to bring up the coming Call Of Duty game but I had a cold and Shogeton was really getting into explaining how Belgium dealt with the war (if you are curious, the Belgian Army shared the Belgian part of the front line with the British on the left flank of the French, their modern uniforms were a weird combination of French design and British style khaki brown and they used a combination of German and Belgian produced weaponry, they fought pretty well. Early war uniforms were straight out the mid 19th century) but I'll just say my piece now.

BF1's story stuff wasn't perfect, It went all over the place with the tone changing with the setting and was quite jarring at times. But they tried. They had a simple goal of making people at least remember and look into the conflict and remind them that it was a global war. It seems oddly enough the coming Call Of Duty game is trying to emulate this but I think we all feel their single player isn't going to be as interesting.

I do think any game with a serious historical setting should not be touched by PR people no matter what studio. They hilariously miss the point hard.

Anyway, thanks for the LP Lazyfire. Good luck with your next project.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Yes, thanks for the LP.

I was only really watching the singleplayer videos. I don't play multiplayer games anymore - especially competitive multiplayer - so those videos were mostly impenetrable for me.

Not a lot to comment on with the singleplayer (that wasn't covered in the videos). If you're only in it for the singleplayer, COD-style games are incredibly slight.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

My god the last couple days have been the definition of timesinks.

Delacroix posted:

Titlecard has a typo there. :shobon:

...I don't think so, sadly. :( I subscribed to the Vimes Boots theory on chairs until I saw that model on heavy discount (Australia rarely has good sales from brick and mortar stores, or didn't until we decided to 'celebrate' black friday) and chose that moment to abandon years of crappy chairs and bad posture.

I'll fix that titlecard someday. Maybe. I'm thinking of taking the plunge on a nice chair sometime after I get back from vacation. It'll be nice to have a comfortable seat while working on the next thing.

Samovar posted:

The one thing I find interesting, as well as incredibly sad, is despite the 'never again' attitude and the horrors of the war was how readily violence was returned to. Prof. Ian Kershaw has a good book about the period between the world wars which discusses how pro-War attitudes from Industrial modernist positions was replaced by pro-War attitudes from Nationalistic and Racial attitudes.

I think the "never again" attitude was more prevalent in the allied countries (that weren't Italy). They lost a generation of men to WWI but came out in better shape than Germany and Austria after the Treaty of Versailles, which made it easier for them to look at the war retrospectively while a country like Germany had deeper problems and could point to the treaty as the reason behind many of them, even if it wasn't totally correct.

SeanBeansShako posted:

BF1's story stuff wasn't perfect, It went all over the place with the tone changing with the setting and was quite jarring at times. But they tried. They had a simple goal of making people at least remember and look into the conflict and remind them that it was a global war. It seems oddly enough the coming Call Of Duty game is trying to emulate this but I think we all feel their single player isn't going to be as interesting.

I do think any game with a serious historical setting should not be touched by PR people no matter what studio. They hilariously miss the point hard.

Anyway, thanks for the LP Lazyfire. Good luck with your next project.

I thought the BF1 campaign did a pretty good job of sending you to different locations and seeing different sides of WWI instead of just tossing you on the Western Front and making you play as a single character the entire time like the last couple games have. They recognized how weak their SP component has been and tried to remedy it by not trying to make an overarching and coherent story that tied in all the locations they wanted to use for MP.

Interestingly enough, the COD: WWII is ditching the "play as three different people in three armies" perspective the old WWII CoDs used and instead following just the Americans from D-Day on. They've basically looped around to make a Medal of Honor game.

Antistar01 posted:

Yes, thanks for the LP.

I was only really watching the singleplayer videos. I don't play multiplayer games anymore - especially competitive multiplayer - so those videos were mostly impenetrable for me.

Not a lot to comment on with the singleplayer (that wasn't covered in the videos). If you're only in it for the singleplayer, COD-style games are incredibly slight.

The issue I take with the single player in this game is that while you don't stay in any one setting or location too long, it also makes it near impossible for them to implement a decent gameplay loop. I think sneaking around and stalking enemies is the only constant (and only in the Italian levels for a hot minute), but because they gave a chapter over to driving a tank and another to flying a plane, there wasn't much they could do to keep things super interesting or develop the series of repeatable events that are needed to create a decent loop. I've actually spent a weird amount of time thinking about that lately and how BF1 created the building blocks (set piece fight, stealth section, Italian Terminator mode) but then never really bothered putting them together in a real way because each chapter had a sort of gimmick around equipment or circumstances of the character. In most gameplay loops the gimmick section is a single part of the level, but in BF1 the gimmick is often the defining characteristic of a War Story, which makes the game feel disjointed and all over the place in terms of gameplay.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I just wish that your character in the final War Story ever really, like...talked or was given her own agency. You may not be playing as Lawrence, but it ends up being dominated by him narratively anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

malkav11 posted:

I just wish that your character in the final War Story ever really, like...talked or was given her own agency. You may not be playing as Lawrence, but it ends up being dominated by him narratively anyway.

I think that might be intentional.

• Locked thread