Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

SeanBeansShako posted:

You know in Star Wars when Han Solo is chasing that patrol of Stormtroopers and he and Chewbacca blunder right into that Hanger full of them? that was basically our shared experience of reaching that last spawn and encountering the constantly respawning French teams.

It was brutal for sure and I was enjoying it when I wasn't getting Air Bursted by that guy in the French spawn. Still hate the MP-18 optical but two headshots away from never using it again. We did much better in the second French operation we did that night!

The second French Op was a lot of fun because we finally fulfilled our destinies as a coordinated team that can overcum (you are welcome, Strangelove) stupid odds. By most reasonable metrics we completely chumped that other team.

If there's some interest in more Ops I have Friday off this week and will be up late Thursday. Rest of the weekend is a bit more iffy simply because of the holiday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I roped Sean Bean's Shako into doing this video with me and he knows far more about the War than I do and also more about the game in general, so there's a lot of really good knowledge spread throughout this video.

One of the more glossed over parts of WWI was Arab Revolt against the Ottoman Empire, it generally ends up taking a back seat to the European Theater where major powers were going head to head in a bloody stalemate. By comparison, the Arab Revolt was a guerrilla war that was focused on raids and infrastructure destruction more than head to head battles and sieges. When we do see the revolt up close it is usually with heavy deference to Lawrence of Arabia rather than the actual members of the revolt. Oddly enough, this is the only war story in the game with a real life person in it, and one of the most famous figures of WWI and the game ends up relegating him to cameo appearances and voice over work. I have to imagine that someone at EA was clamoring for the player to control Lawrence and that the writer of the game talked them down to having him appear in the chapter and nothing more. It's heartening to see at least a little bit of an effort to acknowledge that the Arab Revolt involved, well, Arabs and not a lone British guy blowing poo poo up.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I sadly forgot to mention that BF1 actually revived the 1942 WW1 mod who are working on adding Serbian campaign stuff to the game.

As for the events of the War Story, the Arab Revolt also kept some of the Ottoman heat from the Commonwealth and ANZAC forces fighting in the Middle East too. One offensive over reached and got severed after a painful siege, another petered out and they are still building up for the mechanised modern one that Sinai is baised on.

Also, a few days later after talking about needing more night maps the Nivelle one shows up.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 14, 2017

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Lazyfire posted:

One of the more glossed over parts of WWI was Arab Revolt against the Ottoman Empire, it generally ends up taking a back seat to the European Theater where major powers were going head to head in a bloody stalemate. By comparison, the Arab Revolt was a guerrilla war that was focused on raids and infrastructure destruction more than head to head battles and sieges. When we do see the revolt up close it is usually with heavy deference to Lawrence of Arabia rather than the actual members of the revolt. Oddly enough, this is the only war story in the game with a real life person in it, and one of the most famous figures of WWI and the game ends up relegating him to cameo appearances and voice over work. I have to imagine that someone at EA was clamoring for the player to control Lawrence and that the writer of the game talked them down to having him appear in the chapter and nothing more. It's heartening to see at least a little bit of an effort to acknowledge that the Arab Revolt involved, well, Arabs and not a lone British guy blowing poo poo up.

That's not really what the movie portrays the Arab revolt as either. Though I guess there is a lot of other media that just portrays the Arab revolt as "the adventures of Lawrence of Arabia".

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Isn't the movie sort of based on the semi fictional accounts he wrote about to deal with his PTSD anyway?

Anyways, I am down for some Operations at the end of the week/weekend.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

SeanBeansShako posted:

Isn't the movie sort of based on the semi fictional accounts he wrote about to deal with his PTSD anyway?

Yeah, I held off on mentioning the movie because it is named after the guy, so of course he plays a major role. I was more thinking that basically any other media about Arabia in WWI has traditionally been about Larry's exploits than not.

Ops sounds good, I'll be on Saturday. We can try for early so Euro goons can play on local servers for a change.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah, it's a great character piece really and portrays him as a very flawed character who eventually just pretty much snaps. He's also constantly used by others throughout the movie to further their own motives when he's necessary, chiefly Feisal and Allenby. At the end he's kind of just a pathetic wreck.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Finally, Teamwork proves to be OP. I was thinking the other day that Battlefield games are often fights against your teammates as much as they are against the other team. If you have a bunch of snipers on a hill somewhere or a bunch of medics not doing any healing you end up with an ineffective group that will have trouble competing with a team with even slightly better class balance/usage. This match goes to show how powerful a coordinated group can really be in that regard. We knew tanks were coming, so we equipped a bunch of anti-armor weaponry, called out tank locations and even occasionally spawned in with the little-seen repair tools to help our own armor. Because of that it took a near Herculean effort for the other team to make progress, even with a super heavy tank wandering the battlefield.

I don't want to hold this up as exactly what happens with balanced or focused teams, though. We've had plenty of really good setups in the Operations we've done. On Iron Walls we were more or less perfectly balanced to take on the average enemy team, but we got steamrolled because the other team was simply that good and hit us with so little caution that we often didn't have time to regroup after retreating. Sometimes you simply can't counter overwhelming force and map knowledge with good communication and organization.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The new French tank is actually pretty decent, problem is majority of the time pubbies joyride it into the middle of the action like some sort of main battle tank from the earlier games and it easily gets hosed up due to it's length and really terrible line of sight and the weird baby treads it has.

It is a great self propelled gun and infantry support thing. One of the variants that has a search light that auto spots now!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Lazyfire posted:

Finally, Teamwork proves to be OP. I was thinking the other day that Battlefield games are often fights against your teammates as much as they are against the other team. If you have a bunch of snipers on a hill somewhere or a bunch of medics not doing any healing you end up with an ineffective group that will have trouble competing with a team with even slightly better class balance/usage. This match goes to show how powerful a coordinated group can really be in that regard. We knew tanks were coming, so we equipped a bunch of anti-armor weaponry, called out tank locations and even occasionally spawned in with the little-seen repair tools to help our own armor. Because of that it took a near Herculean effort for the other team to make progress, even with a super heavy tank wandering the battlefield.

I don't want to hold this up as exactly what happens with balanced or focused teams, though. We've had plenty of really good setups in the Operations we've done. On Iron Walls we were more or less perfectly balanced to take on the average enemy team, but we got steamrolled because the other team was simply that good and hit us with so little caution that we often didn't have time to regroup after retreating. Sometimes you simply can't counter overwhelming force and map knowledge with good communication and organization.

I think I heard the narrator in the intro say "panzer". Was that a term that they used in that war? I always associate it with WWII.

DreamScythe
Jul 25, 2007
*Kinda wishes I was playing in one of these matches
*Looks at kill feed, sees he WAS playing in this match (on the French side)
*Is embarrassed by performance
Frogpion in game, from what I remember, your guys air were crushing us. One of the big issues is see a lot in this game, and especially as shown with the tanks in that game, is there are a lot of players who simply don't move up. I've seen entire squads that are staring at rocks halfway up the battlefield, or who are prone hiding from the mean ol' bullets when they are still at full health. It just annoys the crap out of me to see so much cowardice in an online shooter. Also, getting pubs to do ANYTHING related to being a medic (Revs or heals) is like pulling goddamn teeth from them. Even if they are medic, and have the required tools, they will be completely oblivious to anybody macroing for medical assistance in front of their face, and then walk up and get shot by the worst sniper in the world. How do these people even play?

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think I heard the narrator in the intro say "panzer". Was that a term that they used in that war? I always associate it with WWII.

Panzer just means armor.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I make the assumptions this is the first gateway Battlefield game for an entire generation who've come in from other FPS games and are very easily overwhelmed and play super cautious/campy.

Game has been out a few months now, not so sure now....

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Panzerkampfwagen

Armoured struggle buggy.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
Since operations are completely dead for Australians (tried french ops for three weeks, not a single match) I can only play them vicariously. A truly shameful attacking team, they were treating soissons as a elephant graveyard for tanks.

Ragdolls in BF1 are the best in the series so far, they have a habit of humping the nearest object or hanging themselves by the arm. Then sometimes the death sound that plays when a ragdoll travels the battlefield creates the best kind of dice ineptitude:

https://my.mixtape.moe/eygbal.webm

SeanBeansShako posted:

I make the assumptions this is the first gateway Battlefield game for an entire generation who've come in from other FPS games and are very easily overwhelmed and play super cautious/campy.

Most players are bad regardless of shooter and only move up when the hard work has been done for them.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Man that must be a boring way to play a game, and a strange thing to dump lots of money on.

We got any Operations going this weekend now?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

SeanBeansShako posted:

Man that must be a boring way to play a game, and a strange thing to dump lots of money on.

We got any Operations going this weekend now?

I'll be around Saturday if I don't die from alcohol poisoning tonight. All you can drink events are dangerous.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

SeanBeansShako posted:

Pubbies being cowardly scum who can't do a coordinated push or basic teamwork to save their digital lives is a universal constant across every shooter I've ever played.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

paragon1 posted:

Pubbies being cowardly scum who can't do a coordinated push or basic teamwork to save their digital lives is a universal constant across every shooter I've ever played.

i'll never understand why they dont have a microphone. a usb microphone is like, 5 dollars.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Consider half the bollocks you see in all chat nowadays, that might be a good thing even if team work suffers a little for it.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

SeanBeansShako posted:

Consider half the bollocks you see in all chat nowadays, that might be a good thing even if team work suffers a little for it.

Yeah, if I wanted to hear some random jackass chant "build the wall" in my ear while I play games I would be one of the guys playing Tetris at work.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I dunno- I think having your voice be audible to people would help cut down on that sort of bullshit for everyone but the most shameless, what with GIFT being a thing and all.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

In honor of Anzac Day, have a comic about it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

i'll never understand why they dont have a microphone. a usb microphone is like, 5 dollars.
My only frame of reference for online shooters is TF2 a dead gay hat simulator, but the first advice about voice chat is "turn it off, and use a private voice chat program if playing with friends". It's good advice.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Xander77 posted:

My only frame of reference for online shooters is TF2 a dead gay hat simulator, but the first advice about voice chat is "turn it off, and use a private voice chat program if playing with friends". It's good advice.

And "under no circumstances speak if you are a woman", unless you find something hilarious about being asked to make sandwiches nonstop

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Ainsley McTree posted:

And "under no circumstances speak if you are a woman", unless you find something hilarious about being asked to make sandwiches nonstop

Of all the things that people do that piss me off in online games wrt in game chat it has to be the almost immediate "better be edgy" reaction some people have to hearing women speak online. A while back I was playing CS:GO and one player completely flipped out for the rest of the game simply because he realized one of the other players was female and not a 12 year old boy. Any time she dared speak he would start screaming at the top of his lungs to drown her out. I just have no idea where these people come from.

Anyway, no updates this week. A lot of behind the scenes stuff has fallen apart during the course of this LP which means less content than expected and a slower roll out of things because I keep forgetting to ask someone to be on the last video for single player. Blame Mass Effect for my lethargy, I keep getting sucked into it for hours at a time. The next thing I'm getting ready to do will go much, much faster than this, thankfully.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So short update: Operations is more or less dead and so I don't think we'll see the last two. I have a few multiplayer videos from this weekend that will fill the gap a bit. For some reason the audio is broke so I will probably not have anything today. Last single player video will probably be up next week and that will end the thread unless Operations suddenly appeals to people again.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'm always down for Operations, which is a sad shame they seem to be dying.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I was able to fix my audio issue, so I thankfully didn't lose nearly two hours of recording!

Suez is a bad map. It's so bad that it was changed in the first patch to add an extra flag and it remains so bad that DICE is currently testing another set of balance changes to try and make it not a cluster gently caress. Most BF maps are large squares or rectangles of near-square proportions that are mostly open with natural features like hills and ridges along with structures like houses and bridges to provide things like height advantages, visual cover, choke points and flanking routes (among other things). Suez, by comparison, is far more narrow than most maps and instead of the edges of the map providing a degree of cover like on some other maps one side has you exposed to anyone on a hill or in a building for the length of the map and the other provides infrequent sand dunes to break up lines of sight in the best situations. If you have the behemoth on the map you may as well not try the first one no matter what team you are on as the team getting behemothed will be looking in that direction and the team with the behemoth will have a thing that can kill infantry with impunity.

The area around C tends to be the place I have the most issues with. The flag capture area is irregularly shaped so that the building off to the side of the point (nearer the tracks) is in the zone, but if you stand on the flag and walk like 20 feet in the other direction you are out of the area. By mid match the A-B team will have an advantage in taking or holding that flag due to the shape of the sand dune and the ease at which you can knock over a building in this game and strip the other team of any chance at cover. You can lose this map or that point if you are the A-B team to be sure, but it takes something of an effort.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

WIR LIEBEN KUM!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

SeanBeansShako posted:

What I'm talking about doesn't even require a microphone, just going towards the same area as your team and fulfilling the nicely built in for you squad role or whatever.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

paragon1 posted:

What I'm talking about doesn't even require a microphone, just going towards the same area as your team and fulfilling the nicely built in for you squad role or whatever.

In a perfect world that would work, but every young pubbie these days thinks if he's a crack shot with his sniper rifle and is eager to show it to Youtube!

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Suez is going to stay bad no matter how many times dice try to tweak it. The same goes for giant's shadow and fao fortress. All these maps share a fundamental misunderstanding what actually constitutes cover and blocks sight. If the only cover is around flags then once a team is pushed off a point they get murdered in the open by tanks and planes. The only way you backcap or flank around is if the enemy team is blind enough to let it happen.

The only positive thing I can say about sewers is that you can dig a hole (use limpets or mines) inside C next to the road as the Ottermen and cap the point from there.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Ballroom Blitz is one of those maps that I want to love but has a series of design flaws that make it more difficult than it should be. The mid point, C, directs all traffic in that direction and the immediate area. Flanking around C to get to B/A or D/E depending on your starting side is often limited by the guys on the gates adjacent to the C point. Sometimes you'll catch a weird moment of camaraderie as snipers from both teams just hang out next to each other firing rounds at their enemies. This centrally located ideal sniper location (seriously look at it, you have elevation and near chest height cover, you are set for life) means a lot of spawning on party members who are close to a capture point that you are either constantly defending or attacking depending on if you have it or not. The weird thing is that the map isn't Suez where you are stuck in a relatively narrow corridor, the area around the chateau on either side is accessible. If you want to you can walk out around the back of the place or give the main courtyard a wide berth. Because of the snipers the latter is best done in a vehicle, and if you look that area is filled with ramps and large cover features that are ideal for tank maneuvering while the chateau proper is sort of a deathpit for a vehicle. Narrow passages that are highly populated and rarely have other vehicles to fight may sound like an ideal spot for an anti-infantry tank to clean up, but the lack of space and the height difference on the back side of C leaves you open to assaults with grenades and rocket guns or supports with limpets.

This means Blitz becomes something of a game of lanes. Vehicles on the outside, infantry on the inside, planes trying to provide what support they can. Someone will always try to break this orthodoxy by riding a horse to an undefended point or getting a tank over near C, and sometimes the gamble pays off and you can start a backcap or turn the tide of a fight, but it is often a high risk/high reward sort of thing that scares off a lot of players who cry about K/D and worry that their favorite toy is broke because they can no longer farm easy kills with it.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Nothing like having someone whine about nerfs to kill the chat.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

SeanBeansShako posted:

In a perfect world that would work, but every young pubbie these days thinks if he's a crack shot with his sniper rifle and is eager to show it to Youtube!

Yes I know, that is the spirit of what I originally posted. Pubbies suck and cannot be relied on for the simplest of tasks.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

IronSaber posted:

Nothing like having someone whine about nerfs to kill the chat.

I always worry I'm going to come off as sort of mean in these sorts of videos because I usually end up telling someone to stop bitching about game mechanics. I'm so used to telling people to suck it up at work about programs and processes that it's second nature at this point. I'm not going to suggest I'm above complaining about the game, teammates, balance or any other topic on hand; it's just that continuing on and on about it tones down everyone's enjoyment.

paragon1 posted:

Yes I know, that is the spirit of what I originally posted. Pubbies suck and cannot be relied on for the simplest of tasks.

Next video proves this point because there's a completely useless fortress with really good sniping spots in it and pubbies flock to it instead of taking the more important, non-sniper friendly points. You can almost promise the team that sends more people to take the fort first thing will lose, yet most players seemingly have not figured this one out and manage to complain in the chat that no one else is pulling their weight as they go 1-20 trying to snipe from an arrow loop.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Lazyfire posted:

I always worry I'm going to come off as sort of mean in these sorts of videos because I usually end up telling someone to stop bitching about game mechanics. I'm so used to telling people to suck it up at work about programs and processes that it's second nature at this point. I'm not going to suggest I'm above complaining about the game, teammates, balance or any other topic on hand; it's just that continuing on and on about it tones down everyone's enjoyment.

Next video proves this point because there's a completely useless fortress with really good sniping spots in it and pubbies flock to it instead of taking the more important, non-sniper friendly points. You can almost promise the team that sends more people to take the fort first thing will lose, yet most players seemingly have not figured this one out and manage to complain in the chat that no one else is pulling their weight as they go 1-20 trying to snipe from an arrow loop.

The Fao Fort rear end in a top hat hypothesis needs more supportive evidence.

People need to channel that frustration into playing better in-game. You know if there is something in game to abuse, someone in any given match is going to exploit that and if they're on the other team, you have to carry your team a little harder.

Complaining about AAs being too strong however sounds like someone flies low but thinks they're untouchable i.e an infantry farming pilot. I don't play NA so I can't call people out by name but I'm guessing they never thought to sneak around and limpet charge or pickaxe down the AAs on the enemy side of the map.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I always find it dumb that always seem to just lump AA into one unit and over or under balance it to the end of the time. Why not bring in the stand mounts that turned machine guns into AA, make them more common and fragile as gently caress and make the current AA guns the slow and heavy hitters than can be knocked out and need a lengthly focused repair?

All they really need is to model a generic stand, the rest of the work is the player shooting 'up'.

So what will happen with the LP then? will this be a slow burn one which you'll open up every now and then as there is plenty of DLC down the line? If you want, I'll be happy to gift you Verdun in the coming STEAM sale if you want to do a psuedo spin off thing to keep the thread alive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

SeanBeansShako posted:

I always find it dumb that always seem to just lump AA into one unit and over or under balance it to the end of the time. Why not bring in the stand mounts that turned machine guns into AA, make them more common and fragile as gently caress and make the current AA guns the slow and heavy hitters than can be knocked out and need a lengthly focused repair?

All they really need is to model a generic stand, the rest of the work is the player shooting 'up'.

So what will happen with the LP then? will this be a slow burn one which you'll open up every now and then as there is plenty of DLC down the line? If you want, I'll be happy to gift you Verdun in the coming STEAM sale if you want to do a psuedo spin off thing to keep the thread alive?

The LP is probably finishing this week, actually. I meant to be done weeks ago, but the lack of operations games (I mean no one online is even playing ops half the time) and my own laziness about the last episode of single player have more or less caused the current situation. If I don't have guests worked out in advance I tend to procrastinate like what we're seeing here and it is why most of what I've done has been solo.

Interesting you mention the compare and contrast thing as it is a big part of what I want to do next, but that won't be for like another month.

• Locked thread