Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Kafka on the shore? More like Kafka what a bore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
I enjoyed what I read by him. Sorry, op.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I haven't actually read any of his books.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Kafka on the Shore is a good book because it's a purpose built halfway house to get people who still read fantasy and science fiction books to stop doing that and maybe read something of actual worth.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

He's better when he has an editor. Hard-Boiled Wonderland is a great book, but some of his stuff can be really meandering.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i only read the bible and bazooka joe comics

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Sheep-Goats posted:

Kafka on the Shore is a good book because it's a purpose built halfway house to get people who still read fantasy and science fiction books to stop doing that and maybe read something of actual worth.

Nothing has any worth

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

more like After Fark

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

1 Quit 8n pg 4

Wooded Zacynthus
Mar 15, 2015

I had major problems with the unresolved plot threads in The Wind Up Bird Chronicle, but later learned that they were largely the result of a terrible editing job by the US publisher. I haven't read anything else by him and don't intend to. :agreed: with the OP.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
The other Murakami is better. What'sisname? Ryu? Also Kobo Abe. But ultimately

Whorelord posted:

Nothing has any worth

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I mean you could subjectively not like it and poo poo, but I'm not quite sure how you could say it's not literature? Like you could argue Kafka on the Shore isn't a classic novel or something, but his poo poo is literature.

Also being a goon OP, what the gently caress have you actually read that's better? I'm guessing you just blew through Ulysses in an afternoon right?

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

I read the one about running, it was ok

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Monday_ posted:

I :lol:ed

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

more like IQ80-BORE

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

more like A Wild Sheep Chase, Because This Book Is Tiring

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

more like A Wind Up Bore Chronicle

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jailbait Mailman posted:

I had major problems with the unresolved plot threads in The Wind Up Bird Chronicle, but later learned that they were largely the result of a terrible editing job by the US publisher.
Woah, what? Seriously?

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I just finished re-re-reading William Herrick's Hermanos to celebrate the election.

What have you goon people read lately??

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Monday_ posted:

i actually really enjoyed kafka on the shore. ive been trying to read hardboiled wonderland and the end of the world for months now and jeeze that book aint exactly riveting

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I mean you could subjectively not like it and poo poo, but I'm not quite sure how you could say it's not literature? Like you could argue Kafka on the Shore isn't a classic novel or something, but his poo poo is literature.

Also being a goon OP, what the gently caress have you actually read that's better? I'm guessing you just blew through Ulysses in an afternoon right?

prepare for your incoming thomas pynchon circlejerk

Murakami's okay but all of his characters are just walking mouthpieces for whatever point he wants to make. Like yes let's sit down and eat spaghetti and talk about the human condition, willowy Japanese woman. I'll read his new book when it comes out though.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Many people on Reddit enjoy Murakami, that's proof enough for me that he's poo poo

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

My Man Shran posted:

I just finished re-re-reading William Herrick's Hermanos to celebrate the election.

What have you goon people read lately??

Memes, mostly. And some bits of the various meltdown threads.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Murray Mantoinette posted:

The other Murakami is better. What'sisname? Ryu? Also Kobo Abe. But ultimately

Popular Hits of the Showa Era was trippy.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Lets drink coffee and beer and plow broads until something whimsically magic happens

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

"In a suburban Japanese flat an out-of-work loser, Toru Okada (James Yaegashi), is folding laundry while he contemplates the disappearance of first his cat and then his wife, who hasn't been home for days."

the r/relationships thread has shown me why this might be an appealing read for redditors

Wooded Zacynthus
Mar 15, 2015

FactsAreUseless posted:

Woah, what? Seriously?

It's been a few years, but as I recall when reading it I was put off because the main character plans a trip to a Greek island with one of the two psychic sisters, Creta/Malta Kano. There is much buildup to the trip but it never occurs in the book. I thought it was strange, and after finishing I looked it up and sure enough: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wind-Up_Bird_Chronicle#Missing_chapters_and_parts

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
is haruki a guy name or a girl name

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

i think its like klurfs they dont really differentiate over there

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos

Sheep-Goats posted:

Kurt Vonnegut did this several times and if I hadn't read him as a teen I'd be an even bigger fartlord

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

They don't let women publish books in Japan.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

Kurt Vonnegut did this several times and if I hadn't read him as a teen I'd be an even bigger fartlord

Right but Kurt would be a better converter if he had a Japanese name

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

The only good book Vonnegut wrote was Slaughterhouse-Five and I'm immediately suspicious of anyone who lists him prominently among their favorite authors

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Jailbait Mailman posted:

I had major problems with the unresolved plot threads in The Wind Up Bird Chronicle, but later learned that they were largely the result of a terrible editing job by the US publisher. I haven't read anything else by him and don't intend to. :agreed: with the OP.

his worst book easily though i liked the mongolia scene

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Haruki: I have a copy of Wind/Pinball sitting around here that I really need to read, since I read Pinball 1983 in college and it owned

Ryu: In The Miso Soup was pretty great but Popular Hits of the Showa Era was a little too heartless for me; maybe I just tried it at the wrong time

well those are my thoughts on the murakamis
cya

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Terrific Accident posted:

The only good book Vonnegut wrote was Slaughterhouse-Five and I'm immediately suspicious of anyone who lists him prominently among their favorite authors

"heh i totally read mother night and uhh i didnt like it!" - this guy, pretending he read all of vonneguts books

edit: real talk tho i read all of vonneguts books as an insufferable highschooler and even his misfires are fascinating and better than the majority of authors work. can't see anyone else writing something like slapstick or deadeye dick. breakfast of champions is my favorite of his work although its probably not objectively the best

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

You got me, but I absolutely hated Hocus Pocus, couldn't finish Cat's Cradle, and read about 30 pages of Breakfast of Champions before I rubbed my eyes, put the book down, and never touched it again.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

He's better when he has an editor. Hard-Boiled Wonderland is a great book, but some of his stuff can be really meandering.

That is definitely my favourite of his books. But with he and most other Japanese writers I often feel like I'm missing some of what makes their writing good by virtue of the translation, in a way I don't for translations of other languages.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Terrific Accident posted:

You got me, but I absolutely hated Hocus Pocus, couldn't finish Cat's Cradle, and read about 30 pages of Breakfast of Champions before I rubbed my eyes, put the book down, and never touched it again.

Late era vonnegut is definitely weaker and I can see why you would not like them if you don't like his style. Also I think Cat's cradle is criminally overrated and one of his weaker books. Can't abide by the BoC hate though :colbert:

If you're interested in reading more from him/understanding why people like him, check out Player Piano and Mother Night. They're both a lot less fantastical/absurd than most of his work (despite the former being a dystopia) and would make a good entry point with one being his first and the other arguably his best novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
reading books in 2k17 :lol:

• Locked thread