Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Gail Wynand posted:

Guys I believe that we must secure the existence of our people and a future for White children

Let's debate and discuss

everyone that disagrees with me is a nazi white supremacist. hmmm this position will surely encourage me to debate and discuss thigns with people in a levelheaded manner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Delete D&D.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Tolkien minority posted:

everyone that disagrees with me is a nazi white supremacist. hmmm this position will surely encourage me to debate and discuss thigns with people in a levelheaded manner

same

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015
You are all seriously proving my point here and it's hilarious. Different opinion = automatic racist.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

TTerrible posted:

Yes, this is totally about making sure D&D continues as a branch of Stormfront and nothing to do with getting rid of the bias that resulted in the Hilary/Trump Toxx disaster.

News flash: a place can be unwelcoming and sometimes downright hostile to minorities without also being stormfront. Crazy, I know.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Grapplejack posted:

Have you considered that this has nothing to do with you and is about d&d modding in general?

Yes the admin thread about D&D modding that was posting publicly instead of in the mod forum for some reason definitely isn't about the new mod that people in QCS are whining about. Especially not when it's directly addressing the stuff those posters are whining about.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

*totally isnt racist*
*knows what the word octoroon means off the top of my head*

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

LadyAmbien posted:

You are all seriously proving my point here and it's hilarious. Different opinion = automatic racist.

Three examples from Leper's Colony, please.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Doctor Butts posted:

What are examples of her labeling dissent as racism?

uhhhh?

Koalas March posted:

Lmao, I only probated people (4 people, for 6 hours!) who got reported. If I was really banning people who I thought were shitheads or had terrible opinions like 90% of yall would be gone.

I'm glad I've got the racists shook though. Seethe.

it's not a hard concept. Someone goes "Hey a moderator of debate is actually just backing themselves up in arguments and hasn't set themselves apart from the debate at all"

"I'M GLAD THE RACISTS ARE SHOOK YA'LL"

There is a leap there that is pretty obvious

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

As someone who would have posted this exact thing, say, two years ago, I think D&D is in a pretty good place at the moment, or at least the portions I read are. That doesn't mean there is no one who posts in bad faith or posts personal attacks, but....it's much improved I think, to the point where I don't think this specific announcement was necessary.

I too think this announcement causes way more problems than it fixes.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
This thread makes a compelling argument for why D&D mods shouldn't punish based on their personal politics/opinions, because most D&D opinions are hysterical and bad

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Chelb posted:

Expecting impartiality is stupid. Unless you turn moderators into robots, that's not going to be possible. And tacitly accepting any slurs or evidences of discrimination short of the vilest is a good way to make D&D more unreadable than it is.

You're adorable.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

LadyAmbien posted:

im just making fun of those people please dont lump everyone together i hate d&D lol

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015

The ideology eater posted:

Yes the admin thread about D&D modding that was posting publicly instead of in the mod forum for some reason definitely isn't about the new mod that people in QCS are whining about. Especially not when it's directly addressing the stuff those posters are whining about.

The reason being that users need to see that there is going to be change taking place. It is an absolutely ridiculous leap to racism, but that's your opinion and you have a right to it.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

TTerrible posted:

Yes, this is totally about making sure D&D continues as a branch of Stormfront and nothing to do with getting rid of the bias that resulted in the Hilary/Trump Toxx disaster.

I am happy to have been a part of that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm glad there's so much spirited discussion happening around questions of free speech and impartiality, but we just had to hide a thread because Kiwifarms members were using it to doxx and collect personal information on a bunch of our posters. I consider that a way bigger problem than the ongoing debate about D&D moderation. So if this is where we're having modding discussions now, I'm concerned about the fact that you and Lowtax have so wholeheartedly endorsed the site. I think encouraging people on SA to act more like a website that runs a wiki in which they have detailed every single moment of a person's life, down to the shirts he wears, and has entire forums dedicated to doxxing and harassing minorities online is a huge issue. A much bigger one than questions of mod bias, use of slurs on the site, how to handle political discussions in GBS, etc. We need to make it very, very clear that doxxing people, trying to dig up their information, or harassing them off SA isn't okay at all, and people who want to do that aren't welcome here.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

LadyAmbien posted:

If your different opinion is "anything other than calling people fags or the n-word should slide", then yeah, I don't have a lot of respect for your beliefs

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
What i'm saying is, if this announcement wasn't necessary, you wouldn't have people accusing the OP of being racist 4 posts into the thread.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

fyi I've literally been getting emails from throw away accounts with slurs and stuff but yeah, I guess I'm just projecting when I say racists are seething

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

It's pretty simple, /pol/ and /r/the_donald already exist, their members aggressively try to turn every platform they can into an alt right cesspool, and they usually succeed absent aggressive moderation

See: Reddit and Twitter

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Koalas March posted:

fyi I've literally been getting emails from throw away accounts with slurs and stuff but yeah, I guess I'm just projecting when I say racists are seething

im sorry do you need a hug (>^-^)>

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

LadyAmbien posted:

How is this:

quote:

This is a place where people pay to post, and have a right to express their personal opinions as long as they are not personally attacking anyone else. Which does NOT include blanket statements regarding groups, unless it is especially extreme.

not saying that racism, sexism, homophobia, etc need to be tolerated unless they're particularly extreme?

What do you mean by that statement if I am misinterpreting it?

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm glad there's so much spirited discussion happening around questions of free speech and impartiality, but we just had to hide a thread because Kiwifarms members were using it to doxx and collect personal information on a bunch of our posters. I consider that a way bigger problem than the ongoing debate about D&D moderation. So if this is where we're having modding discussions now, I'm concerned about the fact that you and Lowtax have so wholeheartedly endorsed the site. I think encouraging people on SA to act more like a website that runs a wiki in which they have detailed every single moment of a person's life, down to the shirts he wears, and has entire forums dedicated to doxxing and harassing minorities online is a huge issue. A much bigger one than questions of mod bias, use of slurs on the site, how to handle political discussions in GBS, etc. We need to make it very, very clear that doxxing people, trying to dig up their information, or harassing them off SA isn't okay at all, and people who want to do that aren't welcome here.

the thing is those kiwifarms posters are funny whereas the people whining about them are not so being the head of an internet comedy forum its pretty clear lowtax should side with the funny

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is a good post.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Chelb posted:

If your different opinion is "anything other than calling people fags or the n-word should slide", then yeah, I don't have a lot of respect for your beliefs

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I have an idea

rename this place The Safe Space

make another subforum called Racist Debate and Discussion

everybody is happy

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Gail Wynand posted:

It's pretty simple, /pol/ and /r/the_donald already exist, their members aggressively try to turn every platform they can into an alt right cesspool, and they usually succeed absent aggressive moderation

See: Reddit and Twitter

noted altright cesspools, twitter and reddit

lollllllllll

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Hey LadyAmbien, did you mean to post this in the mod forum? Because otherwise we can't really discuss whether or not the wording in this announcement allows for racism, sexism, homophobia, or other things we may not want to condone before letting users know about changes you want to make.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

There's a D&D clique dedicated to finding Bad Posters to add to a spreadsheet with a misleading description of the poster so as to signal that it's ok to post bad faith arguments/insult them in threads

idk if this has anything to do with Kiwifarms (maybe they got ahold of it?) drama or whatever, I just find that fact insanely funny

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Tolkien minority posted:

the thing is those kiwifarms posters are funny whereas the people whining about them are not so being the head of an internet comedy forum its pretty clear lowtax should side with the funny

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015

FactsAreUseless posted:

I agree that doxxing people is wrong, should not be done and is not welcome here. Thank you for hiding the thread.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

if we're just naming the largest websites and calling them altright cesspools i also nominate google and amazon. have u seen the hosed up nazi stuff u can find on there!?!?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
New Policy: Post in D&D, that's a ban!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tolkien minority posted:

Who gives a poo poo? What's funny about collecting photos and personal information about our users to fuel your weird hate of LGBT people? If that's this website's new direction then count me the gently caress out. I've been totally willing to support encouraging more flexibility on slurs. Hell, I've always been pretty flexible on that myself. Get D&D a conservative mod. Let's make it more free, let's allow for more debate from all sides. Let's change a situation in which D&D is liberal and GBS is conservative, that's all fine. But I draw the line at encouraging people to act more like the insane doxxing website full of complete loving nutjobs who have made it their job to obsess about the personal lives of other people.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tolkien minority posted:

noted altright cesspools, twitter and reddit

lollllllllll

Are you blind or something?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

Who gives a poo poo? What's funny about collecting photos and personal information about our users to fuel your weird hate of LGBT people? If that's this website's new direction then count me the gently caress out. I've been totally willing to support encouraging more flexibility on slurs. Hell, I've always been pretty flexible on that myself. Get D&D a conservative mod. Let's make it more free, let's allow for more debate from all sides. Let's change a situation in which D&D is liberal and GBS is conservative, that's all fine. But I draw the line at encouraging people to act more like the insane doxxing website full of complete loving nutjobs who have made it their job to obsess about the personal lives of other people.

Well, I never!

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Cool, here's a good thread for SA to have a discussion about, on our neat debate subforum: Do posters on D&D stifle dialogue by shutting down or attacking unwanted opinions?

Koalas March posted:

I'm glad I've got the racists shook though. Seethe.

Ah, gotcha

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've been totally willing to support encouraging more flexibility on slurs.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

FactsAreUseless posted:

personally I was just making fun of shmorky because he poops and pees n diapers and also hits on children i think gay people are pretty cool

• Locked thread