Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

LadyAmbien posted:

Mods, if you are banning and probating people that have a different opinion/stance/political agenda/view than yours, when does the debate begin to happen?

Debate and Discussion does not work in an environment where everyone has the same opinions. It does not exist to be a special space for you to all circle jerk each other off and feel superior to anyone who thinks differently EVEN IF that opinion is offensive. Abusive? Sure - ban the hell out of them.

Things need to change around here. This is not LIBERAL DEBATE & DISCUSSION. This is a place where people pay to post, and have a right to express their personal opinions as long as they are not personally attacking anyone else. Which does NOT include blanket statements regarding groups, unless it is especially extreme.

A good example of things needing to change is the hypocritical bullshit that took place after the election when it was arbitrarily decided that those who volunteered to be banned if Hilary won, were not. The fact that we all know that had the result been reversed, every one of those bans would have been enforced is embarrassing.

Do your jobs impartially or resign.

FEEL FREE TO DEBATE AND DISCUSS THIS POST.

Did you read that exmarx?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LadyAmbien posted:

I agree that doxxing people is wrong, should not be done and is not welcome here. Thank you for hiding the thread.
Great, then post that in big bold letters in GBS, because we're already seeing this stuff happen. Please. People care a lot about what you and Lowtax say about the forums, including me. So anything you say that can open the door to this kind of behavior is an issue. I don't care if the politics forums become more conservative, but we've already had to deal with doxxing and a public and not-backed-up pedophilia accusation today. We can't stop people from offsite from coming here and finding info people post, and I get that, but we can draw a clear line and say "this is what's not acceptable."

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Tolkien minority posted:

the thing is those kiwifarms posters are funny whereas the people whining about them are not so being the head of an internet comedy forum its pretty clear lowtax should side with the funny

lowtax posted that the photoshop was funny, not the doxxing and other completely insane bullshit

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Who gives a poo poo? What's funny about collecting photos and personal information about our users to fuel your weird hate of LGBT people? If that's this website's new direction then count me the gently caress out. I've been totally willing to support encouraging more flexibility on slurs. Hell, I've always been pretty flexible on that myself. Get D&D a conservative mod. Let's make it more free, let's allow for more debate from all sides. Let's change a situation in which D&D is liberal and GBS is conservative, that's all fine. But I draw the line at encouraging people to act more like the insane doxxing website full of complete loving nutjobs who have made it their job to obsess about the personal lives of other people.

now see, i wouldn't call this post very good at all

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
lol that GBS is conservative

GSB is full of people you pushed out of D&D- the no fun zone on a comedy forum. Pretending that there's some black and white to all this is exactly part of why this forum is an echo chamber

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Who gives a poo poo? What's funny about collecting photos and personal information about our users to fuel your weird hate of LGBT people? If that's this website's new direction then count me the gently caress out. I've been totally willing to support encouraging more flexibility on slurs. Hell, I've always been pretty flexible on that myself. Get D&D a conservative mod. Let's make it more free, let's allow for more debate from all sides. Let's change a situation in which D&D is liberal and GBS is conservative, that's all fine. But I draw the line at encouraging people to act more like the insane doxxing website full of complete loving nutjobs who have made it their job to obsess about the personal lives of other people.

i dont hate lgbt people and its kinda telling that you're implying i do because i think kiwifarms threads are funny. theres a large difference between lgbt people and people like shmorky.

the problem isnt that gbs is conservative (its not really besides a few posters) or that d&d is liberal (it's not really its some weird brand of only those who are sucking the hilldawgs dick) lol

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Tolkien minority posted:

if we're just naming the largest websites and calling them altright cesspools i also nominate google and amazon. have u seen the hosed up nazi stuff u can find on there!?!?

if you type alt-right or nazi into google it will actually TELL YOU about that stuff, what the gently caress

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Fat Shat Sings posted:

uhhhh?

it's not a hard concept. Someone goes "Hey a moderator of debate is actually just backing themselves up in arguments and hasn't set themselves apart from the debate at all"

"I'M GLAD THE RACISTS ARE SHOOK YA'LL"

There is a leap there that is pretty obvious

You stated that she is labeling dissent as racism.

As a response, you posted a quote that did nothing to show that she has been labeling dissent as racism.

Then, you change your point from 'moderator labels dissent as racism' to 'a moderator should be apart from the debate'.

Do you expect every Moderator to be completely separated from all topics they are moderating? Even then, do you believe impartiality is guaranteed in that case?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've not seen Lowtax or LA condone the doxxing/harassment facets of KiwiFarms, just the artwork and photoshop stuff along with being more sensitive to context with slurs rather than ctrl+f.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

theres a pretty big difference between "yelling friend of the family" and "said a word that made the IK think that they're a secret racist/sexist and must be banned"

I mean, when it gets to the point that an entire thread gets derailed and gassed because someone used the word hysterical at a poster that they dont know is a man or woman then it's kind of reaching a breaking point.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Oil of Paris posted:

lowtax posted that the photoshop was funny, not the doxxing and other completely insane bullshit

ive only been reading the shmorky thread on kiwi farms so maybe i missed something

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
This forum needs a lawyer to mod it. Good luck getting that for free.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Tolkien minority posted:

i dont hate lgbt people and its kinda telling that you're implying i do because i think kiwifarms threads are funny. theres a large difference between lgbt people and people like shmorky.

the problem isnt that gbs is conservative (its not really besides a few posters) or that d&d is liberal (it's not really its some weird brand of only those who are sucking the hilldawgs dick) lol

There's a big difference between transgender people and the TMT thread, just like how there's a big difference between people on low-carb diets and the low-carb thread

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

Great, then post that in big bold letters in GBS, because we're already seeing this stuff happen. Please. People care a lot about what you and Lowtax say about the forums, including me. So anything you say that can open the door to this kind of behavior is an issue. I don't care if the politics forums become more conservative, but we've already had to deal with doxxing and a public and not-backed-up pedophilia accusation today. We can't stop people from offsite from coming here and finding info people post, and I get that, but we can draw a clear line and say "this is what's not acceptable."

I absolutely agree doxxing should be completely off limits, and I agree with everything you said in this thread

You're a big-wig admin though and surely you have some ways of talking about this with the people who own this site somewhere other than this thread which in my opinion (and not just mine) brings up a valid point and isn't really about doxxing, which I agree is a serious and horrible issue

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tolkien minority posted:

i dont hate lgbt people and its kinda telling that you're implying i do because i think kiwifarms threads are funny.
This isn't what I'm trying to do. I don't think you - or anyone who posts on this site, actually - hates lgbt people or is trying to harass them. I'm just very annoyed that this other website has started trying to harass our users. If I'm conflating different issues, fine, fair, it just has me on edge.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Neurolimal posted:

theres a pretty big difference between "yelling friend of the family" and "said a word that made the IK think that they're a secret racist/sexist and must be banned"

I mean, when it gets to the point that an entire thread gets derailed and gassed because someone used the word hysterical at a poster that they dont know is a man or woman then it's kind of reaching a breaking point.

maybe we could just ban the use of slurs with a "is part of an extremely funny post" exemption instead of giving shitheads free reign

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

This isn't what I'm trying to do. I don't think you - or anyone who posts on this site, actually - hates lgbt people or is trying to harass them. I'm just very annoyed that this other website has started trying to harass our users. If I'm conflating different issues, fine, fair, it just has me on edge.

It's nice to hear you say that and it's good that you are trying to protect our LGBT members

the problem this thread is addressing is that it's incredibly easy to accuse people at the drop of a hat of indeed hating lgbt people over minor statements and then enjoy dogpiling on them

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Raskolnikov38 posted:

maybe we could just ban the use of slurs with a "is part of an extremely funny post" exemption instead of giving shitheads free reign

i wonder which outcome is more likely in gbs

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Sure, that's how most forums handle it, and what I imagine Ladyambien was alluding to. If someone makes a Good Post that happens to use a word that might be racist/sexist when interpreted in a certain way then it should be given a pass. That way if a poster is acting crazy there's a way to say that the poster is acting crazy without falling into a word trap.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

thats fair, im probably not completely up to date with what drama is going on

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tolkien minority posted:

ive only been reading the shmorky thread on kiwi farms so maybe i missed something

There's now a thread exclusively for mocking SA's troon megathread on Kiwi Farms. All it does is make fun of how they look.

Like they're a bunch of supermodels who spend hours analyzing CWC's videos for evidence of rat poop, and looking bad is apparently a capital offense.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

VendaGoat posted:

This forum needs a lawyer to mod it. Good luck getting that for free.

They tried that before it went poorly.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

90% of SA posters think doxxing is hosed up and kiwifarms is hosed up for doing it. SA has had hard line rules against doxxing, stalking, and harassing for over a decade and anyone who'd rather do that poo poo should get the gently caress out. Goons know this.

You're a real good mod dude, SA has been weird as gently caress lately admittedly.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Slurs have always, always been used at your own risk. If you're not funny you're copping a prob or ban.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
if we could get like, a heads up of some sort before these big decisions are made I think that would be cool and cause a lot less chaos and stress. communication is key, and that's why there's a mod forum I think?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Invisible Handjob posted:

the problem this thread is addressing is that it's incredibly easy to accuse people at the drop of a hat of indeed hating lgbt people over minor statements and then enjoy dogpiling on them
I'm not trying to invalidate the issues people have over D&D, this is just the place that I have to get attention for this tangentially related but much more serious issue.

FluffieDuckie
May 11, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

this is important. we have a user posting unfounded pedophile accusations about another user across forums, including sending pms to that person's familiy and friends, and are asking lowtax to make it clear this isn't ok

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

joeburz posted:

They tried that before it went poorly.

What? Oh please give me a link so that I can laugh for days.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Invisible Handjob posted:

It's nice to hear you say that and it's good that you are trying to protect our LGBT members

It gets worse when you consider that there are people deemed Oppressed Enough that are allowed to hate LGBT people because they are a Good Egg.

It seems like you need a handy organizational chart about the Oppression Hierarchy to post in certain threads.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The problem is shitheads think saying a slur is an extremely funny post and are extremely loud and extremely petty about it.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

TTerrible posted:

Slurs have always, always been used at your own risk. If you're not funny you're copping a prob or ban.

this thread isnt about slurs or w/e its about d&d moderation. the qcs thread was about slurs and poo poo and the conclusion from the tax man himself was "who gives a gently caress if you say retard"

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Make Synthy a dnd mod.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

Sure, that's how most forums handle it, and what I imagine Ladyambien was alluding to. If someone makes a Good Post that happens to use a word that might be racist/sexist when interpreted in a certain way then it should be given a pass. That way if a poster is acting crazy there's a way to say that the poster is acting crazy without falling into a word trap.

Isn't that is what is happening already?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
D&D mods need a heads up to delete all the stuff from their private PM server showing how fair and balanced they are

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

Make Synthy a dnd mod.
I would love for Synthy to mod something but I know he would never ever say yes, so I've never asked.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Tolkien minority posted:

this thread isnt about slurs or w/e its about d&d moderation. the qcs thread was about slurs and poo poo and the conclusion from the tax man himself was "who gives a gently caress if you say retard"

Sorry, it cropped up a few times with things like "racism is ok as long as you don't use the n word" or whatever last page.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm not trying to invalidate the issues people have over D&D, this is just the place that I have to get attention for this tangentially related but much more serious issue.

if this is honestly the only place you have, in a mostly unrelated thread, as the most visible and influential admin on these forums, to talk to the ownership about the fact that an off-sites forum is stalking our membership, doxxing and harassing them irl, then that is very worrying. you need a bat / lowtax signal for that sort of poo poo

I digress though because I think this is an important thread and I don't want to derail it any further

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
There's a whole slew of posters who everyone hates but are still allowed to post here. That includes both leftist and less-leftist posters.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Isn't that is what is happening already?

Maybe over the table, sure. But like I said, there are weirdos who keep other weirdos informed that someone Said A Word so that they can screech them out of certain threads.

It's only in a handful of threads (mainly the ones used as quarantine zones) and I imagine mods let the more tame examples slide because it would be a nightmare trying to hunt them down if they weren't stuck in a few threads, but it is kind of a problem for people not already aware that those threads aren't good places to Debate and Discuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Neurolimal posted:

It seems like you need a handy organizational chart about the Oppression Hierarchy to post in certain threads.

• Locked thread