Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
I guess I'm confused about what prompted this thread. I'm 23 pages in and still haven't seen a single example of supposedly-biased moderation, aside from a couple of 6 hour probations (if you melt down over 6 hour probations you should probably learn to Log Off).

Debate & Discussion threads fit broadly into "Debate" and "Discussion" categories, funnily enough. Each thread has its own culture, which evolves naturally and by consensus of the posters who choose to post about that topic. I don't think it's to anybody's benefit to try and apply the same moderating framework to, say, the Middle East thread, the Marriage Equality thread, the Canadian Politics thread and the "Crazy emails from your family" thread. The current feminism thread was framed explicitly as a place for higher-than-entry-level discussion. Why would anybody waste their time trying to argue the merits of feminism-as-a-concept in that thread? They're allowed to make their own "Feminism 101" or, heck, "Actually men are oppressed" thread and as long as it isn't garbage metacommentary it'll probably stay open. But for some reason they can never be bothered to make the effort.

I'm strongly in favour of D&D's current rules. They're not a list of prescribed words that you aren't allowed to say, they're a set of principles that we as moderators would like posters to bear in mind when they post.

thank's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

new phone who dis posted:

The cops have released a statement vindicating the cops of any wrongdoing. Obviously people just needed to make more threads and hey if you eat a 6er for bad reasons just shut the gently caress up and take it.

You're a goofy little bitch who got radicalised by the presence of women in children's entertainment

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

You're a lovely mod who's cultivated a toxic subforum and your bosses had to call you out in public over it.

You've never hosed

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Fat Shat Sings posted:

how does a site administrator not seem to know about current or past events on the website they administrate?

You are confused why this thread exists despite everything that's taken place over the last week in relation to probably a decade of history involving terrible moderation and subforums like this becoming insular.

I don't want to suggest you are incapable of "getting it" but you did say you read 1,000 posts in this thread and still don't "get it" soooo

What are the Big D&D Events that happened over the last week

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
The D&D SJWs are creating a, uh, homogeneity of opinion by making fun of the 100,000 words i wrote about pathetic video games drama from 2014

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

sudo rm -rf posted:

uh it's actually a reasonable thing to ask of anyone if you're claiming he's ignoring/missing key events

asking you to be specific isn't something you have to snark at

just answer the question lol

He's avoiding my clever trap(???), it's the same reason nobody has given an example of biased modding

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Hillary Is My Woods Mom

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Please don't own me over the time i accidentally tricked people into donating thousands of dollars to a rape charity

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Freakazoid_ posted:

:agreed:

I've been hemming and hawing about asking a mod to step in with my automation thread. I asked for no automated car discussion, but some posters can't help but get caught in that cycle. At the same time, the thread only gets like a dozen posts per day.

The combination of not knowing how a mod will respond to that (up until koala became a mod, they generally don't enforce an OP's thread specific requests), and the kinda low amount of activity, I figured it wasn't worth bothering. Maybe now it is?

You can set out the, I guess, "parameters" you want a thread to cover, but I'd stop short of thread OPs inventing their own rules. If a thread is consistently off topic you can ask people to knock it off or ask a mod to do the same.

With a low-traffic thread I suppose you're risking killing it entirely, but from what you're saying it sounds like that would mean about the same number of on-topic posts anyway :v:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

boner confessor posted:

natetimm is a broken human being who will never let go of a grudge against someone who made fun of their opinions on the internet, turns out

He's tragically never considered changing his opinions

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

boner confessor posted:

it's almost like you're super duper mad about the existence of a club you're not allowed into or something

He feels the same way about women's bodies

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Ad hominems are good, actually

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
It's like, 'oh, of course you think serious debating is just posting links to wiki articles of logical fallacies'

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Have you declared your adherence to the thread pact of unhurt feelings yet?

I'm having a go at the "make fun of insane internet degenerates" thing that GBS likes so much

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
I have here in my hand a list of 205 toxxers who hurt Donald Trump's feewings by donating to a charity

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Just a couple of boys with a humiliation fetish

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
I'm not mad, this is funny to me, and I'm laughing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

sudo rm -rf posted:

i can't parse this post

As far as I can tell, Call Me Charlie perceives fairness through the lens of 'big custom titles'

• Locked thread