Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ive always loved rhythm games, and I usually have around one obsession a year where I will play a rhythm game once a day for months a at a time. Im sure there are other rhythm heads out there and they are kind of an increasingly rare genre on newer consoles. The reason im posting this is because Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Future Tone came out this week and Ive always kind of looked at those games from afar. the new one was a massive bundle of arcade + console releases so I tried it out and Im kind of completely hooked. theres so many genres and songs and customization, its overwhelming atm. its also the first rhythm game I can remember where Ive actually been distractedby wanting to watch the backghround music videos because they are all completely original and completely insane.

other rhythm games on currently consoles I can recall:

PS4
- Amplitude (i played this for a bit and thought it was ok but the soundtrack wasn't super great)
- ROck Band 4 (i was huge into rock band 2 on wii but I dont really have the floor space to accomodate the drums anymore otherwise I would be playing this daily)

3DS
- Final Fantasy Theatrhythm (my last obsession, absolutely massive game with so many amazing songs)
- Rhythm Heaven Megamix (basically every rhythm heaven song ever in one collection. super fun and challenging)

Vita
- has a lot of japanese only rhythm games that will never leave the country because of licensing stuff. I havent tried any myself

PS4 is also getting a parappa and patapon release this year at some point. So what rhythm games have you enjoyed? Id also like to try out more recent ones that Im not aware of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I was playing 3DS the other day and remember how much I loved EBA and was wondering if there was ever anything similar to that released since.

Also, Guitaroo Man is a PS2 classic. One of my favorite rhythm games ever.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bill Barber posted:

I was playing 3DS the other day and remember how much I loved EBA and was wondering if there was ever anything similar to that released since.

Also, Guitaroo Man is a PS2 classic. One of my favorite rhythm games ever.

Theres 3 EBA games and only one was released in NA so you could check out the other two.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock was my jam in middle school. three Megadeth songs in one GH game was extremely win to 14 year old me.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Harmonix made the games that got me into this genre. Frequency, Amplitude, then later on Rock Band etc. I don't play them much anymore but I'll always hold Harmonix in high regard even if the new Amplitude was crappy.

EBA & FF Theatrhythm are must haves for 3D gamers. Shame we won't ever see Dragon Quest Theatrhythm.

Also when I was a kid I traded Jade Cocoon 2 for Gitaroo Man and it was the best choice I've ever made.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't think Ive ever played Gitaroo Man. Ill have to check it out.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Did anyone play HarmoKnight?? That seemed cool but I'm not crazy about runners so I never picked it up

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Harmonix made the games that got me into this genre. Frequency, Amplitude, then later on Rock Band etc. I don't play them much anymore but I'll always hold Harmonix in high regard even if the new Amplitude was crappy.

EBA & FF Theatrhythm are must haves for 3D gamers. Shame we won't ever see Dragon Quest Theatrhythm.

Also when I was a kid I traded Jade Cocoon 2 for Gitaroo Man and it was the best choice I've ever made.

agreed regarding Harmonix, played the poo poo out of Frequency back in the day. It's weird to think that there was a time period where plastic instrument games became so ubiquitous that you'd see people playing them at literally every party near a college campus

And drat, that's a come up.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Anybody else *always* hear the title screen jingle whenever they read Gitaroo Man?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KruX-YidS4U

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The stuff they did to the new guitar hero looks kinda neat, with the live playlists that you just drop in/out of. But again I dont think I can handle another generation of plastic instruments. the one series that could get me to pick up a new peripheral would be a DJ Hero 3 release.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
I thought about checking out the new rock band or whatever but instead I bought a cheap Fender and downloaded Rocksmith. It's kinda cool if you combine it with other more traditional musical exercises

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Did anyone play HarmoKnight?? That seemed cool but I'm not crazy about runners so I never picked it up

theres a demo and i had fun trying to max out my score on the demo levels, but then i got the real games and was completely bored

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

HarmoKnight is not a very good rhythm game.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Um Jammer Lammy and the first Parappa are must plays for any rhythm gamers. Also Rhythm Thief for the 3DS is really fun and has a ton of cool rhythm mini games even though it has a few duds in the mix.

But yeah, Gitaroo Man is incredible and the one time I played 4-player mode was truly a lifetime gaming highlight

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

I don't think Ive ever played Gitaroo Man. Ill have to check it out.

It's one of the sweetest most awesome games ever

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish everyone could play gitaroo man

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I want to get the Theaterhythm games eventually- have they ever gone on sale? eShop sales are so rare...

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I want to get the Theaterhythm games eventually- have they ever gone on sale? eShop sales are so rare...

If you're ok buying carts the sequels been in a buy 1 get 1 deal at best buy a few times. Also you don't need the first game, the second one has almost everything from the first one included

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I got Curtain Call for 7 dollars at GameStop. Though I had to go twice because they gave me the original game on accident. I think someone traded the original in as Curtain Call and got away with it.

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

Thinking about playing the endless setlist with my buddies in rock band 2 and 3 gives me nostalgic gamer feels... we went through so many cheap lovely drum sets

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I keep dropping chains in project diva from laughing at the music video

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Imagine 220+ videos like the first 30 seconds of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-3qguiu2AQ

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i have 2 video game drum kits, at least 5 guitars, a rock band keyboard, a dj hero turntable, a iidx turntable, a few dance pads, over 1000 songs in rock band, both console and vita versions of all the project diva games, and i love to hit buttons when the screen tells me to

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

I keep dropping chains in project diva from laughing at the music video

theres a video in there where miku fights godzilla, and one where she keeps dying and reliving her day

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

i have 2 video game drum kits, at least 5 guitars, a rock band keyboard, a dj hero turntable, a iidx turntable, a few dance pads, over 1000 songs in rock band, both console and vita versions of all the project diva games, and i love to hit buttons when the screen tells me to

Can you tell me how the hold mechanic works in this? It's the one thing the tutorial doesn't really cover. If I hold it too long does it drop the score down to that "max" value it shows? So I need to like hold longer than I think I can but not too long for max points

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

(41 users browsing)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

Can you tell me how the hold mechanic works in this? It's the one thing the tutorial doesn't really cover. If I hold it too long does it drop the score down to that "max" value it shows? So I need to like hold longer than I think I can but not too long for max points

no the max is a bonus for holding it that long, you can let go then because you wont gain more points

also note that like if you are holding triangle, and then a circle hold comes up, when you hold both it becomes a double hold and when you let go of EITHER of them, it breaks the hold for both

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

In Training posted:

Imagine 220+ videos like the first 30 seconds of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-3qguiu2AQ

https://youtu.be/v-3qguiu2AQ?t=83 lmfao

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

no the max is a bonus for holding it that long, you can let go then because you wont gain more points

also note that like if you are holding triangle, and then a circle hold comes up, when you hold both it becomes a double hold and when you let go of EITHER of them, it breaks the hold for both

Oh got it. That hold stuff is the hardest part about this, especially the two and three inputs. Balancing between dpad and face buttons for max holds is tricky

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh also does the Future Sound and Colorful Tone rank do anything.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

Oh also does the Future Sound and Colorful Tone rank do anything.

I don't think so

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Before diving into this I assumed it was wall to wall jpop but they get goofy with the genres. I especially like the one pop punk song I played where Miku is mean mugging the camera and throwing sheet music to the ground because she's so pissed lol

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I guess I should cave and buy a Miku game at some point. I also just remembered a steam game I played a lot of because it was entirely based on your own music library. The game itself was like an asteroids style thing.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Beat Hazard, that was it: http://store.steampowered.com/app/49600/ Not a rhythm game at all but it was a nice add-on to a bundle I got back in the day

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lmao there's one song that's a classic 90s r&b style power ballad with 4 of the loids doing pop and locks in a cathedral

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you can also get that for iPhone and android

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

go play "The MMORPG's Addict's Anthem"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

In Training posted:

The stuff they did to the new guitar hero looks kinda neat, with the live playlists that you just drop in/out of. But again I dont think I can handle another generation of plastic instruments. the one series that could get me to pick up a new peripheral would be a DJ Hero 3 release.

i watched a video of GH Live and it looks like they took all the color away and it made me sad :eng99:

• Locked thread