Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
Need advice please:

LANDLORD/EVICTION/DISPUTE

I live in Phoenix Arizona. We recently hit record heat of over 110 degree for 31 days straight. People are constantly dying on my street, I live directly next to the largest encampment in all of Arizona, in Downtown phoenix, known as "the zone".

I have been battling my gentrified neighbors for the two years that I've lived here in the summer for providing a cold water station. I have proof of my neighbor lying to my landlord and telling him "homeless" people are on the property (there is nobody on the property but those allowed to be here). I have text messages of my landlord telling me to remove said people. I always ask for clarification of "what people" and ask if I'm allowed to have guest, and never receive it.

Recently my landlord got a blight notice. I called the city, it is from a neighbors complaint for storage and trash. I confronted my neighbor and he said his six year old daughter saw someone pouring water over themselves so he complained.
My landlord was on the property today and told us to remove everything before the reinspection. In his last messages to us he provided his lawyers info and asked for mine. I do not have one.

This is what my front looks like:

My financial situation:

I am 70% disabled veteran, currently about to begin my last semester on my Bachelors GI Bill. I'm in appeal for a higher rating but I don't make a lot of money. I have some savings though. I'm desperately trying to find housing I can afford (failing) and another rental before I get a possible eviction.
People are dying outside in the streets, and local news haven't picked up on it but the city is failing to provide adequate water access. I have held people as they have died. There is an ongoing crisis. I refuse to remove my cold water station.

Anyone got a lawyer?

edit: added details:

My lease ends in less than two months. He already told us he wasn't renewing it, and now I think he is ramping up for possible eviction, I'd like to speak to a lawyer and have one ready, or any other recommendations anyone has.

feverish and oversexed fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

ASAPI posted:

I'm not sure how a lawyer will help you. Eviction takes time, likely more than the two months you have left on your lease (I believe the process takes 90 days in my area).

The water station may or may not be governed by local and/or state regs/laws. Again, not sure if a lawyer will be of use for this. By the time things are filed, dates set, etc, you will be moving out as your lease is ending.

that's what I'm figuring, and this may just be a big bluster on his part to scare me. But since he's asking for a lawyer I suppose I better get one just in case? I totally missed saying in my original post, he was on the property today telling us to remove EVERYTHING and its all blight, he's literally never visited the entire two years I've lived here before.

CoffeeQaddaffi posted:

You have to know what days they're open for walk-ins but the VA should have legal aid available, and if you tell them its a housing dispute they should help. I know the VA isn't quick, but they should have resources for just this kind of issue. Sorry I can't be of more help.

I actually contacted the CRRC and they have a legal person I left a message with, thanks for this recommendation I didn't think to straight call the VA and ask if the have a legal clinic here locally as well. Thanks

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
I'm going to want advice on what to do if I'm digging my heels in. I am not removing anything. If you don't have advice to that effort, then I don't want it? (I am looking and have people looking thank you)

specifically looking for a lawyer that wants to dig in with me since I have ample ongoing proof of him having a problem with me that doesn't exist.

edit: to be very clear, I will remove the water station the day I leave or when the police cut it off.

feverish and oversexed fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 7, 2023

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

TheWeedNumber posted:

is this a thing the white house hotline can do anything about? Like I normally would be like call them for when the VA or a government agency is being a poo poo but yeah...idk.

fight them fam but take care of yourself too. smdh what the gently caress

I HAVE WATER OUT, WORST CRIME IN THE WORLD LOL

EXACTLY MY POINT.
(The cringey veteran sign came out after the landlord told me to remove poo poo, I promise.)

Oh no! Someone's child saw water getting poured over themselves!
Like... WOULDN'T YOU RATHER SEE THAT THEN THE BODIES?
I personally am tired of bodies LITERALLY on my sidewalk so yeah, the FROZEN WATER BOTTLE STATION I'VE MAINTAINED ALL SUMMER IS STAYING.

For future goons: the CRRC told me if I get an actual notice of eviction to walk directly into their office with it and they got me, so that made me feel better (Community Resource Referral Center in Phoenix). I've contacted some lawyers and I am going to be talking further with the DAV who was helping me with my appeal and was aware I am having trouble finding new affordable housing (after he told me last week he wasn't renewing my lease for "blight"). Still looking for personal recommendations in the meantime tho

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
Good idea!!

Got an interview with abc15 tomorrow, still looking for a lawyer. I imagine after the story goes live I might get a little bit more publicity and find one.