Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
Late June/early July are bad times of the year for me.

I've been feeling myself slipping over the past few weeks, had to call work early yesterday. I'm still not sure if I'm up for work today, but gotta pay those bills.

I've been slightly thinking of going to the VA hospital and checking myself into the psych ward. Especially if that means I get to avoid the 2nd and the 4th of July.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

I reached out to some friends to get some help, in already feeling a bit more hopeful :smith:

Shout out to the goon that really stepped up for me, thank you!

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Sometimes weed can make me anxious if I really, really blaze up, maybe it's not a bad idea to cut back a little bit?

I've found, in the moment, that concentrating on my breathing really helps. Have you tried mindfulness? I attended a program to learn DBT(a form of therapy) at the VA and it has been quite helpful for me.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Yeah, it's about finding something that works for you! My most helpful meditation is going to the kitchen and hand washing dirty dishes. :)

I've also sometimes found sticking my head in the freezer helps me "cool down", both literally and figuratively.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

No worries! :)

Re:imposter syndrome, I feel the same, I feel like I was barely in what common culture would consider a "combat zone", I never fired my weapon in combat, I barely got shot at/attempted to get blown up, so why is it bothering me so much?

I had to talk things thru with my VA therapist at the time. I mentioned my thoughts and feelings I had from my deployment, and she basically ordered me to apply for disability.

Shoot, my biggest freak out things, was from when my superiors messed up (*I* was obeying regs and SOPs) and I almost shot and killed an innocent family. So it's, like, why should I be bothered by this?

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

12 years ago yesterday, we were on our way to Kirkuk when our lead vehicle got blown the gently caress up.

My best friend on my deployment was in the truck.

And now here come the fireworks, for like, the next 36 hours. Fmgl. :(

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

tyler posted:

I was in kirkuk 12 years ago

Well, gently caress.

I was down at Bernstein but we came up to Warrior once a week for resupply and touching base with higher type stuff.

I spent most of the day sleeping, now I'm gonna watch my wife play skyrim.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

tyler posted:

Were you 2/27?

No, 2/320

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

tyler posted:

Ah I think we replaced your brigade in 2006. I was 25th ID 2/35

Yeah, I remember the 25th came in to replace the 101st guys.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

I've been off about half my meds for a month, and it's gonna be another month before I can get in to see anybody.

I made sense when I came across this article about my VA this morning:

https://www.ajc.com/news/breaking-news/atlanta-quality-drops-one-the-worst-the-nation/AO9UmFuyN5y3eIJnzpJCQK/

Things are kinda rough for me today.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

I mean, at this point it's less than 30 days until my appt.

I....don't confront folks, cause I don't trust myself not to get overly emotional, and I assume the people at the VA just arrest/commit any veterans that get overly upset about lack of services. Since I cannot afford to take time off work, I avoid even bringing up stuff, tbh.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also, if you are a combat vet*, you are eligible to use your local vet center versus the VA clinic/hospital for mental health needs. Here's a link for Atlanta's since I think I read you say something about Georgia:

https://www.va.gov/directory/guide/facility.asp?ID=651

*To be a combat vet means you were just deployed to a warzone. If you have a campaign ribbon for OIF or OEF you almost certainly qualify. I use the vet center, personally, and I'm just a navy guy who sat off the coast of southern Iraq for the better part of a year. I'm a "combat veteran" under VA rules as a result. Don't get too hung up on the distinction, though. It's just another mental health resource for us.

Yah, I spent 2005-2006 in Iraq avoiding IEDs.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

I've got 30% PTSD disability rating from the VA. it should probably be more (looking at the online VA guidance for mental health disabilities, I'm pretty dang sure I should be at 50%, but...yeah, getting disability the first time was a mother.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

You are absolutely eligible for vet center use which might be faster access for you. Further, you should be rated higher. Did you use a VSO last time you put in your claim?

I'll call them tomorrow.

I did, I used an organization over on the military base next to my house, forget exactly who they are now, tho.

Ty everyone for your kind words and advice, it is helping. :)

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

It would be nice if I could even CONTACT any VSOs, I literally cannot contact anyone in any organization/no one responds.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

My DAV 1-has a phone number that never answers and instead goes straight to a message saying to call the number during business hours then disconnects. I've always only called during business hours.

2-email address bounces back. Doesn't matter what email address I send it from.

3-in person is forbidden....if I want to get on contact with them I have to "email or call". I seriously wasn't allowed past the lobby just to speak to them about getting an appointment. All I want is to get an appointment set up.

What's the loving point? Dead veterans don't get benefits, indeed.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

Do you live near a VA regional office? Mine has offices for a bunch of VSOs and my state's Department of Veterans Affairs (who handled my VA claim).

YES! They literally wouldn't let me past security because I didn't have an appointment with anybody.

And I can't get a hold on anyone thru phone or email.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

It's right next to my VA hospital (which just got downgraded to having the worst score possible, not surprised)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

This syria crap has left me feelin like poo poo.

I was in Kurdistan, fought alongside the pesh.....and now they're gonna get slaughtered by Turkey because our president is an rear end in a top hat moronic piece of poo poo.

I feel gross and disgusted I ever put on the uniform.