Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Hey guys has anyone (still in even) had a ton of anxiety lately?

I've been having non stop stress dreams the last 5 days. I haven't been taking on more news than normal, I've even dialed it back, I'm not going through a lot of stressful poo poo. I work out, and have been eating healthy.

Just the last week, I'm going to bed and fighting through hours of being late to formation with a beard and in civies, and someone reminding me I smoked pot in the dream (I don't smoke IRL and I'm active guard), deploying to somewhere to fight in a trench, and this kind of poo poo goes for hours and I wake up exhausted.

I've been freaked out by now persistent it is and I'm trying every relaxation technique I know, but the stress is starting to creep into my waking life.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

McNally posted:

Today's my wife's birthday. I'm going to be visiting her gravesite with flowers and a small bottle of mead that I made. She really liked it last time I made it.

It's been a rough 20 months, but I'm getting through it. The first six or so were probably the worst.

My condolences. I sincerely admire your strength during all this, I hope that anyone going through any tragedy would be able to look to your example with hope.

I'm sure I speak for most of us here when we say we're here for you regardless.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 16, 2017

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

McNally posted:

My best friend killed herself last night.

gently caress.

Jesus McNally. I'm sorry.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Can I ask what for? That sucks and I hope he recovers fully.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
So if a psychiatrist says I a soldier I know have ADHD, is that a medical discharge or???

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
No but like what if that person wanted to get out

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
RIP Christine Fleming.

I don't know why made you leave behind your three kids but it must've been awful.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
So I mentioned that we recently lost one of our former soldiers to suicide recently, and yesterday we almost lost another.

I'm so frustrated because everyone wanted to help but were so deaf to what they were saying. "I'm just going to go back to drinking because when I black it I'm not stressed," or "I was planning on taking these pills last night but the baby distracted me," isn't a loving asking for a night out with the boys.

They never asked her "if you were to take the night off, would someone be able to watch the kids?" Or "do you want to go to the hospital?"

I hope she continues to get help and I'm not sure what we need to do to ensure she keeps getting help. I'm glad she's being taken care of right now, and that she spoke out, but Jesus Christ, my command didn't realize they're not doctors or therapists and I feel like they almost missed the point.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
What country?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It's not pleasant but sometimes you have to understand that a person can change and sometimes not for the better.

If he's abusing his wife, imagine how much worse it is for her; she may have been in love with this guy, and it's common for abused partners to still see it that way, so they avoid "ruining" the relationship -- so she's effectively trapped in an abusive cycle until she's dead or someone says something.

I'll take the freedom of an abused person over friendship any day. You may want to look into Social Services.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 27, 2018

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
What do you guys do on the days you just loving hate everything?

I'm just irritated all day. I tried taking the dogs out, working out, had to hang out at a kids bday party but nothing's really making sense to be stressing me out.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Thalantos posted:

I mean, at this point it's less than 30 days until my appt.

I....don't confront folks, cause I don't trust myself not to get overly emotional, and I assume the people at the VA just arrest/commit any veterans that get overly upset about lack of services. Since I cannot afford to take time off work, I avoid even bringing up stuff, tbh.

Hey dude. Even though this doesn't help you directly, I understand how it feels to not want to be confrontational. It's why I gotta quit the Army.

My wife's therapist has been seeing me under the table to get me on some kind of anxiety/depression management. I don't know what local resources you have, but you can still see people for cheap/free and work the disability paperwork after the diagnosis.

Also if any of you are super desperate and have had a prescription at some point there are some options I've used while uninsured.

I don't condone nor am I suggesting unsupervised prescription use, but insurance coverage has been undeniably getting way loving worse and I don't want to lose another sister/brother to sadbrains.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Hey Cole that's the most I've ever related to you. I rabbit hole over sillier poo poo like saying something slightly awkward to a stranger, which has led to darker thoughts of what the world would be like without me.

Breathing exercises occupy my mind long enough for the worst anxiety to wash over. Long slow ten second in, ten second hold, ten second out.

Also there are a few mindfulness technique that keep your amygdala from firing off more amygdalin, by forcing your conscious mind aware that you are not being attacked by a bear and recognizing that you're not in immediate danger.

There are too many to list, but I'm a fan of the exercise where I have to focus on my breath; then slowly expand my focus to my body, then surroundings. Then notice the details, shapes, color etc if the things around me; but I have to avoid labeling and categorizing everything, just observing.

With practice, it has significantly helped me calm down the little rear end in a top hat almond in my brain.

I'm sorry it sucks. I hope that helps.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Just made a major discovery in my sad brains and anxiety journey! My anxiety is likely a coping mechanism for the depression, and the depression is likely the coping mechanism from the dissociative episode I had in 2011, caused by immense emotional strain and anger.

That's our next bit to process and I'm still on the road to recovery but it's amazing to have it... identified. Makes it a lot easier to realize that it doesn't define me and that I can move on from both of those constant feelings, if just for a little bit, at my own will.

Please keep getting treatment! I can't believe how much a session a week with a real therapist has been helping, even when I was ready to quit.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Sounds like you could've had a dissociative episode in your life.

My personal experience is that I have a lovely memory because of childhood abuse and trauma, so when I'm stressed or angry, my autopilot is pretty good at navigating conversations, but doesn't really "write" anything about it, because I'm busy not being there so I don't get mad (I'm scared if being mad because it made me dissociate once before).

If you've been going to that therapist for a while, and you still feel like that, they maybe not working out for you. If you're new to them or don't have options, make sure to remember that is not enough to just check into therapy, you gotta stir up the poo poo at the bottom of the pot to burn it off.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Another suicide: this time a soldier whom while at work I loving hated. Always on my case, hypocrite, jock.

I miss them.

Before we deployed to Africa, my wife had to leave town before our 4 day pass was up.

The soldier I thought hated me, invited me out with her wife and kid, and some mutual friends, and even after I got too drunk, she never once bright that poo poo up in public or private.

We lost a character today and for reasons I can't comprehend, because I don't understand those voices when I hear them either.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Oh cool it was over divorce. So the one good memory I have is tainted now too.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm doing better today and is still frustrating, but I'm managing a lot better than I thought

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
You don't have to go into detail but just a word from someone who had anxiety from abuse and trauma: sometimes coded or vague messages can trigger anxiety, because the sufferer can begin to expect bad things to happen.

And of course we're here man. It's hard enough with help, and it helps to have people with a shared culture -- can't even count the number of times I give my civilian therapist a stroke explaining the background of a whole dumb Army process.

Let us know if you need anything man.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
No problem man, just wanted to put that out there. It's better to ask for help directly and I just wanted to know if you were good.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Busket Posket posted:

By some weird synchronicity, my buddy was about to give up on going to the weekly PTSD groups and get back into self-medicating because dick-all was being done for any other part of his health (TBI? Migraines? Seizures? Good luck! Both our neurologists retired! And the PA thinks you’re faking it! Compression fractures in your spine you’ve been treated for since 2008? Ha, now we can’t find any evidence and your chart is marked Drug Seeking! Godspeed!).

Then the Shreveport VA pulled its head out of its rear end and actually got him in to an outside pulmonary clinic for his COPD. The doctor there was from Iraq and they spent half the appointment comparing where doc lived to where my buddy was stationed, how many hosed up things they both saw around the same time period, and how important it was to the doc to keep getting therapy about it, which enabled him to get through med school.

Just the serendipity of “gently caress this, no one can possibly understand what I’ve been through — back to the pills!” then a few days later “this dude knew exactly where I was and what I went through and he went through it too. I wanna talk about that at group next week.”

And I’m grateful to not have to find yet another friend’s body then notify their family.

Yikes that could've broke bad.

Glad it's starting to come around.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
That's unfortunately I feel like we're going to keep seeing more of this.

Media and our own drat hero worship culture has started to cause backlash, because people are more presuming upon the experiences of Veterans based on whatever they consume.

It's not the same but I've had kids that ask if I was a "real soldier" or just someone who stayed behind. It's a bit easier to explain the difference when they're kids and just missed misguided, opposed to a dipshit drink grown-up in a bar.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
You're just human dude.

I think a bad person wouldn't have the introspection to look for those answers.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Riggy posted:

Are you almost treated like a an adult human being with rights and not told to shut the gently caress up when things make no sense?

Small people want to feel big everywhere. The army just has pay tables for it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Man I've spent the last 12 years in IT.

Get certs paid for at every chance. Doesn't matter if you loving hate it; I missed out on thousands not being certified in poo poo.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Therapy still helps guys. Keep doing it.

Had a great breakthrough today over something that bugged me for years, so feeling really lucky and invigorated.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Man, I've heard of brain zaps and I think I've had a couple in my life after some overwhelming stress and underlying fatigue got the best of my brain, but what I had sounds way better than yours. I'm sorry dude.

I don't know where to put this but I'm just kinda looking for support; had anyone had an abusive parent?

I've been going to therapy REGULARLY now, and it's helping to neutralize the past feelings about trauma that "inform" my anxieties.

That being said, recently I snapped in a group text recently when my mom and her wife started chastising me for being such a terrible son for not setting up a mother's day potluck that my MOTHER IN LAW is inviting them to.

When that happened it triggered really poo poo memories of my childhood, and so I straight up just told my mother that I've been avoiding her because I'm trying to process the abuse I went through for decades and how I want to move on so that we can have a better relationship as adults, but she's... Not able to understand. She thinks that what happened were "mistakes", and hasn't talked to me since Tuesday.

My mother was verifiably the victim of abuse, as was my stepmom. I don't believe that excuses their actions obviously.

How do you deal with feelings of attachment and obligation to your family? I have an undue amount of guilt from how I was raised towards being a "good son". Simply cutting my mom out of my life sucks, and I'm not sure I want to even do that, even if it is the "best" option.

I'm working with my therapist about this too, but right now, I kinda just need to know that someone's figured this poo poo out, and I feel really isolated.

CW: Child abuse, gaslighting.

I was an only child in my household (I have a half sister from my father, she rules, and grew up half a country away).

My mom terrorized and abused me for years. She combined irregular beatings and elaborate punishments with her pattern of convincing me that I was better off with her: she would reinforce this idea by downplaying her abuses to her less advantaged students, and telling them to convince me they would prefer my mother, who was usually their only parental figure.

When my mom got married, all this escalated into a frantic irregular pattern of setting unrealistic standards of aptitude in school or at home, and when l would fail those activities, my mother would precipitate either beatings or multi hour "lectures" ( basic training yelling and occasionally slaps and spitting) from her (now long ex) wife.

The abuse was impossible to end, but on the positive, really made life as a gently caress up in the Army easy, because most people don't hit you there.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 3, 2019

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Booger Presley posted:

Had a significant mental break at my girlfriend's daughter's party. Thought I was enlightened and reasonable, but it turns out, I am still a broken rear end in a top hat.

Don't be complacent, don't think you're good just because there's a lull. Continue with your programs. I will not recover from this and I deserve the damage, it's my own failing and now I get think about these things every day.

I'm saying this as someone who was raised by abuse very passionately and without any anger or judgment, but you NEVER deserve damage -- You deserve to get better.

Punishment is best left for your God or a judge to handle. Please don't punish yourself for things that the world already will gladly do for you.

Much love dude, I hope tomorrow is better for everyone.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

bird cooch posted:

But the grocery store? Terrifying. The movies? Nope. an empty hardware store in the middle of the day? I'm writing this because I've been sitting in the parking lot trying to pump my self up to go in without taking a Xanax first. Or two. Or just going home. I tried yesterday and couldn't do it. I've been here a hundred times.

Hey so my stuff is a little different but I highly recommend parts therapy. IDK how your therapy situation is, but it really helps to neutralize and process snap emotions like this, after some practice, I get over the Costco jitters before they happen now.

I go to a civilian therapist because VA care is like talking to a brick wall. I'm sorry dude/dudette. I'm here to talk if you need it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

colachute posted:

One of those days. I’m depressed. I spent a lot of time laying in bed last night thinking about life. I’m just not happy. I don’t know what to do to get happy. I asked for more hours at work because, even though I wasn’t happy working the 70-80 weeks a few months ago, at least I was too tired and busy to be depressed.

And boy howdy do I feel like a crybaby after typing that.

I'm sorry. I got my old job back with a raise and my friend who I got job here got promoted as my supervisor for a $10 hourly raise, so I'm trying desperately to be happy for my friend but I also can't fight this bitch assed jealousy.

And I still don't know how to handle it.

I'm genuinely like, happy for my friend. I'm just tired of stepping on my own dick professionally.

I feel like a crybaby typing THAT.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cenen posted:

Like I’ve never even remotely gotten flak for being in the military. I’ve always figured I’d be able to handle war criminal or baby killer or what have you but I seriously don’t know how I can look at todays military and not expect to be called a Nazi at some point in the future. The insane amount of white pride straight pride openly displayed in uniform bull poo poo is scary as gently caress. I’d much rather be tangentially associated with our misdeeds done over seas years ago than whatever skinny rear end wall punching virgin white boy Nazi apologia poo poo is going on today.

I was called the criminal once by a former coworker at the grocery store. Really out of the blue; I had my left for a while, but I still dropped by they store because it was nearest my mom's.

A lot of people knew I was on the short list to deploy soon from either me or my mom, but he dispassionately told me how he thought what I was doing was wrong and I ought to be in jail if I went through with it.

In 2009.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Sorry dude. I can't imagine what you're dealing with.

I would personally recommend, however you can, to start getting therapy now. It will help you process things better as things change for you.

Even if you don't like the therapist and you want to find a new one, keep a regular practice and try to really be unafraid to say what's really getting at you.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Treat everyone your best y'all. I'm so relieved to hear your wife is alive and only scuffed up.

I got hit by a car jaywalking as a teen and when the adrenaline wore off, I started puking everywhere. It really messed me up physically for days.

Best of luck and a speedy recovery to both of you.

Also, casual therapy reminder; those kinds of things need time to process.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
So is there something I should worry about wrt my benefits if I get diagnosed with ADHD?.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ElMaligno posted:

Hello my dudes, i have been working graveyard shifts and SAD has been hitting me hard.

Hey bro just got off my 2300-1000 rotation. I feel you.

Chat rooms stave off the loneliness for a while. Blackout curtains, strict lights off hours and "goodnight" rituals help too.

Sorry bro.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Go outside more on your days off. Staying out of the house helped a ton with my mood, even if it interfered sightly with my sleep, if that makes sense. Getting a change of scenery helps.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm so tired.

I need to get service connected in the VA and I literally don't know where the gently caress to start.

Everyone talks about how they got their poo poo for flat feet and shin splints and I don't know how to get A VA BRAIN DOCTOR to rate me for having suicidal ideations and hosed up guts.

Every piece of advice feels worthless because I can't keep track of what I'm supposed to do because I can not think straight 90% of the day. I start the process, get lost, ask the wrong question, get the wrong appointment, and then get a bill in the mail.

I have to remind myself out loud what I'm doing for Christ sake; how the gently caress am I supposed to hound a loving institution for healthcare?

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 5, 2019

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Arrgytehpirate posted:

My team leader from Iraq had a seizure and died on Saturday morning. They found his body today. I spent an hour and a half crying at work in the back before I could pull myself together enough to finish the days projext and go home.

Now I’m dealing with it in the most mature way possible. Coke and beer.

I texted him Friday night and he didn’t answer which is rare.

What if he was already loving dead? Why didn’t I get concerned? gently caress

You're okay. I'm sorry this happened.

Sadness is the loving worst mixer, though. Don't go far down that path.

I genuinely cannot imagine what your going through, and I'm sorry.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Hey guys. This news has me so anxious I have barely registered my bfffl admitting that he's been on the brink for nearly a year and some other baggage that's been holding him down.

he is ok right now, but that was scary. I hope that all of you are well and I think I could use some rest now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm super freaked this whole week.

Feels like my heart's going to explode.