Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Fart City posted:

ayo.

I'm a civilian. I know that will make me a target for noise. But I read GIP to gain knowledge for men and women who are far, far braver than I am.

Being a civilian in GiP won't get you any guff and if it does tell them to SM(Y)DFTB even if you're somewhere else on the gender spectrum, it is the idea that counts.

And seconding your empathy comment as I cannot understand people in this Hellscape of a world who have zero empathy for what others are going through. It makes us strong indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

colachute posted:

Something I heard that I want to clear up:

If I go to a psychologist (or even a psychiatrist, but with no intention of getting a prescription for anything) and use my insurance, do insurance companies require a diagnosis for them to pay?

I started seeing a counselor about a month ago and I pay cash because she doesn’t have to keep any type of records. She said in order for insurance to reimburse her, she would need to provide them a diagnosis after so many visits, and I want to know how true that is. I know she would have to keep records regardless, I’m just curious about the diagnosis part.

E: a quick google tells me that this IS the case. Probably something worth knowing.

I am not a therapist yet (one more year to go for my MSW) but yeah they need to diagnose you with something from the DSM or say you have not reached a clinical level and stop. Insurance does not want to pay if you don't have something technically wrong but cash is king as you found out.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

No idea if it's SAD or that I work at a place where people I've taken care of have died. But I'm really hitting bottom right now. Last week had a scare where I had been exposed to a patient who had Covid. Got myself a little quarantine until I could test negative twice. Spent Christmas alone and isolated. I'm so tired right now. Tired of being cooped up and tired of feeling alone. And the worst part is I work at a mental hospital. So I know what happens if you express your feelings. And I'm scared to let anyone else know except anonymously. I want to tell my girlfriend but I'm afraid it will scare her.

I am probably preaching to the choir if you're working at a mental health facility but it is normal the feelings you're having and it is understandable how reticent you are for seeking outside help

These are a few peer resources I send to my clients that I've heard good things from and may be able to help you:

Objective Zero 
Mobile app technology to connect the military community to peer support, wellness and mental health resources. 
To get the app: https://www.objectivezero.org/

Vets 4 Warriors 
Our mission is to provide 24/7 confidential, stigma free peer support by veterans to Active Duty, National Guard and Reserve service members, Veterans, Retirees, and their families/caregivers. Share lived experiences to create an environment of trust that demonstrates you are never alone, there is a caring, empathic voice ready to connect and follow up. We serve all Active Duty, National Guard and Reserve, military members, Veterans and their families without restrictions. Phone and chat options are available. 
Phone: 855-838-8255 

Vets Prevail 
Vets Prevail is a leader in technology-based behavioral health and resilience building for a wide range of challenges from depression to PTSD to substance abuse. Prevail's technology platform provides online care tailored to each individual's unique clinical and demographic needs. The program incorporates interactive multimedia e-learning lessons, peer support, diagnostic self-assessments, and proprietary software for scheduling and tracking user activities, thoughts and feelings. 
Join the program of veterans supporting veterans or chat with a vet. Vets Prevail is for Veterans and supported by Veterans to help them overcome challenges. Sponsored by the VA. 
Chat with a Vet: https://www.vetsprevail.org/

Good luck with your journey and know that you've always got this little space of the internet here with good folks that are trying to help each other as best they can

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Any advice on getting help with anxiety when the VA doesn't seem to listen? In 2014 I went to VA mental health about anger issues and outbursts and that helped alot, but since having moved twice, neither VA in New Hampshire or Pennsylvania has been worth much.

Edit: I'm not sure if the VA in Providence was an exception in terms of getting mental health care, but it just seems like the people I've worked with since don't really listen and don't care. I'm thankfully past the point of thinking of self-harm or acting aggressively towards others without reason, but sometimes my anxiety just is the most hateful thing imaginable and it makes it hard to function sometimes. Thankfully my husband is understanding and helps out alot, but it would be nice to not have to be reassured that I'm worth someones time and effort.

I am going to provide some resources here that may overlap with what you've used/tried so please I hope you do not take it as belittling/minimizing/etc

I'm sorry you're having issues with the VA proper; VA's Vet Centers may be helpful for you https://www.vetcenter.va.gov/

Centerstone provides complementary to what the VA provides: https://centerstone.org/military-services/get-started/

Give an Hour has good connection to local mental health providers: https://giveanhour.org/military/

I didn't have experience providing referrals but have heard good things about Cohen Veterans Network: https://www.cohenveteransnetwork.org/backtobetter/

I hope you're able to get the help you need as you're worthy of being who you want to be and I wish you the best on your journey toward that

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

About venting….

I had a bad night Saturday night. It was the first time I have lost control of myself like that in years. It felt like all of the work I had done on myself was getting thrown out the window. I haven’t felt emotions this intense in about a decade.

I was throwing it all away again. Everything good in my life. I absolutely went too far.

But you know what I did at the height of my manic behavior?

I called someone. Something I have never done until I’ve already burned bridges and hit rock bottom.

And it helped. I was still stressed. I was still pacing around my apartment all night. I was having conversations with nobody, just to get my emotions out. I didn’t sleep for about 40 hours.

But I stopped my destructive skid out of control. Right in its tracks. A bit too late, but gently caress you, I managed to regain control of myself where I’d never been able to before.

I fuckin’ rock.

Ten years ago, when I was feeling that emotionally intense, I tried to put a bullet in my head.

Saturday night I was going through my drawers looking for pen and paper. I looked in my nightstand and didn’t even acknowledge the pistol. I only acknowledged that there wasn’t pen and paper. It was actually a moment where, in the height of everything, I was still able to take a second and realize that I didn’t even notice the pistol after I had closed the drawer and took a few steps.

That’s a big loving deal to me.

I had to visit the dark side a bit to see it, but goddamn have I gotten better.

Good for you cole and great to hear

Remember that working on mental health is a marathon and not a sprint so keep doing your best and posting Monty pics

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

VA to pay for all emergency mental health care starting next week

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2023/01/13/va-to-pay-for-all-emergency-mental-health-care-starting-next-week/

quote:

Starting Jan. 17, all veterans will be able to access emergency mental health care free of charge at any Veterans Affairs medical facility or outside clinic, regardless of whether they are already enrolled in department health care services.

Department officials announced the new policy on Friday as part of nationwide efforts to prevent suicide among veterans. According to the latest department data, about 17 veterans a day die by suicide.

“Veterans in suicidal crisis can now receive the free, world-class emergency health care they deserve, no matter where they need it, when they need it, or whether they’re enrolled in VA care,” VA Secretary Denis McDonough said in a statement. “This expansion of care will save veterans’ lives, and there’s nothing more important than that.”

The new policy applies to all veterans with any separation status except a dishonorable discharge, regardless of whether they qualify for other VA medical services.

About 18 million veterans are living in America today, but only about half are currently enrolled in veterans health care through the department.

Since 2019, all VA medical facilities have been required to provide same-day access to emergency mental health care to veterans.

Under the new policy, VA will either waive costs for care or — in cases of visits outside the VA system — provide reimbursements for emergency mental health care. Those costs can include appointment fees, transportation costs and other related follow-up expenses.

The new plan also calls for VA to cover the costs of up to 30 days of inpatient or residential care for treatment of those mental health issues and up to 90 days of outpatient care if veterans are experiencing an acute suicidal crisis.

The move is based on legislation adopted by Congress nearly two years ago. House Veterans’ Affairs Committee ranking member Mark Takano, R-Calif., who authored the measure, praised the department on Friday for its implementation.

“This new benefit removes cost from the equation when veterans are at imminent risk of self-harm and allows them to access lifesaving care when they need it most, regardless of whether the veteran has ever enrolled in or used VA healthcare benefits,” he said in a statement.

“But there is more work to do. As we embark on a new year and a new Congress, I will continue to prioritize meaningful solutions to help save veterans’ lives.”

Suicide prevention has been a top clinical focus for Congress and the department for more than a decade, but progress on reducing the number of military and veterans suicides has been limited.

Veterans experiencing a mental health emergency can contact the Veteran Crisis Line through 988 or at 1-800-273-8255. Callers should select option 1 for a VA staffer. Veterans, troops or their family members can also text 838255 or visit VeteransCrisisLine.net for assistance."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Has anyone made a claim from mental health issues, specifically PTSD, they did not claim while in service? I am currently 10% from tendinious and minor knee issues. I always tried to be the good Chief and tell my young Sailors to seek help as it would not negatively affect their career or security clearance. As I told them this, I did not seek treatment myself but I went back to grad school for an MSW and became a Therapist to help folks. Recently, I had a panic attack when the smoke alarm triggered with zero warning (no smoke or high heat) while my spouse and it really hosed me up. My main issue is did anyone work through the VA to get a diagnosis and then compensation or am I better working outside and then making a claim for PTSD?