Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

TBeats posted:

My question is, how do I deal with it? The obvious answer is to go to the doctor, which I have an appointment to do in late March (earliest possible appt), but has anyone ever dealt with anything similar?

Came across this and wanted to chime in: Violent nightmares, with sleep yelling and flailing, can be symptomatic of PTSD. I have childhood trauma, and this happened a lot back when I tried to drink it away as a kid. I haven't been in combat, and so I won't pretend to know what that will do to you - but I know some tricks that have helped me:

- No coffee, alcohol, tea etc. after noon. Try to stay off mind-benders like pot and speed.
- Go to sleep and wake up at the same time every day. Trust me on this.
- Meditate and try not to get worked up.
- Turn off electrical appliances in your sleeping room.
- Don't use your bed for anything besides sleep and sex.

Some people are helped by finding a new sleeping position. I used to have bad sleep paralysis and night terrors until I taught myself to sleep on my belly, it's never come back.

Best of luck and I hope you get a good doc!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU