Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I downloaded it, waiting for authorization.

Also the link for iOS is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Are you saying we have to step outside? Cause I just got here. Let me sit down first.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yup. Like I said in chat, I legit said "Thanks for your service," to some firefighters today. I personally, will never turn my nose up at any public servant like that. You guys deserve respect just as we did and do. And I'm also sure every body here on some level agrees with me.

And never feel bad for asking for help. Just don't pretend to be something you're not. That's 100% not directed at you but more of a cautionary IDR thing for anyone lurking.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

My dreams stopped when my stress levels went down. I used to kick and flail too, including almost hitting my wife in the stomach while she was pregnant.

Even if Saturday is relax day, you need to find something to get your brain to relax. Not just your body.

Good luck.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

My buddy has PTSD of a training exercise gone wrong involving unsecured Constantine wire and a bad LZ.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

McNally posted:

Today's my wife's birthday. I'm going to be visiting her gravesite with flowers and a small bottle of mead that I made. She really liked it last time I made it.

It's been a rough 20 months, but I'm getting through it. The first six or so were probably the worst.

It's hard to believe it's been that long since this all started. I'm glad you're still here.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

McNally posted:

My best friend killed herself last night.

gently caress.

Why you? Like, I'm genuinely curious now.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

McNally posted:

Statistical outlier?

I mean universe wise I guess. Of all people to burden these, why pick you? Destiny or dogma, I don't know. I wish there were words to describe it. It's not fair how someone at random sometimes gets dealt blows like this over and over.

I'm sorry about all of this man.

In the end of all this, you will either be a fantastic individual weathered and polished, or you'll spiral down into a pit where you've been before.

Just don't forget to reach out if you start spinning. We all want to see you happy.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Edit: dumb joke that shouldnt have been said.

My joke was gonna be that he should just take the hint that women don't like being around him and should consider being gay.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Pesticide20 posted:

I am looking forward to the made for TV movie about McNally's life after he gets elected to Congress or some poo poo

I have the know-how, ability, and experience to do a documentary thing. I'd be willing to do it free schedule permitting and finances pending. (Not for me or whatever. I'm talking about travel and stuff). That offer is for you McNally and I'll PM you my work if you're interested. I'd post it here but 1) my name is on it because I sign off, and 2) I've been doxxed twice here already and I'm not wanting 3.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

That might actually be a healthy response? I don't know, my sense of everything is miscalibrated

Sorry this happened to you

We are Veterans. All of our sense of everything is miscalibrated.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

My best bud just went into an inpatient program. He's the last of my friends alive. This poo poo sucks. (Sorry about stepping on your toes McNally. I don't have anyone to tell anymore)

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

All I know is is that he and his wife separated and it's complicated because they have a DEERS daughter. I feel like that loving scene in SLC Punk where the protagonist is freaking out because Heroin Bob OD'd. I'm glad he's getting help, I just feel useless not being able to be there for him.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

In a really hard place right now. My father works for the Division of Forestry (Florida no less) and is a federal first responder to national disasters. He is being sent to Orlando, or is in Orlando already, to brave Irma with thousands of other unfortunate aid workers. My step mother is not able to evacuate but might be OK because they live near the NW Panhandle. If the storm changes, which it might, that could mean a lot of bad things. Mainly the big observation tower for forest fires in the immediate vicinity of their house.

I've been up all night preparing for the worst. I already said "good-bye" just in case the worst happens. I gave them words of encouragement that I'll make it out there and the hopes that we can laugh about this later.

I want to believe that, but I feel deep down that my dad might not make it back.

I have a really bad feeling.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Parents made it through. Dad is helping lead like 8000 people through rescue efforts. He has MREs that expired in 2014. Se la vi

My mom did ok too. Irma split between where they were, and I was super panicked because Irma kept shooting that gap between Cuba and looked like it was gonna hit the NW panhandle until Cuba stood up and took a beating.

My dad is helping so until he gets out, I won't feel great. But at least they're alive.

Unlike the two people who decided to brace the goddamn storm, in the keys, in a boat.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Careful about that.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

McNally posted:

Drinking doesn't make you feel better. It makes you care less.

This. I stopped drinking when I tried to convince a girl I work with to go gently caress around with me while her husband was in the field (I know) at a bar where my pregnant wife was also hanging out with me. She caught me after I told her to go home and I would catch a cab. I realized afterwards that I needed to stop, and I was about to destroy everything in my life. It's very possible that if I hadn't been rejected, she would have walked in with me and other girl face loving each other.

I still can drink beer and not feel guilty. But it made me get my poo poo together. Now I just don't want it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

hey what are the downfalls of getting a mmj perscription?

i went to the va last week to get looked over again for ptsd. Doctor said yep. Getting looked at by mental health on Thursday, and been talking seriously with the wife about it. She's for it, but I want to know what I'm looking at before I get added to the list.

i know weapons are a no-no. im fine with that. never fired a weapon outside of the army, prolly never will again.

You won't be getting it through the VA doc, some still look down on it (my psychiatrist)

I am currently doing an informative speech on medical marijuana and it's applications and am mainly focusing on the opioid aspect of it but can link you peer reviewed publications concerning that and applications into types of anxiety disorders as well.

Big advocate for it but keep in mind it's still a substance you are using to alleviate an issue and therefore must be respected.

Don't go full retard, you'll spiral out of control.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

So if a psychiatrist says I a soldier I know have ADHD, is that a medical discharge or???

No. Maybe if it was a larger indicator like PTSD. I was diagnosed with ADHD and clinical depression for years before I got diagnosed with PTSD.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Today is one year ago that my friend overdosed on pain medication

Be careful what you take guys. That poo poo is dangerous

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Spacman posted:

I wanted to kill myself for years, now I have kids and I have to do the right poo poo by them.

Kids kinda fix your broke brain. Cant kill myself until they leave home now.

This literally stopped me. The look on my sons face when I was about to leave to do it.

It’s a game changer.

Remember, you don’t get rid of your pain, you just give it to someone else.

McNally posted:

Well, the tree is up and the house smells like pine.

Nothing like subtle reminders of the worst period of your life. Thanks, Christmas.

Have you tried switching things up? Instead of traditions you did as a team, are there things you can recreate and do for yourself?

I’m glad you’re doing better and I hope Christmas doesn’t lose it’s magic for you because of this. It took me 30 years to like Christmas and look forward to it.

Even without family, it can be a good time. You just need to know where to look.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Oh good, it runs small.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

McNally posted:

It's been two years.

Time may not heal all wounds, but what they do offer, is how to treat it. Two years of suffering is a lot for anyone to endure, and I hope that during that time, you have let happiness shine as a compass; guiding you out of the darkness. That darkness will never go away, it’s like ink. It stays and does not go away. It will fade however, and do not forget the beauty that can be made with ink. With darkness. Masterpieces created with a canvas (you) and ink (your pain). You can choose to create something new, or let it become a stain on an otherwise great piece of work.

Just don’t let it consume you.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Yeah, the first thing I do when I feel the panic coming on is start to focus on my breathing with a four count inhale, four count hold, four count exhale, and another four count hold. It's dumb, but I think of it as trying to control my breathing like I would while conducting a stress shoot. Then I add in some mindfulness exercises. But sometimes the anxiety just kicks my rear end and that isn't enough.

THC doesn’t help anxiety. CBD does. You’re already doing a form of meditation. I keep a 50/50 pen with me at school to help with the anxiety.

Other than that, another thing I do is force myself to deal with it. Like being late for class sends me into a tailspin. I’ll force myself to be late just to realize that it’s ok, my professors won’t dock my grade, and that being late happens.

Most of my anxiety comes from trying to control situations. Learning how to let go helped a ton.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

For real, even though I'm only 26 (almost 27), I feel absolutely out of place among my classmates, most of whom are six to eight years my younger. poo poo sucks at times, especially when I have teachers telling me they expect me to be a leader because I'm older. Like, gently caress, I'm in this class to learn the poo poo as much as the kids are, I'm not here to lead them in anything.

Finished the final I was feeling a lot of anxiety about, and it wasn't too incredibly hard. I even had a lot of fun decrypting a ROT-1 cipher. Again, y'all are good people.

I feel you. I gave a speech and no one knew who Richard Simmons was.

Also gently caress your teacher. I told that to my Italian teacher after I was struggling and getting frustrated and she said “who?” As in who are you trying to lead? I realized I didn’t have to.

The teacher should be the loving leader, they’re the ones teaching.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Naked Bear posted:

You still did the right thing. Most people don't have the guts to speak up. Thank you for being a good person.

Basically this. The only thing you could have done was confront him yourself who may have also been violent towards you for calling out his misbehaviour. Dont best yourself up, and understand that people are always changing. Not always for the better.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Mustang posted:

I just drink everyday I get off work, get angry about life in the Army, go to bed and wake up still angry at the Army.

It's Definitely an awful way of dealing with things.

I'm pretty bitter about how my married with kids peers get to use having a family to get off work, avoid weekend taskings, and have your spouse become friends with their bosses spouse so they're less likely to get poo poo on.

Single soldiers just get relentlessly poo poo on.

I've pretty much given up on dating until I get out of the Army because I either have to cancel because I never know when I'm getting off for the day or I'm just flat out too tired to do anything. I used to try to get out of working (at 1700!!!) if I had something planned with a girl but I get something like "you just met her, it can't be that important" and then I do whatever I had to do to make some box on a tracker turn green.

My peers with families on the other hand get days off for anniversaries, kids birthdays and all sorts of bullshit. "My kids sick! Can't come in today even though my spouse stays at home!"

Can't task so and so with this weekend detail! That's taking time away from his family!

The Army is such a crock of poo poo.

If it makes you feel better I typically had to request leave to get those days off. When I was married at FT Knox, I still had to drive on post to plow commands parking lot of snow and ice before work. My commander openly called my marriage a green card marriage because my wife was born in another country. She was a citizen when I married her

The quicker you stop caring, the better off youll be. Make excuses to find some you time.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Thalantos posted:

I've got 30% PTSD disability rating from the VA. it should probably be more (looking at the online VA guidance for mental health disabilities, I'm pretty dang sure I should be at 50%, but...yeah, getting disability the first time was a mother.

50% is pretty much the standard iirc. This means that you meet the 30% requirements but not the 50%. I would highly recommend finding those ratings and determining if that's accurate. If not, appeal it. I am using a good loving lawyer right now, and he goes world wide and has access to people that other companies can't provide (he talked to 2nd in command at the regional VA center in Seattle). I am at 70, but I also completely agree with what my rating is for PTSD. Always fight back. I've been denied a bunch of poo poo but I'm getting it all turned around now thanks to my lawyer.

boop the snoot posted:

I hate how my mind rabbit holes itself about dumb poo poo. I never rabbit hole good poo poo, only dumb poo poo.

I don’t know what the gently caress I was thinking when I said I might give Monty away. What a dumb loving thing to think. I just left for a work trip yesterday. I dropped Monty off at a babysitter’s Saturday. Sleeping in my apartment was rough Saturday night. The silence is deafening, even compared to when Monty is there being silent and asleep. His presence alone adds volume to the room. I can’t explain what I’m trying to say here, but I definitely felt like a part of me got chopped off.

I don’t know why it’s been more rough this time, but that rabbit hole thinking has me paranoid. Why am I SO MUCH MORE anxious this time? I’ve fought back tears in a few occasions. Is something going to happen while I’m away? I had a dream last night that he got hit by a car. And it played on a loving loop. I saw it happen several times. I’ve had dreams about deployment, people I know getting shot/blown up. I never have trouble going back to sleep for those dreams. But a dream about my dog getting run over? I might not sleep even tonight because of it.

Luckily this is the last trip for work for a while. I volunteered for it because it was important for me to go on a trip to familiarize myself with all parts of this new project I am on. It’s just been a tough couple of days.

And I start feeling weird about that. I’m 30 years old and I, figuratively, have an umbilical cord attached to my dog. I cannot function properly without him. It shouldn’t be this way. I should be able to function by myself, but I can’t. And it makes me feel immature and childish.

Anyway, I’m done ranting. This was all kind of free flow thought so if it seems scattered and all over the place that’s why. Just wanted to vent.

I get rabbitholes. I get negative thought loops all the time. Replace your dog with my family and we have the same thing. Your dog grounds you, so your head is free to wander whenever it's not there. " Idle hands may be the devil's work, but idle minds are so much worse."

This sounds stupid, but try to meditate. Seriously. The point of trying to get your mind clear is an exercise, and helps get rid of those thought loops. At least for me. This is what I do. Lay down, close my eyes, and breathe deep in for 4 and out for 4. I count, and reminding myself to count. I will often start to think of everything and when I catch myself doing so, I remind myself to count. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes to get that loop to stop, sometimes it's 30 minutes. Don't open your eyes, just try to relax. Give yourself nothing to distract you. This is how I stop my loops. Almost nothing else works.

Also, don't be afraid to go on meds. I had to get back on medication because I literally could not stop having panic attacks. I could have tried to tough it out, but you also need to recognize when to get help if you need it. Don't hesitate to reach out if you need someone to talk to.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Gender role reversal is very much a thing. Look at sexual assault and rape. "If guys didnt want it they wouldnt get hard..." or whatever. Same with parental leave and family issues.

I think its bullshit youre having to continually do this. I would recommend looking to their political opponents and volunteering with your story. People latch on to that selfless service better than victimazation because "pull yourself up from your bootstraps" American individualism.

The squeeky wheel gets the grease. People on the internet are stupid and dont feel obligated to explain any exposition to them. Dont give up, and dont feel the need to be nice to those guys. Sometimes you have to be authoritative. The bad part about having your private life on the internet is that people are malicious with that information sometimes.

You are tired and shouldnt have had to go through any of this. I dont know if you have found closure either. I hope you do if you havent already.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Ive been having recurring nightmares. Always being back in Iraq, wondering how the gently caress i am going to tell my family.

I feel guilty because I finally realized how illegal (from an international standpoint) that conflict was, and how I helped in that conflict. I keep thinking of the hundreds or thousands of people that died because of what I did. I understand that if it wasnt me, it would have been someone else. Even though I didnt pull the trigger, I supplied the ammo. That may seem like bullshit to some, its not to me.

The more I read about the atrocities we commit, the more I feel pain. Really hard to concentrate in class or in general. I just feel lost sometimes. Aware that I cant change the past, but feel guilty about it non the less. I had never thought about what my actions may have contributed to.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Family isnt bound by blood. I dont talk to my mom because I gave her an ultimatum and she broke it. Basically, dont ghost my kids. Be in their life or dont. The last time she was here it was obvious the only reason she visited was because it helped her plans. Out of the blue asking to visit 3 weeks from the date. Doesnt even bother looking at hotels because she assumed she would stay at our place (a 2 bedroom apt with 5 family members and 2 dogs). She guilted us after spending 300 for a hotel to spend the night with us. Oh and she brought her boyfriend. She didnt mention that at ALL during the plan making process. And she was constantly asking about surfing. Not spending time with my kids. Surfing with her boyfriend. We live oceans apart. She wants to be family when its convenient for her. Not when you need support. I said 1 call a month to my kids if she wanted to stay involved and she couldnt even manage that. So now, there is one less thing to worry about. One less person I have to be uncomfortable around because I can't say what I want to say.

Mine wasnt as bad as yours was, though some of your experience mimics mine.

Sever the tie. Some family helps and others are like cancer. People survive cancer, but not by leaving it in.

Changing is about removing yourself from negative situations and moving into mire positive ones. Keep the positive role models in your life. Leave the negative. Like who the gently caress cares if you gave birth to me. You dont loving act like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

bird cooch posted:

So I have been going to VA mental health for a few years now, but it feels like they just aren't hearing me. I have some anxiety issues that are just continuing to get worse over and over and over again. Multiplying and multiplying. And that's why I went into mental health the first place. But they just throw antidepressants at me and then finally some Xanax. This just ends up with me eating Xanax.

I'm getting kind of desperate.
Deployment? nothing.
Coast guard, small boats, bad weather, nothing.
Racing cars and motorcycles, nothing
Sketchy alley confrontations in Cambodia, nothing.

But the grocery store? Terrifying. The movies? Nope. an empty hardware store in the middle of the day? I'm writing this because I've been sitting in the parking lot trying to pump my self up to go in without taking a Xanax first. Or two. Or just going home. I tried yesterday and couldn't do it. I've been here a hundred times.

I tell them this and they might change my antidepressants or schedule me some more therapy where they just want to work through worksheets as if this is some sort of one-size-fits-all problem. I've tried multiple different providers but they just seem to slide right back into the exact same routine.

I'm not depressed. I'm scared. It's exhausting.

I have significant Brain and spine damage but no matter what I do I keep getting buttonholed into PTSD or depression or both. And it's not either. It's brain damage.

Never be afraid to ask to change your medication. I had near constant panic attacks and got them to mellow out with Venlafaxine. Ive tried a lot of stuff but that and pot help me significantly.

The biggest thing was to change my way of thinking. I HATE talking to therapists for personal reasons and kinda had to find my own way. This led me to find ways that worked and didnt work for me. I almost never feel better about talking my problems.

Changing your mindset is difficult, but it really helps. I start by asking what the root of the cause is. Why am I nervous? What is it here that scares me? Sometimes you dont know. The negative thought loop goes forward. Learn to break it. Instead of thinking about the worst outcomes, think about the possible and likely outcomes. Try to focus on logic and restrain your feelings. It is really hard to do but always give yourself a reason to move forward, not an excuse to prevent yourself from doing so. Reward small victories. One foot in front of the other, even if it is a step to the side.

Meditation also really really helped me. I had been doing it wrong forever. However, once I learned the proper way, I learned how effective it is. Meditation is about clearing your mind. What I do is close my eyes and count to 4 with breathing. In 4 and out 4. I count. Every number in my head. In 2 3 4 out 2 3 4. Your mind will wander. Force it to count. In 2 3 4 out 2 3 4. Every time you catch it wandering, remember to count. Eventually, it will stop wandering and you should feel calmer. Hopefully this helps you.

Also PTSD is a type of brain damage. It is not a TBI but there are reasons why depression and PTSD are taken seriously. If you have a physical brain injury, keep going back until you can get an MRI at least.

Most of all, find a reason to love you for you. We treat ourselves differently when we love who we are.

Soulex fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 28, 2019