Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Man I''m fuckin stressing hugely right now, have to find a new flat to live, try to figure out wtf to do with myself, degree or some other bizarro poo poo, I don't even fuckin know, poo poo is overwhelming, honestly I never even had to deal with that crazy deployment poo poo that y 'all had NZ is like a cakewalk unless you're rolling SAS and gently caress that, my only job I ever had was tronic warfare so how the gently caress can I translate that to real life? Everything seems worthless I dn't know how to tell anyone I actually know though.

E] gently caress it's lame but you jerks are the only people I say this dumb poo poo to. gently caress. i didnt even go anywhere.

Lots of people with PTSD and depression never deployed.

I had worse issues from my time state side. Like being physically beat by supervisors and told when trying to report it that "you are committing insubordination".

But adjustment issues are really, really bad and get ignored by just about every country. You are essentially dumped into the civilian world from a very structured environment where critical thinking is essentially a criminal act to where you have to provide for yourself with little support and often inadequate training. Discharging people is like dropping an autistic 6 year old off in the woods with a dull pocket knife and telling them best of luck.

Kids who go to college or spend the first couple years of their life working at McDonalds while living at home before getting married to their first ex at least adjust to real society slower and with safety nets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Soulex posted:

My buddy has PTSD of a training exercise gone wrong involving unsecured Constantine wire and a bad LZ.

This is also really common and not often addressed.

Here is the reality of vets and depression and PTSD: Just because you didn't run over an IED in the middle of an ambush in Bumblefuck Afghanistan/Iraq, it doesn't mean you don't have a real problem that needs real help.

Training accidents, assault/abuse by other service members, ect.. Lots of poo poo happens outside of deployments, see the Fort Hood shooting. Or the other Fort Hood shooting.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Thank you for your honesty. I wish I could know what it's like to go through what you all go through.

No. You don't.

And like Shim said, walk away from this. Make sure you have let someone know that he needs help, but other than that either that train is already derailing and you can't stop poo poo, or he will get set right by a therapist/get a med adjustment and get ahold of you.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

As a side note, I do want to apologize to you guys for saying I wish I knew what you all have been through. That was a stupid thing for me to say. Thank you guys for giving me some perspective on all of this.

Its not something you apologize for. You simply don't understand and saying "hey maybe if I walk a mile in their shoes I'll understand". Which is a reasonable way to look at things.

The problem is, its a disability. Think of it as if he were blind. Yea being blind would help you understand but, A - it wouldn't be particularly helpful and B - you would be blind. Also, putting two mentally ill people together thinking that its going help is like smashing two broken clocks together to make one work.

Understand this guy's brain is broken. He needs healthy people around him giving him the support (coping skills, meds, therapy, purpose, blah blah blah..), he doesn't need to be surrounded by other broken brained people telling him their crazy. Support groups and group therapy are only helpful in 3 ways. They see how broken they are in someone else, they see they aren't the only one who is broken and most importantly there is someone there who is healthy to keep everyone from pooling their crazy. This guy sounds like he probably took a trip with all of his broken brain friends and they pooled their crazy and he has bought in to the dumb rear end ideas they cooked up. He needs professional help and support. Over time they will draw him out of it and either he will realize he made a bad choice and try to repair it, or you did everything you could and it was time to move on.

This is probably a bad analogy and really lovely advice, but then its coming from someone who has many of the same issues your SO does so maybe Im not the best person to listen too.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Unconscious? As in there is still some hope?

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Thats the first step. If she makes it through, then get in touch and that will help.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Check back in through the weekend.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I had about a week at the beginning of the month where even my Ativan script didn't help.

Its been a bad month for a couple friends too, and I probably won't make it through July with out getting that 3 am phone call. Unless its me they are calling each other about. Which frankly, wouldn't be too bad of an option.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

McNally posted:

Today's my wife's birthday. I'm going to be visiting her gravesite with flowers and a small bottle of mead that I made. She really liked it last time I made it.

It's been a rough 20 months, but I'm getting through it. The first six or so were probably the worst.

Do your thing and make a call if you need it. Anyone here will answer.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

If it makes you feel any better I would gladly let you spend the holidays with my gf and her kids while I do anything else that involves not being trapped in this poo poo show.

Literally would rather die, alone, homeless in a loving snow bank after having walked from Florida to where ever its cold enough to have one.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Booger Presley posted:

Edit here

My friends, my sister, my neighbors are eating COVID.

My GFs daughter is a doctor, and she is front-line. She lives with us. She is breaking down mentally and I try to support her, but there is no relevance. How can I help a kid who watches people die every day?

This largely depends on what kind of doc she is and what specifically is causing the break down.

One of the problems health care workers are facing is not the death toll. Its that they see the mortality side of it and either they turn around and see all the idiots in the Republican Party handwaving/disputing/ignoring basic and simple measures, or the actual people they are watching die deny it right up to the point they go comatose. If thats the case, then unfortunately you can't do much other than keep supporting her the best you can and remind her that vaccines are on the way along with a new, more responsible administration.

If its just the mortality that upsets her, then she may need to consider a specialty change or possibly move to research/teaching instead of actual patient care.

If you know her facility, you might want to check with their employee resource or Chaplin services to find out what kind of counseling services they have for staff. Some medical groups have a referral service and they should be able to provide you a list with out you actually telling them the employee's name. There are counseling services geared towards healthcare providers, similar to how there are providers who specialize in combat veterans.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

bird cooch posted:

VA being the VA

Im not sure what your steps up to this point have been, but...

What have you tried to address with the Patient Advocate? Step one is demanding a new provider for at least your therapist. Then replace anyone who wrote you the meds that you are allergic to. I'm not sure how the prosthetics authorizations work, but that sounds like bullshit to.

The local PA doesn't get the job done, go to the regional office. If that fails, senator/rep would be another avenue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

bird cooch posted:

I reported the therapist to my social worker through the spinal injury clinic and they seemed unfazed and offered to schedule me with someone else when I'm ready, but I think I'm going to take some savings and see a normal therapist on the economy for a while. The trust is really broken right now.

Before you spend your own $ check through the PA to see if you can get referred to a community care provider.