Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Not everyone sees close combat first hand; the closest I got to combat was probably 200-300 miles (lol Kuwait) unless you count a few suicide bombings in the general area. That doesn't mean what you deal with isn't legitimate, don't feel bad about being sadbrained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

McNally posted:

I met the woman who got my wife’s heart today. I got to hear my wife’s heartbeat through a stethoscope.

Then I went to a reunion of my high school class. It was nice seeing old friends, some of whom I’ve known since elementary school. Being around people was probably the thing I needed most today.

Now I’m sitting alone in my room thinking about how all of them were there with their boyfriends/girlfriends or husbands/wives.

gently caress this is hard.

:smith:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Wasabi the J posted:

So if a psychiatrist says I a soldier I know have ADHD, is that a medical discharge or???

Probably not unless it's super severe if I had to guess. Plenty of people stay in with depression, anxiety, PTSD, etc. so I dunno why they'd kick you out for ADHD. I had a medical waiver for it from the Army even.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

It’s the year anniversary of my friend committing suicide, get help dudes.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

McNally posted:

It's been two years.

Sorry man. :(

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Mustang posted:

I just drink everyday I get off work, get angry about life in the Army, go to bed and wake up still angry at the Army.

It's Definitely an awful way of dealing with things.

I'm pretty bitter about how my married with kids peers get to use having a family to get off work, avoid weekend taskings, and have your spouse become friends with their bosses spouse so they're less likely to get poo poo on.

Single soldiers just get relentlessly poo poo on.

I've pretty much given up on dating until I get out of the Army because I either have to cancel because I never know when I'm getting off for the day or I'm just flat out too tired to do anything. I used to try to get out of working (at 1700!!!) if I had something planned with a girl but I get something like "you just met her, it can't be that important" and then I do whatever I had to do to make some box on a tracker turn green.

My peers with families on the other hand get days off for anniversaries, kids birthdays and all sorts of bullshit. "My kids sick! Can't come in today even though my spouse stays at home!"

Can't task so and so with this weekend detail! That's taking time away from his family!

The Army is such a crock of poo poo.

:bisonyes: :bisonyes: :bisonyes: :bisonyes:

On one hand I feel bad because you seem like a legit good dude, on the other this is some amazing army schadenfreude. Just think, you’re almost done however and should be free to go do whatever awesome non-Army life.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

M_Gargantua posted:

Some expeditionary medals can also count for combat vet status.

GWOT :colbert:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Do you live near a VA regional office? Mine has offices for a bunch of VSOs and my state's Department of Veterans Affairs (who handled my VA claim).

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Just realized today is the anniversary of one of my friends killing themselves a few years ago. People care, reach out.

https://afsp.org

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

hot sorcery posted:

he has deleted his forums account & discord etc. and also was out of the house and his phone had died so he wasn’t responding to texts and when i tried to call it said the number was unavailable and everything.

get help friends, fifteen minutes of thinking he was dead was more than enough.

:ohdear:

HCT owns and I wish him the best, glad to hear he's OK.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Has anyone heard from HCT? Hasn’t posted in a while AFAIK, I miss his posting & hope he’s well.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

MonkeyWash posted:

Do you have a VSO (Veteran Service Officer) or an attorney to help guide you? The VSO's are free through different organizations like the American Legion and stuff.

ya, I went through a VSO who in my case worked for my state's veteran's department. They had a big office inside the VA regional office even, super easy.

I was expecting like a 0-20% rating and it came back at 40%, not because I'm not truly broke brained/have physical injuries supported by my military medical records but I'd have definitely underreported stuff and probably not been rated properly without the VSO's help. Definitely use a VSO.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Woofer posted:

I’ve been controlling my anger so well for the last couple years. This morning I had an anger outburst. I broke a television and damaged a wall. This is the exact thing I’ve been working on, and I feel like I hosed it all up today. This is who I was when I was in the army. This is not who I want to be in 2020.

I’m such a loving failure.

I’m taking the day off to hang with Monty. He didn’t see any of it and I’m glad.

we all have our bad days, don’t beat yourself up too hard. We can strive to be better tomorrow.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I am for sure not operating at 100% now, maybe 60-75%.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Woofer posted:

This poo poo has got me falling apart at the seems y’all.

I think a lot of us are in the same boat so let’s keep track of each other and check on each other k?

This poo poo sucks, but good call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Bored As gently caress posted:

Oh cool my dad has pancreatic cancer so on top of a year that included me losing a job now I get to watch my dad die, and have to help my mom who's a wreck with RA, fibromyalgia and a million other problems.

gently caress this gay earth.

gently caress this.

gently caress. I went through this with my dad last spring with terminal cancer. I can’t say I have any sage words other than I really appreciated being able to spend as much time together as was possible during that period.