Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
John Campbell is one of the most amazing artists I've ever seen, and pfsc is a beautiful work of art that I will cherish forever and always. I've had the complete pfsc collection here on a hard drive for a couple years now, she sent them out to people at a certain kickstarter level or something, I can't really remember.

As far as what you do with yours, if you give a poo poo about what John Campbell wants, then you would keep it offline and preferably destroy it. If you give a poo poo about what most other people want, then you'd host it online for all to see. I wouldn't worry all that much about being sued by the creator, she is not likely to ever have enough money to sue anyone, or to survive through the next 5 years even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well it's like a George Lucas kinda thing, where there's no way he should be allowed to make the original cut of the first 3 movies unavailable to everyone forever like he wants. The difference is that George Lucas is a billionaire capitalist douchebag so who cares what he wants, whereas John Campbell is almost certainly going to die in abject poverty because of her tragic and uncontrolled mental illness.

There are very few things I feel bad about in this world, but I probably won't ever upload the pfsc archive.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's not like he's got the last remaining archive in the world or something, all the pfsc stuff is still in possession of a lot of people all around the internet aside from myself, and I'm pretty sure people uploaded the archive on 4chan or something as soon as they got it emailed to them back whenever that was.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Really, if you take the whole cultural responsibility angle seriously (not saying you shouldn't), the best thing to do would be to wait and see if you can somehow get in contact with the person that holds the rights to the material. One little letter saying "yah go for it fam" makes any legal and ethical issues vanish instantly.

The creator has been explicitly clear that she doesn't want the comics available anywhere on the internet at all, "yah go for it fam" isn't going to be the response the OP gets. Also I don't know if they can even be contacted at this point anyways.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Morality is not a real thing, it's up to the OP to decide what's right or not. There isn't really any discussion as to whether or not it is ethical, it's pretty clear in the law and what is generally accepted as ethical that there's no real defense for uploading the archive. The fact that the work still exists in many places and is not truly lost is a factor, and now that the OP knows it the ball is really in their court.

• Locked thread