Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elektroboot
Nov 7, 2004

Hi guys, I've never posted here but I have something that I think a lot of people will be interested in.

A few years ago, I think maybe 2012, John Campbell of Pictures for Sad Children auctioned off two of his (her? let's go with their) personal laptops. I bought one of the two, but didn't really spend any time looking through it then because I was in grad school and extremely busy/depressed, and mainly just concerned with helping them pay rent or whatever they needed the money for. I didn't expect it to contain much. Unfortunately right around the time of the whole kickstarter meltdown (mid 2014) was when I was moving a long way from my parents' place, so it sat in storage with them until now. I finally had a chance to look through it and it seems to contain complete archives of the comic, website, a bunch of side projects, pdf versions of both books... plus some personal stuff - photos, music, etc.

I regret sitting on this for so long; I was a huge fan of PFSC and I know that a lot of people miss it. At some point however I remember hearing that John didn't want the comics hosted publicly again. I want to respect that wish, but at the same time I can't bear to see this art lost, it was a special brand of dark and weird and I think especially relatable to people with mental health issues. I'm not aware of any other archive, just this old dead effort that was incomplete anyway, and some scattered individual comics hosted various places.

I have no idea what to do in this situation. There's 300GB worth of stuff on here, not sure yet how much is worthwhile (for example there are some movies and a lot of uncompressed images) but I'm open to the idea of passing some of the contents around, if we don't think that hosting it publicly is ethical. What do you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elektroboot
Nov 7, 2004

Does anyone even know how to get in touch with them anymore? They did a pretty good job of disappearing from the internet. Maybe the guy who finished shipping books for the kickstarter, Max Temkin? I'm not really expecting a different response if I do get in touch, but I guess it's worth a try

• Locked thread