Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

My aunt gave me a scoby for Christmas and I finally got to taste my first batch of booch this weekend. Used candied ginger (my homegrown had gone bad) for the 2nd ferment and it’s amazing. So drat gingery, so drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runchild
May 26, 2010

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I like this a lot! Looks like I'm shoppin' for Ginger.

I like ginger a lot, so extra-gingery was right up my alley. I just bottled my second batch with some fresh ginger last night, so I’ll report on any differences in a couple days.

Also, a reminder to everyone to be careful! The aforementioned aunt had a bottle explode yesterday. Cheap flip-top + forgetting to burp it = boom. Fortunately no one was in the kitchen, but unfortunately she didn’t take pictures.

runchild
May 26, 2010

My fresh ginger did not go as well as my candied ginger. It was much drier and dangerously fizzy - I lost about a third of the total to foam overflow. But the real disappointment was much less ginger heat and flavor. Too many variables to be sure why it all happened, so I want to split a batch between fresh and candied to get a more controlled comparison. But that’ll have to wait, cause right now I’ve got myself a pineapple! Gonna try a tepache while I’m at it, too.

runchild
May 26, 2010

My pineapple kombucha was pretty good but the tepache...did not go well. My attempt at a ginger bug also flopped. Lotsa smelly failures for me these last couple weeks.

I moved on to my experiment comparing fresh and candied ginger, and my findings are twofold:

1) The fresh ginger accelerated fermentation somehow. I opened the first bottles after about 24 hours and got mediocre carbonation on both. 12 hours later the candied was good but the fresh overflowed. It also got drier faster, but that could just be the lack of sugar coating.

2) The candied ginger imparted more flavor in the same amount of time. Combined with the residual sugar levels and more forgiving carbonation schedule, it’s the clear winner for me.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Astonishing Wang posted:

Do you make your own or are you buying the candied ginger somewhere?

I’m working my way through a container I got in the bulk food aisle of my grocery store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runchild
May 26, 2010

Al2001 posted:

Does anyone brew in something like this? (A jar with a tap.) Seems like it would make bottling easier, but maybe there are drawbacks I'm not thinking about.

I don’t personally use one so I can’t speak from experience, but lots of people use a spigot. People often call it a “continuous brew system” or “CB.” Leaving the pellicle and starter in the jar when you bottle doesn’t seem like such a huge difference to me, but it does let you harvest the booch without handling the pellicle, and I guess you can pour it straight from the jar if you don’t mind skipping carbonation. Just make sure the spigot is plastic or stainless steel, other metals can leech and harm the scoby. Also, it might get clogged at some point.

• Locked thread