Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
Ive been doing this for ages and you really cant gently caress it up.

Fermenting at this months room temp 24 - 28C (75 - 82F)

(lightly fizzed green tea Jun/kombucha from earlier today, chilled, not extra carbonated)

I originally got a kombucha scoby and something called a Jun scoby, but they have probably intermingled over time. I still keep the (mostly?)Jun one green tea and the normal one black tea.

The containers above I fill with about 4 litres (1 gallon), usually leave about 1 litre behind (tap level) and just top it up. Every so often I take out the scobys and give them a rinse and clean the containers and start again.

I pour off finished batches after about a week into soda or wine bottles and refrigerate. Occasionally I will put some in beer bottles and cap them, store at room temp for 5 days for more fizz, then refrigerate.

If I have more than I can drink in the fridge I just let the scobys go, they grow away fine, then I remove the top ones, keep the bottom one or two, dump the vinegar (and save some for vinegar...which I just drink anyway), give them a rinse and and start again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jun_(drink)

Jeffrey Dahmer fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

gamingCaffeinator posted:

One of my boyfriend's friends gave me a four-pack of kombucha beer (Elderwand by Unity Vibration) for Christmas and it's piqued my interest. Is there anything I should know to avoid if trying the normal stuff for the first time? I don't intend to do any homemade until I know if I like the non-beer type. Elderwand is loving magic though.

Normal plain kombucha is like a slightly sweet light vinegar with a mild carbonation.

Very little similarity between the kombucha beer you have had and plain normal kombuchas. Elderwand is 8%ABV for example, and they use lacto and brett and/or open ferment it seems, also barrel age their beers.

From the site:

quote:

Our Kombucha Beer is a wonderful evolution of our traditional Kombucha. “Triple Goddess” is a marriage of our 30-day brewed Kombucha, organic dried hops and either organic raw ginger root, organic fresh raspberries, organic peaches, or three types of hops, juniper and grapefruit rind. All aged and open-air-fermented in oak barrels and then bottle conditioned. The combination creates exquisite flavors that have depth and complexity as well as healthy nutrients. Like our organic Kombucha, it is raw, made with organic ingredients, gluten free, vegan and bottle conditioned and lends itself to healthy and beneficial bacteria. Unity Vibration was the first to release an all-kombucha based Kombucha Beer nationally. ALL OF OUR KOMBUCHA BEERS ARE GLUTEN-FREE!
http://www.unityvibrationkombucha.com/kombucha-beer/

Jeffrey Dahmer fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 1, 2018

• Locked thread