Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
wesley clark would have won

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
not only did he tell kerry that story years earlier, but he also told kerry years earlier that he was the first one he ever told that story to

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Fidel Castronaut posted:

He was upsetting the neoliberal arm of the democratic party, which is to say the whole democratic party, so he had to go and that was the best they had. They tried to make hay out of the fact that his son got a DUI or something while Dean was running but people didn't give a poo poo.

dean didn't "upset the neoliberal arm of the democratic party." he was one of them. dean was actually a conservative governor who played progressive by backing singlepayer and making GBS threads on the war in iraq more than everyone else, but as a governor he pretty firmly occupied the center.

quote:

Conservative Vermont business leaders praise Dean's record and his unceasing efforts to balance the budget, even though Vermont is the only state where a balanced budget is not constitutionally required. Moreover, they argue that the two most liberal policies adopted during Dean's tenure -- the "civil unions" law and a radical revamping of public school financing -- were instigated by Vermont's ultraliberal Supreme Court rather than Dean. "He was not a left-wing wacko," says Bill Stenger, a Republican and president of Jay Peak Resort, who says he supported Dean because of his "fiscally responsible, socially conscious policies."

Business leaders were especially impressed with the way Dean went to bat for them if they got snarled in the state's stringent environmental regulations. When Canada's Husky Injection Molding Systems Ltd. wanted to build a new manufacturing plant on 700 acres of Vermont farmland in the mid-'90s, for instance, Dean greased the wheels. Husky obtained the necessary permits in near-record time. "He was very hands-on," says an appreciative Dirk Schlimm, the Husky executive in charge of the project.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2003-08-10/whos-the-real-howard-dean

quote:

As governor, Dean preserved hundreds of thousands of acres of forests and lakes and mountains that had come under intense development pressure, passed a landmark health insurance program for children, insisted on pumping money into town centers rather than into sprawling suburbs and signed a bill that allowed gay couples to enter into civil unions.

At the same time, the former doctor resisted raising income taxes, vetoed some social spending for the elderly, and showered tens of millions of dollars in controversial tax breaks to attract businesses to Vermont, although most of the company officials acknowledged they would have relocated or expanded without subsidies. Dean poured relatively little money into state colleges and the university, where tuition costs are the highest in the nation.

"I'm a fiscal conservative, and I believe in social justice," Dean said in a recent interview. "I'm most proud of our fiscal stability -- I left the state in better shape than I found it."

"Gov. Snelling had the courage to raise taxes," Dean said at the time. "I have the courage to cut spending."

Dean, over the objections of liberals, let Snelling's income tax increase sunset in 1994. He also vetoed several social welfare spending bills. He was, always, the embattled man of the middle. "He was very artful," said Elizabeth Ready, the state auditor and a liberal former state representative. "He was always saying: 'You've got your nuts on the left, your nuts on the right, and you've got me.' "

http://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/Dean-not-as-liberal-as-he-seems-Vermont-s-fiery-2562919.php

• Locked thread