Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

I’ve made a GroupMe group if anyone wants to meet up for the wristband line on Friday. I’ll probably get there pretty early (noonish) and having a large group would make leaving and actually enjoying the day a lot more feasible.

https://app.groupme.com/join_group/32320385/aDMsfC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Anyone know how to get on the wired list?

ElmerTheWasabi
Dec 3, 2004
Anyone have experience with Sunday Hall H panels? My sister and niece want to go for probably Supernatural and Doctor Who. Does the Hall actually fill up on Sunday that they'd need wrist bands?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

ElmerTheWasabi posted:

Anyone have experience with Sunday Hall H panels? My sister and niece want to go for probably Supernatural and Doctor Who. Does the Hall actually fill up on Sunday that they'd need wrist bands?

My wife has done the Supernatural panel for the past 3ish years. She's usually there around 8/8:30ish. Never needed a wrist band, never had problems getting in, nor never even come close to having problems. Obviously you want to show up a little early for each panel but I also don't think you'll need to camp out overnight or even camp the room for the panels between.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

the best day of comic con is still worse than the worst day of podunkcon keep in mind

ElmerTheWasabi
Dec 3, 2004

RevKrule posted:

My wife has done the Supernatural panel for the past 3ish years. She's usually there around 8/8:30ish. Never needed a wrist band, never had problems getting in, nor never even come close to having problems. Obviously you want to show up a little early for each panel but I also don't think you'll need to camp out overnight or even camp the room for the panels between.

That's good to hear. Thanks!

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Have to bail on con this year. My husband needed surgery this week and while he's insisting I still go, I don't feel comfortable with that (esp. as I'll be riding the train and not able to rush back on a moment's notice). I would be OK with this except for the Twin Peaks panel, which I was really hoping to see. And there's my nonrefundable hotel, and my MST3K tickets I won't be able to use. FML.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I imagine you can sell the hotel pretty quick

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

"The will always be someone with a better seat and camera than you itching to throw the video up on youtube the second the panel ends." Is what I tell myself for every major panel I miss. While it's nice being in the room, if you're just interested in what they say, that's easily taken care of. Like Alan Smithee said, the hotel is easy to get rid of and you can probably get your full deposit back (and then some if you really want). The mst3k ticket might be a littler harder but still not impossible.

Con's good and fun but it's not the most important thing, nor should it be. It sucks but if you aren't comfortable leaving your husband (and that's a decision only you can make), it's all you can do. Money's just money (and again, I think with even the littlest bit of effort, you can recoup everything).

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

That's a tough call but I'd do the same.

I agree you can get rid of any of your stuff for full cost to at least avoid the money hit. I can hook you up with buyers if you want to as my wife (she's been going for decades) has a huge fb list we've used to sort out last minute cancellations before. The tickets would be easy but not sure about the hotel. I'm betting they wouldn't care about last minute switching the name as long as someone pays the bill though.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Does anyone happen to have room for weds? My hotel starts thurs but I might head down early

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Think I've sorted out the hotel. But I have two tickets to the Friday 7 pm MST3K live event at the Balboa Theater. Balcony F, Seats 103 and 104. I'll sell the pair for $50, which is below what I paid for them ($36 each).

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
This is the least prepared for con I've ever been.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ain't gonna lie. It feels so skippable this year

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:
Was thinking that as well. Getting ready for preview night, and I just finally looked at the schedule. Seems like business as usual for me and brother. Thursday is slow, Friday is Indigo Ballroom all day, and Saturday and Sunday are our usuals (Cartoon Voices, Quick Draw, etc.). We usually don't brave much else than that, but even if that weren't the case, there doesn't appear to be anything we're even tempted by.

Maybe I'll check out the pinball setup below the anime rooms.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Hell even hall H if you gave me a fast pass I don't even know what I'd use it for

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I'm a SD native and I have a pass for tomorrow and I have literally no idea what I am going to do. I am seriously considering going a 90 minute "law of comic books" thing for CLE credit because why not

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

They literally changed badge pickup rules 30 minutes before I was gonna grab my bag and poo poo. Then I found the hello kitty people handing out lanyards out back and realized I don't need a loving oversized bullshit bag with a one sheet on it.

Gonna do the Conan line game tomorrow but yeah, I feel like I'm going through the motions at this point and not much else. I have some art pickups but otherwise, it all kinda is...meh. So few panels of actual worth.

If there's one thing I suggest, this might be your last chance to catch Rep John Lewis at SDCC. He's gonna be at a panel on Saturday at 10 AM. Do yourself a favor and go. It'll be a nice change of pace from watching super extended commercials for 2 days prior. (Trying not to be preachy, it's a really good panel and Lewis is very much an entertaining and quick witted gentleman).

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

Had a hard time figuring out where to pick up lanyard/bag. Went to C, redirected to G, redirected to E, and then went back to C. Usually don't have an issue, but it wasn't very clear to me this year where I was supposed to go.

E: this was at 5:45pm, 15 minutes before preview night floor opened.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

By the time I got there they were out of lanyards

How the gently caress you run out of lanyards

deetron69
Jan 18, 2005
there was an old dude from chicago selling old movie posters for 5 bucks somewhere kinda near the entrance. He's super nice and his posters are rad

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Heh

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Alan Smithee posted:

By the time I got there they were out of lanyards

How the gently caress you run out of lanyards

Yeah, I was gonna say- I'm an exhibitor AND a panel/industry guest, so I get tons of badges and we weren't given any lanyards with any of them. I was sent to a million places before I just ended up going to some "talent" registration booth and asked them if they could get me some, which they begrudgingly did!

Separate question- I want to get a Bandai exclusive this year- I used to be able to just easily buy them on the show floor- but now they sell everything via the "get a wristband at the sails pavilion" type poo poo. I've never honestly done that before. How does that work? I know I probably need to wake up real early for whatever it is, but how early can I park at the convention center or get into that area? I wasn't sure where to go.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Rocco posted:

Yeah, I was gonna say- I'm an exhibitor AND a panel/industry guest, so I get tons of badges and we weren't given any lanyards with any of them. I was sent to a million places before I just ended up going to some "talent" registration booth and asked them if they could get me some, which they begrudgingly did!

Separate question- I want to get a Bandai exclusive this year- I used to be able to just easily buy them on the show floor- but now they sell everything via the "get a wristband at the sails pavilion" type poo poo. I've never honestly done that before. How does that work? I know I probably need to wake up real early for whatever it is, but how early can I park at the convention center or get into that area? I wasn't sure where to go.

I think convention center parking opens at 6, maybe earlier but definitely 6. From there, I think you need the everything else line because I didn't see a specific line around the back for Bandai. Then it's waiting until they actually let you in the convention center and going to Sails.

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

Hmm, maybe it wasn't coincidence that they gave me everything but a lanyard when I picked up my bag at 6:00, while my brother got one. I went back right away to ask for one and got it, but maybe they were trying to ration them out at that point or something.

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

Huh, no Kevin Smith Hall H panel this year...

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Lol fire marshal

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Lol. It's an hour to get your lanyards and bags right now.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Anyone willing to ship something back to Canada? Scott Campbell has some beautiful prints for sale.

Both #2643

The Maleficent is what i'd be after.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 20, 2017

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

Anyone willing to ship something back to Canada? Scott Campbell has some beautiful prints for sale.

Both #2643

The Maleficent is what i'd be after.

Is there a way to pay across nafta without incurring fees

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:3:

I'd cover cost of the thing and shipping to here. Wouldn't be much. PM if interested. Posters don't get dinged for stuff.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Adult swim green shirt designs

Who am I kidding you want the RICK and morty

(It's the brain one)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Eric Andre all day everyday.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Apparently the green is doing things differently this year. No ticket redemption. Just win the booth. Most of it is generic carnival plushies tho

You still get to listen to this loving goon from hotlanta prattle on endlessly

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ok I lied there's cool poo poo

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Alan Smithee posted:

Apparently the green is doing things differently this year. No ticket redemption. Just win the booth. Most of it is generic carnival plushies tho

You still get to listen to this loving goon from hotlanta prattle on endlessly

The games were also generic carnival games instead of the weird hosed up Adult Swim-ified things they've had in years past. It was kinda weird.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Best prize is the intergalactic space junk at the machine gun. Easiest prize that's still cool is the poster at the balloon darts. Hardest is the clown balloon thing unless you know that poo poo. I'd like the poopy buthhole blanket but eh, I'm not winning that anytime soon

You can only do some of these once or twice too

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

Indigo Ballroom is doing bag checks. This may take a while.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Offer no longer on the table

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Ecoin is the best. Free food at a bunch of great places. You can basically do 4 meals for free plus red wheelbarrow doesn't count. You don't even need to get a physical card, you can sign up at e-coin.com and if you do multiple email address, you get 20 coins per account.

• Locked thread