Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

XOIC of Radishes posted:

Got first choice again. Nothing much else to add, really. Here's a 100+ page thread for Hotelpocalypse 2017 if you're interested: http://www.friendsofcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=7158.0

Lot of paranoia, anxiety, and theory-crafting in there, though, so beware.:tinfoil:

You make it sound like a tumblr

Friends of cc is a good starting point but you will have to watch it like a hawk. Any offering to sell a waterfront room is like being a slave leia at a Hutt convention

I made this same post last year gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarnet
Jan 7, 2007

Yeah I netted first choice for the first time ever. Hilton Bayfront, my family is stoked, but I think the omni or marriott actually would have been a better choice. If they want to do the hall h shittery I think the marriott is technically closer now the way they do the lines, and closer to foodstuffs, but I can't really see myself complaining while I'm there :v:

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Hilton Bayfront is the closest you can get to all morning lines.

I'm curious what time people got in to fill out the form (or approximately). Trying to come up with some kind of rule of thumb for future years.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Compared to how twitter was moving, I thought I got in quick. Still no email.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
So if you didn't get an email yesterday, you didn't get a hotel? We've always done earlybird registration, but decided to do the hotel freeforall this year.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

NerdHQ is not returning this year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exwl76eVr3g

My guess is that they got location hosed. They've had to progressively get further and further away the past couple years and I figure places are charging higher and higher hilariously greedy rates. There've been a couple of events that used to occur and had the same thing happen (forced to further and further locations until they didn't return) and I think even the star power of NerdHQ couldn't save it because it's still a mostly charity event (which means less money to bring to the table).

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Yeah, I'm guessing they lost either location (I really didn't care for the Children's Museum location - Petco Park was the best year) or sponsor. It's quite a shame; I've gone to Nerd HQ every year but one since the very beginning. Hopefully they can bring it back next year.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

No Nerdist podcast or Hardwick standup this year.
https://www.facebook.com/hardwick/videos/10155386536488000/

I'm not a huge Hardwick fan but it's a continuation of the loss of offsites and events this year.
(Something will replace it, there's MST3k taking place when the podcast should've but it's long running tradition being replaced with one time thing).

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

hot drat nobody mentioned Trade Pro reg opening up.

DOes anyone know if the additional guest badge is free? I still need to get the member ID from a friend but the cost listed was the same, don't know if it increases after you input the info

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:
My badge came in today. Super neat thing they did this year.

Spoiler: https://twitter.com/Shogun_Shin/status/869609193254334465

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Man that is... a lot of package

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

We're a month out and there's been a lot of not much information other than a lot of cancelations of offsites and such but is anyone else getting the feeling this year's gonna be bleh to meh at this point? Or are people just being privately hyped? Usually this thread is a lot longer than it is by now with a lot more information about stuff.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I've been preoccupied with other stuff and am really trying to make this year's con more about business (I'm creative pro) than pleasure.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I like to keep reminding myself I'm not aware of the best stuff until I'm actually there and walking around, but it does seem a lot lighter this year. With NerdHQ being cancelled I wonder if Microsoft is going to go back to doing the Xbox stuff in the hotels, or if they're only going to be on the show floor. I hope the former, the gaming area of the floor has always been particularly terrible but since they've begun running tournaments there in recent years it's a total no man's land for mobility.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Someone I know said cosplay weapons aren't allowed so uh there's that

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I've been pretty distracted myself lately. I think the lack of posts in this thread is due to people just not having tickets.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
FINALLY got my e-mail about the badge being mailed out. Was getting a bit concerned there.

No Nerd HQ has really dampened some of my interest this year. The adrenaline rush of getting panels tickets always kept things lively. This year I'm going to not get worked up until the actual schedule comes out.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

They posted exhibitor hall lists today (artist alley, small press etc).
Exhibit Hall: https://www.comic-con.org/cci/2017/exhibitors

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Conan ticket information should've gone out. Same deal as last year (need a code). I'm sure it's already been pushed through reddit at this point but I'm not gonna put it here.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
gently caress, I think I'm too late. Hope I get past the waitlist

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Dr Tran posted:

gently caress, I think I'm too late. Hope I get past the waitlist

No. They keep it open all day then lottery for winners iirc. You're still in the running I think.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Badges arrived. Does that packaging seem a bit wasteful to anyone else? I can't help wondering what budget that came out of.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Hijinks Ensue posted:

Badges arrived. Does that packaging seem a bit wasteful to anyone else? I can't help wondering what budget that came out of.

Scientologist.txt

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Good luck:

https://twitter.com/Comic_Con/status/879470688880521220

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Solved in like 20 minutes.

Not that I need tickets but I really should get my puzzle skills up, these seem like really interesting teasers.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
No sign of xbox at the Hyatt this year, but Nintendo is back at the Marriott

https://www.comic-con.org/toucan/08-comic-con-2017-program-and-event-locations

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
My buddy had to pare his schedule back, so I've got a ticket for the MST3K Live off-site on Friday that I'm selling. Let me know if you're interested. I've also got tickets for the LA event on 9/23 to sell.

Slothass
Mar 6, 2004
Anybody seen a list of the parties going on during Comic-Con? Even the private ones. In years past you could see a list of them all by now.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Just found out that there'll be a Twin Peaks panel in Hall H on Friday.

I haven't gone for Hall H for the last couple years. How does this wristband system work? Trying to maximize my chances of getting in on Friday as I'm in love with the new Twin Peaks.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Hijinks Ensue posted:

Just found out that there'll be a Twin Peaks panel in Hall H on Friday.

I haven't gone for Hall H for the last couple years. How does this wristband system work? Trying to maximize my chances of getting in on Friday as I'm in love with the new Twin Peaks.

IIRC, 75% of the room is banded and they start handing out bands the night before. You can get out of line once you have a band but if you don't have someone in your party holding your spot, I believe you go to the back of all banded people (not your just A/B/C/D group). But, a band ensures a seat for the first panel of the day. Last year for the most part, only suckers got bands because there wasn't gently caress all going on in Hall H.

In other news, for the first time in 44 years, Mile High Comics will have no presence at SDCC. I guess they got hosed to high heaven last year at the docks and CCI basically told them to shove it up their rear end and ignored them so Chuck just said "gently caress it, we out." Not that comics have been the focus of the show in decades but still another long term thing that won't be at this years show.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
So basically, as long as I have a band for Friday, I can get in? I just won't get as good a seat as I would if I stayed in line? If so, I'm cool. I don't care where I sit as long as I'm there.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Hijinks Ensue posted:

So basically, as long as I have a band for Friday, I can get in? I just won't get as good a seat as I would if I stayed in line? If so, I'm cool. I don't care where I sit as long as I'm there.

I believe this is the case, but you need to be in line by like 7 or 8 or something i believe. I would expect early next week they'll announce the band system again. Today should start programming releases.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Programming schedules are rolling in.
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't SA have a thread, once upon a time, where goons were willing to buy you stuff at SDCC and ship it out to you? Because there's a "Locke and Key" I desperately need and I'm not sure if my pal is going this year.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Maybe 10 years ago. But this thread is so slow it's your best bet.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

RevKrule posted:

I believe this is the case, but you need to be in line by like 7 or 8 or something i believe. I would expect early next week they'll announce the band system again. Today should start programming releases.

Gonna quote myself here but I was pretty correct on the band situation:
https://www.comic-con.org/toucan/22-hall-h-and-plaza-park-lines-toucan-tracker-wristbands

Bands start getting passed out the night before (anywhere from 7:30 to 9:00, check the link) and you can either leave a crew member or return the next morning. In both cases, you need to be back by 7:30. New this year, you can only hold 5 spots at a time (like this is gonna get enforced by anyone).

foxatee posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't SA have a thread, once upon a time, where goons were willing to buy you stuff at SDCC and ship it out to you? Because there's a "Locke and Key" I desperately need and I'm not sure if my pal is going this year.

I may (emphasis on may) be able to help you out. Chances are high I'll be by IDW at some point next weekend. Feel free to email me (rallyv@gmail.com) to make arrangements but if you find someone more solid to pick it up, go with them.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Hmm, what's everyone's past experience been with the wrist bands? I have several off site evening events which take place during the times the banding starts. Any chance they would still have bands about two hours after they start?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Teek posted:

Hmm, what's everyone's past experience been with the wrist bands? I have several off site evening events which take place during the times the banding starts. Any chance they would still have bands about two hours after they start?

Star Wars isn't in the card this year so most likely yes. Best thing to do is to check on the line once the day before and then again when the hall closes (7:00 pm i believe?). If it's ultra long (down to seaport village/back of the Hyatt), you may want to jump in and wait. If it's not too bad, it won't get much worse until the next morning.

I think most days last year (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong), they were still passing out bands at 7:30. The only time I remember them seriously running out of bands the night before was a couple years ago w/Star Wars.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

RevKrule posted:

Star Wars isn't in the card this year so most likely yes. Best thing to do is to check on the line once the day before and then again when the hall closes (7:00 pm i believe?). If it's ultra long (down to seaport village/back of the Hyatt), you may want to jump in and wait. If it's not too bad, it won't get much worse until the next morning.

I think most days last year (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong), they were still passing out bands at 7:30. The only time I remember them seriously running out of bands the night before was a couple years ago w/Star Wars.

How early do people get in line for the wristbands? The Saturday bands aren’t getting distributed until 8:30pm. Should I be there hours earlier? I’d like to see the Outlander panel but it ends at 7:30pm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Delzuma posted:

How early do people get in line for the wristbands? The Saturday bands aren’t getting distributed until 8:30pm. Should I be there hours earlier? I’d like to see the Outlander panel but it ends at 7:30pm

I think you're fine at 7:30, these past few years you can just walk in most days and on some days (usually Sundays) don't even run out of bands. But, like I said, try and scope how the line is piling up through the day. In fact, this twitter account usually provides updates on the Hall H lines so you don't even have to leave your location. https://twitter.com/HallHLine

• Locked thread