Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Erev posted:

That time of year again huh? Last year was my first ComicCon - does Pre-Registration work the same as Open Registration with the groups? And if so does anyone want to set something up?

For the past few year, yes, pre-reg works just like open reg just with a smaller group of people (but still more people than tickets). I'd team up if I didn't already have a 3 pack. However, teaming up is always a good idea and depending on what happens as we get closer we might still be up for pairing up with someone.

After last year, my excitement level has gone way down. Had great luck but it ended up being a lovely year that was too hot and too crowded and fewer and fewer things and people I wanted to do or see. It's become such a bullshit manufactured press junket for Hollywood at this point, it's not as fun. I hate being that guy but they've chipped away at the really fun interactive stuff and replaced it with selfie "experiences." Hell, almost no big panel in Hall H anymore that even allows questions anymore. Everyone's so loving greedy for free poo poo that the quality has declined precipitously because they know everyone will still mob for it.

Now, I don't want to detract from anyone else's fun. This is 100% my experience and feelings. I go to SDCC for things that are obviously on a down trend. That doesn't mean someone else, especially someone going for the first few times, isn't going to have a loving blast. It's just after almost 10 years, I've run out of books to be signed, things to buy and people to meet. I still go, I still have fun, but it's not the magic it once was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

March 11 is the date.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

This is totally my fear too. We had a real off year last year but we're still going this year because it feels like you'll always need the extra chances at this point if you ever want to go.

We got in after preview night sold out and I'm kinda happy about that. Now I can catch like the w00tstout release or some thing else on preview night.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Hijinks Ensue posted:

Anyone going to Wondercon this year? No panels I'm that interested in, but I'll be on the vendor floor, mostly in the small press area, networking for my editing business.

I am literally moving to the area of Wondercon the weekend of Wondercon so while I won't be going this year, I will almost certainly be going next year.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Dr Tran posted:

This is for wondercon?

I assume SDCC (possibly WC since they're the same company) since pro-reg is closing this week or starting or closing and starting at the same time. CCI tweeted something about pro-reg this morning and this probably has to do with that.

Dr Tran posted:

Gets moved back to LA

I'm going to Pasadena so either is a bit of a voyage but neither would require serious travel (or more than an hour car ride) so as long as they don't go back up to SF again, I'm happy (or will be next year).

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 21, 2017

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Parking lottery registration is open. The rules are the same as last year it looks like, enter all your emails and hope for the best.

https://www.aceparking.com/comic-con/

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Trying to get preview night so my today's gonna go fast either way.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I felt kinda bad last year because I only went into the convention center on Saturday for 10 minutes to buy a shirt and I was the only person in my party to even enter that day. I don't feel too bad but it was Saturday. We spent the rest of the day at outside unpaid activities.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

XOIC of Radishes posted:

Lotto waiting room...Edit: Apparently isn't new? I don't remember it from last year, odd.

Yeah, they did lotto last year for the first time. Sounds like it worked well enough but still didn't work at all iirc.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm assuming this is for primo waterfront stringer Bell hotels right

Anything within walking distance...and shuttle distance.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I got a friend who hooked me up w/a downtown hotel earlier but I at least went through the process this morning. I got in at 9:05 and I'm curious if that would be good w/the new system or not. Is there any rule of thumb on this? I remember last year was kind of a shitshow being the first year of waiting room but I would assume it's a little smoother this year.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I got 2 of 4 emails with nothing. Didn't get anything on the other two and at this point, I'm considering them a loss. Also would appreciate some parking help if someone has extras.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

So did no one get anything in Hotelpacalypse?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Hilton Bayfront is the closest you can get to all morning lines.

I'm curious what time people got in to fill out the form (or approximately). Trying to come up with some kind of rule of thumb for future years.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

NerdHQ is not returning this year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exwl76eVr3g

My guess is that they got location hosed. They've had to progressively get further and further away the past couple years and I figure places are charging higher and higher hilariously greedy rates. There've been a couple of events that used to occur and had the same thing happen (forced to further and further locations until they didn't return) and I think even the star power of NerdHQ couldn't save it because it's still a mostly charity event (which means less money to bring to the table).

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

No Nerdist podcast or Hardwick standup this year.
https://www.facebook.com/hardwick/videos/10155386536488000/

I'm not a huge Hardwick fan but it's a continuation of the loss of offsites and events this year.
(Something will replace it, there's MST3k taking place when the podcast should've but it's long running tradition being replaced with one time thing).

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

We're a month out and there's been a lot of not much information other than a lot of cancelations of offsites and such but is anyone else getting the feeling this year's gonna be bleh to meh at this point? Or are people just being privately hyped? Usually this thread is a lot longer than it is by now with a lot more information about stuff.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

They posted exhibitor hall lists today (artist alley, small press etc).
Exhibit Hall: https://www.comic-con.org/cci/2017/exhibitors

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Conan ticket information should've gone out. Same deal as last year (need a code). I'm sure it's already been pushed through reddit at this point but I'm not gonna put it here.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Dr Tran posted:

gently caress, I think I'm too late. Hope I get past the waitlist

No. They keep it open all day then lottery for winners iirc. You're still in the running I think.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Solved in like 20 minutes.

Not that I need tickets but I really should get my puzzle skills up, these seem like really interesting teasers.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Hijinks Ensue posted:

Just found out that there'll be a Twin Peaks panel in Hall H on Friday.

I haven't gone for Hall H for the last couple years. How does this wristband system work? Trying to maximize my chances of getting in on Friday as I'm in love with the new Twin Peaks.

IIRC, 75% of the room is banded and they start handing out bands the night before. You can get out of line once you have a band but if you don't have someone in your party holding your spot, I believe you go to the back of all banded people (not your just A/B/C/D group). But, a band ensures a seat for the first panel of the day. Last year for the most part, only suckers got bands because there wasn't gently caress all going on in Hall H.

In other news, for the first time in 44 years, Mile High Comics will have no presence at SDCC. I guess they got hosed to high heaven last year at the docks and CCI basically told them to shove it up their rear end and ignored them so Chuck just said "gently caress it, we out." Not that comics have been the focus of the show in decades but still another long term thing that won't be at this years show.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Hijinks Ensue posted:

So basically, as long as I have a band for Friday, I can get in? I just won't get as good a seat as I would if I stayed in line? If so, I'm cool. I don't care where I sit as long as I'm there.

I believe this is the case, but you need to be in line by like 7 or 8 or something i believe. I would expect early next week they'll announce the band system again. Today should start programming releases.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Programming schedules are rolling in.
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

RevKrule posted:

I believe this is the case, but you need to be in line by like 7 or 8 or something i believe. I would expect early next week they'll announce the band system again. Today should start programming releases.

Gonna quote myself here but I was pretty correct on the band situation:
https://www.comic-con.org/toucan/22-hall-h-and-plaza-park-lines-toucan-tracker-wristbands

Bands start getting passed out the night before (anywhere from 7:30 to 9:00, check the link) and you can either leave a crew member or return the next morning. In both cases, you need to be back by 7:30. New this year, you can only hold 5 spots at a time (like this is gonna get enforced by anyone).

foxatee posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't SA have a thread, once upon a time, where goons were willing to buy you stuff at SDCC and ship it out to you? Because there's a "Locke and Key" I desperately need and I'm not sure if my pal is going this year.

I may (emphasis on may) be able to help you out. Chances are high I'll be by IDW at some point next weekend. Feel free to email me (rallyv@gmail.com) to make arrangements but if you find someone more solid to pick it up, go with them.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Teek posted:

Hmm, what's everyone's past experience been with the wrist bands? I have several off site evening events which take place during the times the banding starts. Any chance they would still have bands about two hours after they start?

Star Wars isn't in the card this year so most likely yes. Best thing to do is to check on the line once the day before and then again when the hall closes (7:00 pm i believe?). If it's ultra long (down to seaport village/back of the Hyatt), you may want to jump in and wait. If it's not too bad, it won't get much worse until the next morning.

I think most days last year (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong), they were still passing out bands at 7:30. The only time I remember them seriously running out of bands the night before was a couple years ago w/Star Wars.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Delzuma posted:

How early do people get in line for the wristbands? The Saturday bands aren’t getting distributed until 8:30pm. Should I be there hours earlier? I’d like to see the Outlander panel but it ends at 7:30pm

I think you're fine at 7:30, these past few years you can just walk in most days and on some days (usually Sundays) don't even run out of bands. But, like I said, try and scope how the line is piling up through the day. In fact, this twitter account usually provides updates on the Hall H lines so you don't even have to leave your location. https://twitter.com/HallHLine

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

ElmerTheWasabi posted:

Anyone have experience with Sunday Hall H panels? My sister and niece want to go for probably Supernatural and Doctor Who. Does the Hall actually fill up on Sunday that they'd need wrist bands?

My wife has done the Supernatural panel for the past 3ish years. She's usually there around 8/8:30ish. Never needed a wrist band, never had problems getting in, nor never even come close to having problems. Obviously you want to show up a little early for each panel but I also don't think you'll need to camp out overnight or even camp the room for the panels between.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

"The will always be someone with a better seat and camera than you itching to throw the video up on youtube the second the panel ends." Is what I tell myself for every major panel I miss. While it's nice being in the room, if you're just interested in what they say, that's easily taken care of. Like Alan Smithee said, the hotel is easy to get rid of and you can probably get your full deposit back (and then some if you really want). The mst3k ticket might be a littler harder but still not impossible.

Con's good and fun but it's not the most important thing, nor should it be. It sucks but if you aren't comfortable leaving your husband (and that's a decision only you can make), it's all you can do. Money's just money (and again, I think with even the littlest bit of effort, you can recoup everything).

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

They literally changed badge pickup rules 30 minutes before I was gonna grab my bag and poo poo. Then I found the hello kitty people handing out lanyards out back and realized I don't need a loving oversized bullshit bag with a one sheet on it.

Gonna do the Conan line game tomorrow but yeah, I feel like I'm going through the motions at this point and not much else. I have some art pickups but otherwise, it all kinda is...meh. So few panels of actual worth.

If there's one thing I suggest, this might be your last chance to catch Rep John Lewis at SDCC. He's gonna be at a panel on Saturday at 10 AM. Do yourself a favor and go. It'll be a nice change of pace from watching super extended commercials for 2 days prior. (Trying not to be preachy, it's a really good panel and Lewis is very much an entertaining and quick witted gentleman).

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Rocco posted:

Yeah, I was gonna say- I'm an exhibitor AND a panel/industry guest, so I get tons of badges and we weren't given any lanyards with any of them. I was sent to a million places before I just ended up going to some "talent" registration booth and asked them if they could get me some, which they begrudgingly did!

Separate question- I want to get a Bandai exclusive this year- I used to be able to just easily buy them on the show floor- but now they sell everything via the "get a wristband at the sails pavilion" type poo poo. I've never honestly done that before. How does that work? I know I probably need to wake up real early for whatever it is, but how early can I park at the convention center or get into that area? I wasn't sure where to go.

I think convention center parking opens at 6, maybe earlier but definitely 6. From there, I think you need the everything else line because I didn't see a specific line around the back for Bandai. Then it's waiting until they actually let you in the convention center and going to Sails.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Lol. It's an hour to get your lanyards and bags right now.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Ecoin is the best. Free food at a bunch of great places. You can basically do 4 meals for free plus red wheelbarrow doesn't count. You don't even need to get a physical card, you can sign up at e-coin.com and if you do multiple email address, you get 20 coins per account.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Wazzit posted:

Does anyone know if the Blade Runner 2049 experience outside of the convention needs a pass to gain entry or is it open to the public? Didn't luck out on snagging a badge this year (after 8 years straight :negative:), SD isn't that far of a drive, thinking about driving out to at least check out the stuff outside the con. The footage coming out of the Blade Runner thing looks really neat.

e: Found an article, no badge required but I'm sure it's a 2 or 3 hour wait.

It's a 2-3 hour wait if you want the VR. If you want the experience it's maybe an hour. I did just the experience part today and it was really awesome. They did an incredible job of getting people who made the place feel alive. You get basically a couple shots of Johnny Walker at the end as well as some udon. They also have a fun vending machine for a really decent shirt.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

If anyone's doing that super early hall thing tomorrow and happens to be going to UCC, I'd love to get a Kuchi Kopi. I can meet up and pay back cash.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

Some people waiting before 5am to get into westworld experience and didn't get in

"We spent a ton of money to develop this exhibit with an agency so 10 people who already watch the show can do this because they forgoes a hotel and Slept in the street

You can't see me but I'm jacking an air dick off til it's raw

loving comic con

Westworld was only letting in 120 people a day. It's in-loving-sane how few that is in comparison to how much they hyped it. gently caress HBO for that. I don't give a poo poo how "immersive" it is, Blade Runner was almost as immersive and let in thousands a day.

Anyway, I saw Atomic Blonde tonight and Charlize Theron stopped by to say hi to the group so that was awesome as gently caress. Plus the pre-party had food and strong rear end drinks. I palmed two as they rushed us through line and got another two so that was nifty as gently caress too. lovely con but great con experiences this year so far oddly.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

How was the movie

There was a lot more twists and turns and some of the characters I didn't understand their motives (other than "spy" and "general rear end in a top hat") but it was entertaining and there's a lot of rear end kicking. It's less straight forward than John Wick so realize that going in if that's how you were being sold on the film. Also the soundtrack is loving amazing. (We got cassette copies of the soundtrack at the happy hour pre-party which is awesome...except I have no way to play it).

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I also have 6 pairs of Atomic Blonde sunglasses. People kept handing us that poo poo.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Holy poo poo. Standing in line for Starbucks right now feels like I'm waiting in line at the worst Greyhound station ever. I literally just saw someone change their loving baby on the floor and inside gate E and have heard no less than 3 screaming and unattended children. Also the person behind me is giving zero personal space and has run into me with their stroller every time we move.

Also what's up with the awful air-conditioning this year? I thought the new AC was supposed to make this better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

This year was pretty ok for me. We didn't do much at all actually in the convention center. I ended up doing a lot more offsites than usual. Had a blast in most of them, some were meh. Between Blade Runner and Atomic Blonde and few others, I got a lot of alcohol. Got third row next to the band for Conan on Thursday and that was fun as all hell (per every year). Like I said before Atomic Blonde was insanely fun and I got too much free poo poo from that (assloads of sunglasses, an amazing cassette of the soundtrack, a blonde wig, all kinds of loaded). There was sooooo much free loving food too, I think I paid for like 2 meals all con. The tech lounge in the Omni was awesome. They had a loving nap room in there that was amazing! It was like the Meatwad dome in the Adult Swim on the Green (holy gently caress have they gotten their money's worth for that) but they were showing all kinds of other stuff including some amazing psychedelics and they had super comfy bean bag chairs. When I was there Friday, the place was dead. I wanted to go back Saturday but I guess word was out and the tech lounge was loving packed (had that happen a lot).

The convention center on the other hand was just bleh and awful this year. Like I said earlier, the air conditioners they put in were loving poo poo. It was hot and muggy and sooooo loving smelly all weekend. It seemed like every other person didn't bathe or put on deodorant in there (lol nerds lol) and people seemed more rude and hostile this year than previous years. I can't count how many times my feet were run over by strollers or meat wagons or just whatever. And it seemed like this year was especially bad for "hey friend, let's chat and catch up and make plans in the middle of the aisle and create a nasty choke point but never quite get what's going on." I just got so fed up with it so fast (lovely AC will do that to you) that for the first time in probably 5+ years, I didn't once head over early to get in with the early group to the hall.

Again, pretty ok con, not great but not as lovely as last year. It was kind of a test run for when my luck runs out and don't get tickets or I finally get so fed up with the game that I stop trying to get tickets. Also it's pretty obvious that as much as places say "must have badge" outside the convention center, they rarely mean it and there's so much confusion that most of the time you can say "that guy over that *points to any loving authoritative looking worker* said I didn't need a badge" and they'll let you in.

• Locked thread