Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Regulation Size posted:

My contender for MOTY 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s39Rp2OED4Y

It happened in 2011 but I only saw it this year.

So shocking that they couldn't develop Ricardo, but Conor is still employed. A fun match, everything Ricardo did was great.

Who the hell thought Dolph Ziggler commentary from the stage was a good idea, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Wazzu posted:

So shocking that they couldn't develop Ricardo, but Conor is still employed. A fun match, everything Ricardo did was great.

Who the hell thought Dolph Ziggler commentary from the stage was a good idea, though.

Ricardo was great all-around as a prop for a bunch of feuds and comedy wins, and I miss him.

Also not sure about that DZ outburst.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Wazzu posted:

Who the hell thought Dolph Ziggler ... was a good idea, though.

Fixed for brevity

And I don't know if it's good enough for me to give it a HM nod, which probably suggests it isn't, but I'd recommend people check out Trent Seven vs. Tyler Bate from the most recent episode of NXT. I know a lot of people have soured on the weekly NXT product a lot so might not have seen it but it was a really good match and I'm sucker for matches between friends that start off all friendly and get more serious.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Baron Corbyn posted:

Fixed for brevity

And I don't know if it's good enough for me to give it a HM nod, which probably suggests it isn't, but I'd recommend people check out Trent Seven vs. Tyler Bate from the most recent episode of NXT. I know a lot of people have soured on the weekly NXT product a lot so might not have seen it but it was a really good match and I'm sucker for matches between friends that start off all friendly and get more serious.

This was really good and for a similar story the Gargano/Ciampa match from the first round of the Cruiserweight Classic was great.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Wazzu posted:

What's also interesting about that match is that a few months later, Ricardo and Conor co-founded The Ascension in FCW.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

HM: Matt Riddle vs. David Starr, CZW 18

HM: shigehiro Irie vs. Joe Gacy, CZW 18

HM: Ugly Ducklings vs. John Skylar & Corey Hollis, PWX, 2/19

MOTYC: Desmond Xavier vs. Fenix vs. Shane Strickland, WrestleCircus, 2/19

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

the Desmond Xavier vs Shane Strickland vs Fenix match was pretty crazy. There was zero psychology or storytelling and barely any selling and i didn't really care they did a whole bunch of poo poo i've never seen before. Shane and Dez have been working each other all over the world and getting rave reviews for a reason they're going to be huge in a couple years.

highlight of the whole thing was after the match fans threw money in the ring and then they all started fighting each other for the money

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
WMOTYC: A.J. Lee vs. Paige, RAW 2/20/2017

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
veto

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Same as my recommendation from last week, if you don't watch NXT check out Pete Dunne vs Mark Andrews. Not as good as their UKCT match but still worth a watch. If WWE gets a UK show going, it should easily be their best in terms of match quality.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Baron Corbyn posted:

Same as my recommendation from last week, if you don't watch NXT check out Pete Dunne vs Mark Andrews. Not as good as their UKCT match but still worth a watch. If WWE gets a UK show going, it should easily be their best in terms of match quality.

No clue if we can HM this, but if so, I'd second it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

You can put in a nomination for any match that happened this year, sure :)

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

I didn't nominate it for HM, but I'd second your nomination.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
It technically happened last year, but Trevor Lee vs. Brad Attitude from 12/30 was really fun and told an unique story. I should really watch more CWF Mid-Atlantic.

Barinthus
Oct 21, 2008

Baron Corbyn posted:

I didn't nominate it for HM, but I'd second your nomination.

Count me in.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

HM - Keith Lee vs. Zack Sabre Jr, Evolve 78, 2/24
HM - Timothy Thatcher vs. Fred Yehi, Evolve 78, 2/24
HM - ACH vs. Tracy Williams, Evolve 78, 2/24

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
HM - Darby Allin vs Ethan Page, Evolve 79, 2/25
HM - Timothy Thatcher vs Zack Sabre Jr, Evolve 79, 2/25

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

HM - Darby Allin vs Ethan Page, Evolve 79, 2/25

Seconding these

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

MOTYC - Io Shirai vs Shanya Baszler, STARDOM Stardom Of Champions 2/23/17

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.

abraham linksys posted:

I'd actually nominate this as MOTYC. I was there though so I may be a bit biased...

edit: also I don't think anyone here watches WxW, but:

MOTYC: Alpha Kevin & Melanie Gray vs. Marius van Beethoven & Alpha Female Intergender Street Fight, WxW Dead End 16, 2/25

This was brutal as hell and the perfect revenge for both faces, although Melanie definitely stole the show, and the crowd was electric. I can't think of a more perfect way to end this feud.

Vertigo Ambrosia fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 28, 2017

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
WMOTYC: Volador Jr. vs Yoshitatsu CMLL Arena Mexico 3/3/17

One of the best wrestlers had a match that bad. Can't imagine how.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

HM: Neville vs. Jack Gallagher, WWE Fastlane, 3/5

poo poo PPV, but that match was great and the right person won.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Venomous posted:

I'm on the fence, but hell I'll second it. This match and Joe/Zayn were the only bright spots in a poo poo PPV.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
HM: Braun Strowman v. Roman Reigns, WWE Fastlane 3/5

Frankly I would go MOTYC because no match where BRAUN attempts a Superfly Splash should go below a MOTYC but I think HM is more likely.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Alain Post posted:

Frankly I would go MOTYC because no match where BRAUN attempts a Superfly Splash should go below a MOTYC but I think HM is more likely.

If he had landed it, it would be MOTY easily.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Venomous posted:

3rd

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Alain Post posted:

I'd agree that MOTYC is a little strong. I'd imagine we're going to see most ratings in the 3.75 to 4.25 range

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

HM: Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Katsuyori Shibata, NJPW 45th Anniversary Show, 3/6

Sabre is so impressive, Shibata is a drat good technical wrestler when he needs to be, and HOLY gently caress THAT ENDING.

e: Jumped the gun a bit here. In hindsight that wasn't even Shibata's best match of the year, even though it was great. Anyway:

HM: Hiromu Takahashi vs. Ryusuke Taguchi, NJPW 45th Anniversary Show, 3/6
HM: Kazuchika Okada vs. Tiger Mask W, NJPW 45th Anniversary Show, 3/6

Wonderful show overall. Massive contrast to Fastlane last night. Literally night and day.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 6, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Kazuchika Okada (C) vs Tiger Mask W for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship, NJPW 45th Anniversary Show.

Okada's had better performances this year but that's only because he's legit one of the best wrestlers on the planet (if not THE best). The momentum shifts and false finishes are a familiar thing in his matches but don't make it any less incredible how he manages to get me into the flow of the match, and the post-match shows of respect were really nicely handled.

Venomous posted:

HM: Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Katsuyori Shibata, NJPW 45th Anniversary Show, 3/6

I'll second that, if only for the ending/big surprise which I think is really worth seeing.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 6, 2017

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Alain Post posted:

It was rest holds in between each guy doing one of their two spots, no thanks

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've updated the second post with February's nominations as far as I can tell. I haven't counted where people have just talked in general about the match without saying if they think it is Match of the year/Worst of the Year, an HM etc - if I've missed or miscounted anything let me know.

Matches of the Year

01/04 | KUSHIDA vs. Hiromu Takahashi - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11
01/04 | Katsuyori Shibata vs. Hirooki Goto - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11
01/04 | Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tetsuya Naito - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11
01/04 | Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11
01/15 | Pete Dunne vs Mark Andrews - WWE UK Championship Tournament Night 2
01/15 | Pete Dunne vs Tyler Bate - WWE UK Championship Tournament Night 2
01/29 | AJ Styles vs John Cena - WWE Royal Rumble
02/05 | Kazuchika Okada (C) vs. Minoru Suzuki for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship - NJPW The New Beginning in Sapporo
02/11 | Tetsuya Naito (C) vs Michael Elgin for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship - NJPW New Beginning in Osaka
02/12 | WWE Championship Elimination Chamber match - John Cena (C) vs AJ Styles vs Dean Ambrose vs Bray Wyatt vs Baron Corbin vs The Miz

Worst Matches of the Year

02/13 | Cesaro vs. Enzo Amore on Monday Night Raw

Honorable Mentions

01/28 | Shinsuke Nakamura vs Bobby Roode - NXT Takeover San Antonio
01/29 | The Royal Rumble Match - WWE Royal Rumble
02/05 | Juice Robinson vs. Hirooki Goto, NJPW The New Beginning in Sapporo
02/11 | Hiromu Takahashi(c) vs. Dragon Lee for the IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship
02/14 | Bray Wyatt (C) vs. AJ Styles vs. John Cena for the WWE Championship - Smackdown
02/22 | Pete Dunne vs Mark Andrews - NXT
02/25 | Timothy Thatcher vs Zack Sabre Jr - Evolve 79

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 9, 2017

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Venomous posted:

MOTYC: Kazuchika Okada vs. Minoru Suzuki, NJPW The New Beginning in Sapporo, 02/05

Oh my God. Oh my God. Incredible. Absolutely incredible.

Archbishop Karaoke posted:

Also MOTYC
Minoru Suzuki vs. Kazuchika Okada from New Beginning in Sapporo

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm finally watching this with the Japanese commentary and I like it more than Okada/Omega by a pretty wide margin.

Jenkem Delivery posted:

MOTYC
Minoru Suzuki vs. Kazuchika Okada from New Beginning in Sapporo

idk if you'd count flashy_mcflash's post as thirding my nomination but yeah, I counted four there

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

e2: gently caress it.

WMOTYC: Goldberg vs. Kevin Owens, WWE Fastlane, 03/05

A bit of pussyfooting from KO before the match begins, which is all well and good, but the bell rings and Jericho appears on the ramp, KO is distracted, spear, jackhammer, Goldberg wins in 20-odd seconds. BTW this was for the WWE Universal Championship, Raw's top title. Garbage.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 6, 2017

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian

Venomous posted:

Actually, thinking about it:

WMOTYC: Goldberg vs. Kevin Owens, WWE Fastlane, 03/05

A bit of pussyfooting from KO before the match begins, which is all well and good, but the bell rings and Jericho appears on the ramp, KO is distracted, spear, jackhammer, Goldberg wins in 20-odd seconds. BTW this was for the WWE Universal Championship, Raw's top title. Garbage.

Really can't second this because the logic of the match is all consistent as the end of the KO Championship run. This was KO laughing in the face of a firing squad, and then forgot they're going to pull the trigger.

Owens taking a powder several times before the match was probably my favorite part of it because it was a credible strategy of "icing the kicker," but Jericho, who was responsible for ALL of KO's wins by way of run in the past few months is the reason he's caught off guard for the bell ringing. I understand having an issue with Owens getting squashed in general, but this was not a bad squash within the context of the story.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

plus what else are you gonna do with Goldberg? If you're that committed to putting him on TV/PPV that's about all you can do at this point. Dude's 50 years old.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

It was a logical ending to the KO title reign story, especially after TLC, where KO was faced with the same thing but kept a cooler head.

Honestly, after beating Reigns and Rollins, there were only really 3 wrestlers who could've been on the other side of this match for KO to panic and turn on Jericho like he did:

Brock, who is a heel, Finn who isn't cleared to compete, and Goldberg.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Alain Post posted:

i'll nth this one, it was a fun hoss-off with a lot of heat going into it. people here were just mad they had to watch a Roman Reigns match

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Venomous posted:

idk if you'd count flashy_mcflash's post as thirding my nomination but yeah, I counted four there

You can absolutely count it as a third. I don't think there's been a match I've rewatched so much in whole or in part, in recent memory.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I'd second KO vs Goldberg for wmotyc because it was poo poo, boring and a bad wrestling match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Frankston posted:

I'd second KO vs Goldberg for wmotyc because it was poo poo, boring and a bad wrestling match.

Third

• Locked thread