Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
wmotyc Ospreay vs scurll

match built around corny unfunny banter, goofy rear end mugging and contrived sequences. idk how anyone could for a moment forget this was fake. sub-pantomime level poo poo. I've liked some of their previous matches too.

motyc Hiromu vs dragon lee

the closest of their series to a normal match. I'm glad they reined it in a little bc the last one finally ventured a little too far into indyriffic territory with the bloat, endless near falls and overdone exhaustion selling. loved all the unique little spots playing off their history. as always with these two, not everything came off perfectly but its so spirited that you can forgive it. Lee seems to be turning into a more well-rounded worker while still being an exhilarating spot machine.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..

MassRafTer posted:

Martin sure is lucky he was in front of such unsophisticated loser fans who popped for that.

it got way over in the building yeah. i said as much on twitter at the time + agreed with Dave that Marty has his act down pat and is pretty much ready made to be a star in WWE (or anywhere). that i think his act is often completely insufferable is kind of irrelevant in that regard. in the context of what i thought of a match, though, idk why you'd take that line of argument. i thought you were above the weird goon passive aggressive misrepresenting deflection thing.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 18, 2017

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

MassRafTer posted:

I don't like Marty Scurll that much, and don't dig his matches but when a guy walks into a building and his match gets that over it's really, really hard to call it the Worst Match of the Year, or close to it. I really wanted Hogan vs Rock to be the Worst Match of the Year, and on a technical level it was really bad, but they did exactly what the people wanted to see. But when you are saying you don't know how anyone could forget this is fake about a match that got over in the building, it comes across super elitist and super misses the point. You do the match that gets over for the people who are in the building. I'd love wrestling to be done directly for me personally, but it's not. It's one thing when it's established stars like Rock and Hogan, or Hogan and a lot of people in WCW. They have a built in advantage and a crowd can react to the worst poo poo in the world due to nostalgia. But when you are debuting in a company and they eat your poo poo up? It seems really out of touch to say it's among the worst stuff of the year.

I dunno I'm just talking about my personal response to a match. whether it worked into the building doesn't really factor into whether i think it was good or bad (except for whatever aesthetic value the crowd's response provides). this isn't something I feel any need to be fair or objective about. after all, its art, as Will and Ricochet are so keen to remind us.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Aphrodite posted:

Spoiler he doesn't really think it's the worst of the year he just didn't like it and needs people to notice his opinions.

nah I really did. it wasn't the least competent match mechanically or structurally but it was the most antithetical to what I want wrestling to be, which is worse than incompetence.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
I mean, yeah, I guess when I say that I'm looking at my response relative to others and am kind of bewildered that they clearly aren't seeing what I'm seeing. but it's not like I'm trying to say the match was objectively bad or anything. I'm not hating on the guy for getting over, but I don't see why I need to temper my personal response because of it. I can appreciate the craft involved in developing an act and masterfully playing to the crowd, and I'll give Marty all the credit in the world for that, but it doesn't make me find the act itself any less aesthetically repugnant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Baron Corbyn posted:

MOTYC: Shuji Ishikawa & Suwama vs Kento Miyahara & Yoshitatsu AJPW Real World Tag League 12/12

Not sure if linking to Real Hero Archive is kosher here but it's there so check it out.

yea

• Locked thread