Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

Oh, if we're putting our 2017 MOTYC noms in here then here we go:

MOTYC: Pete Dunne vs Mark Andrews: WWE UK Championship Tournament Night 2

MOTYC: Pete Dunne vs Tyler Bate: WWE UK CLassic Tournament Night 2

I had never seen any of these wrestlers before I watched the tournament, and the 3 men listed in these matches have made me fans for life. Pete Dunne especially is a fantastic in ring heel.

I liked these two so I'll second and I'd also add an HM: Wolfgang vs. Trent Seven.

There was nothing on San Antonio that I'd recommend going out of your way to see but DIY/AoP was pretty cool and Nakamura/Roode was good if you like slow paced old school stuff and you don't mind NXT's habit of using lengthy medical check spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Venomous posted:

HM: Juice Robinson vs. Hirooki Goto, NJPW The New Beginning in Sapporo, 02/05

That was brilliant. Thought it'd just be a squash after that desperate opening, but holy heck Juice held his own and then some. He needs a NEVER title reign at some point.

Thirding this. Mostly for the same reason Jerusalem did. Seeing Juice pull that match was awesome for me, having not seen him since NXT other than his match with the world's least interesting wrestler, Cody Rhodes.

I'd go HM for Okada/Suzuki as well. I wouldn't say it was better than any of the four big title matches from WK or Cena/AJ but still worth checking out.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

HM: Takahashi/Dragon Lee (Theme Music of the Year: the theme they dub in for Dragon Lee)
MOTYC: Naito/Elgin

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Wazzu posted:

Who the hell thought Dolph Ziggler ... was a good idea, though.

Fixed for brevity

And I don't know if it's good enough for me to give it a HM nod, which probably suggests it isn't, but I'd recommend people check out Trent Seven vs. Tyler Bate from the most recent episode of NXT. I know a lot of people have soured on the weekly NXT product a lot so might not have seen it but it was a really good match and I'm sucker for matches between friends that start off all friendly and get more serious.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Same as my recommendation from last week, if you don't watch NXT check out Pete Dunne vs Mark Andrews. Not as good as their UKCT match but still worth a watch. If WWE gets a UK show going, it should easily be their best in terms of match quality.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

No clue if we can HM this, but if so, I'd second it.

I didn't nominate it for HM, but I'd second your nomination.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Just caught up with the two shows.

HM: Shibata/Sabre Jr.
HM: Okada/Tiger Mask W
HM: Neville/Gallagher
WMOTYC: Owens/Goldberg

DJExile posted:

plus what else are you gonna do with Goldberg? If you're that committed to putting him on TV/PPV that's about all you can do at this point. Dude's 50 years old.

If he's not capable of doing more than 20 second matches, maybe just let him squash nobodies and not put the title on him. How many more network subscriptions will Goldberg/Lesnar for the Universal title do vs. just Goldberg/Lesnar, anyway?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I've updated the second post with February's nominations as far as I can tell. I haven't counted where people have just talked in general about the match without saying if they think it is Match of the year/Worst of the Year, an HM etc - if I've missed or miscounted anything let me know.

I think you missed Naito/Elgin. It got four nominations, I think that's the minimum?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Sure

HM: Tanahashi/EVIL

Tanga Roa's running commentary was entertaining enough to keep that match above WMOTYC though.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Kenny Omega vs. Tomohiro Ishii, New Japan Cup 1st Round, 03/12

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Suplex Liberace posted:

When ishii reversed the one winged angel into a stunner only it being 5am stopped me from losing my mind.

I like Kenny but I hope they have him continue to lose so we get more ridiculous counters to the OWA.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

HM: Okada/Shibata

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I thought about it overnight and I want to nominate

HM: KUSHIDA/Hiromu Takahashi

It was funny as hell and nothing amused me so much in wrestling as Brock/Goldberg from Survivor Series. Plus I'm fast becoming a Hiromu mark and watching him merk KUSHIDA was awesome.

By the way, Okada is currently averaging 5.167 stars in title defences for this reign, 4.75+ for this match will keep him above 5 and 4.5 would put him dead on 5.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

Imean if you'regonna compare omega to someone, who was the hot gaijin wrestler of that period?

in AJPW?

Johnny Ace! Hell, they even have the same number of 5+ star matches. It's the perfect fit. Can't wait to see Big Kenny bringing people power back to Monday Night Raw in 20 years.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

NuclearPotato posted:

HM: Juice Robinson vs. Tetsuya Naito, NJPW Wrestling Toyonokuni 2017, 04/29

A pretty alright if unspectacular first half gave way to a MOTYC second half after they started brawling on the outside for the second time. Also features great selling on Juice's part.

2nd. Crowd dragged down Hiromu/Ricochet too much for me to really get into it. Hiromu singing The Lion King in his post match interview is great though.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Omega/Ishii

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

HM: Kushida/Juice vs Hiromu/Naito, 05/03, Dontaku

This match was so fun and I can see myself rewatching it a bunch of times. Just loving wild from bell to bell.

Naito letting Hiromu talk to the IC belt was the highlight of the show.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Will Ospreay vs. Ricochet (BoSJ Night 2)
MOTYC: TAKA vs Taichi (BoSJ Night 2)

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Dunne/Bate
HM: Roode/Itami
HM: DIY/AoP

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Gedo wants everybody put in their place early, so every year Okada sets the bar in the first week of January :smug:

we could start making the year begin on January 5th so there's the possibility the matches we're watching could be the best

Venomous posted:

MOTYC: The Usos vs. Breezango, WWE Backlash, 05/22

yes

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

HM: Young Bucks vs. Roppongi Vice
HM: Hiromu Takahashi vs. KUSHIDA
HM: Minoru Suzuki vs. Hirooki Goto
MOTYC: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tetsuya Naito
MOTYC: Kenny Omega vs. Kazuchika Okada

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Updated OP with the two new Worst Match of the Year Contenders from MITB, and a couple of backdated Dominion HMs. Also upgraded KUSHIDA vs Takahashi from HM to MOTYC.

I think you missed Naito/Tanahashi in the MOTYCs and have the MitB matches listed as happening on 6/11.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Cardboard Box posted:

even though baron corbin won i will say it was a very excellent match

I think you wrote "even though" where you meant to write "because"

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Big Mike/Medium Kenny

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Jimmy McGill vs Chuck McGill Better Call Saul: Chicanery 05/08/2017

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Ibushi/Naito

I thought Goto/Ishii was better than ZSJ/Takahashi but both were reLly good and you should watch them.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jack Anderson posted:

MOTYC: Kenny Omega vs. Minoru Suzuki

2nd

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Also

HM: Satoshi Kojima vs Juice Robinson

I loved the student vs mentor story. I bought the near falls and I didn't expect it to go down the way it did. Also both guys are really cool and good.

And I loved the part in Suzuki/Omega that some of you hated. Suzuki looking like a straight up horror movie monster was the best part though.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

HM: Sabre/Ibushi
HM: Naito/YOSHI-HASHI
HM: Nagata/Goto

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

HM: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Yuji Nagata
HM: Kota Ibushi vs. Tomohiro Ishii

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Toru Yano vs Kenny Omega - G1 Climax Night 5.

Please watch this beautiful match.

2nd. Finish fell a little flat otherwise I'd go MOTY.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Big Michael Elgin vs Kenny Omega

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I will give the HM to Juice/Okada

Wasn't Kenny referencing the Big Daddy Yum Yum sell of those chops that got him into contention for most improved of the year in whatever year that happened?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Adding an HM to Nagata/Ishii

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Kenny Omega vs EVIL - G1 Climax Night 12

Man Kenny Omega is good. EVIL is too, but man Kenny is good!

agreed but I am very worried about EVIL

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: EVIL/Okada

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Kazuchika Okada vs. Minoru Suzuki

I enjoyed it more than their New Beginning match tbh

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Omega/Okada
HM: Elgin/Juice

Maybe I'm biased because I love Juice but that was a really really good match that continued to build Juice into a top level contender. Especially the fact that Elgin felt the need to try a Burning Hammer to put Juice away.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

hm young bucks vs taguchi/ricochet g1 final 8/13

brilliantly constructed match!!! ricochet is somehow underrated just great grit from the kid!!!!! reminiscent of that great young bucks/rpg vice match from what was it invasion attack last year??

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: Tetsuya Naito vs Kenny Omega - G1 Climax Final

Incredible match to top of the best G1 of all time, probably the best wrestling tournament of all time.

for sure

• Locked thread