Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

mkay0 posted:

How is it less of a match than Final Deletion or literally any Lucha Underground match?

The Grindhouse Wrestling Epic mostly does stuff in one take while I assume GLOW is done in multiple takes but if it's one take I throw my support behind GLOW being the Match of the Year 2017 because Billy Corgan wrote a song about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
7/14, CMLL Arena Mexico

HM: CARÍSTICO, MÍSTICO Y DRAGON LEE
vs
MEPHISTO, LUCIFERNO Y EPHESTO

Very close to a MOTYC but had a couple miscues. Some of the best high flying you'll see all year.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

moty: volador jr vs ultimo guerrero

Agree

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Between the semi, main and a Metalico entrance that was one of the better shows of the year.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HM: Tanahashi vs Nagata. Best match I've seen so far in the G1.

Granted I've only watched three.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jenny Angel posted:

You should for real watch Ibushi vs. Naito, Elgin vs. Okada, and Ibushi vs. Sabre!!

I'll probably get around to Elgin vs Okada and hopefully Ibushi vs Sabre. Had to watch the important poo poo I was actually excited for like YTR vs Okada first.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Nagata/Goto has been really underrated, in another year it would be nuts for it not to get a MOTYC nomination.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
WMOTYC: Aerial Assault (CZW, Once in a Lifetime)

also

MOTYC: Aerial Assault (CZW, Once in a Lifetime)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

Well now I feel like I've got to watch it!

Everyone absolutely should. It's a Japanese style build where it feels like a WMOTYC the whole way but then builds to a perfect finish that is both simultaneously.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
MOTYC for Okada/Omega and Naito/Omega although Naito/Omega felt a step below the truly top tier matches of this tournament.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
WMOTYC: La Llave a La Gloria, Triplemania XXV

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Super No Vacancy posted:

has that...... started?

That huge clusterfuck was apparently just part of it? I'll revise my nomination.

The Giant Stupid La Llave a La Gloria Clusterfuck One Fall Battle Royal: AAA Triplemania 25

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
WMOTYC: Sexy Star vs Lady Shani vs Ayako Hamada vs Rosemary, AAA Triplemania 25

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
WMOTYC: Pagano vs Mesias AAA Triplemania 25

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HM:

ESPECTACULAR TORNEO CIBERNÉTICO
MÉXICO vs RESTO DEL MUNDO
VOLADOR JR., ÚLTIMO GUERRERO, EL VALIENTE, EUFORIA, RUSH Y DIAMANTE AZUL
vs
MATT TAVEN, SAM ADONIS, MARCO CORLEONE, MICHAEL ELGIN, JOHNNY IDOL Y JUICE ROBINSON

CMLL 8/29 Arena Puebla

Mike Elgin was out of this world, plus great stuff from Rush, Juice and Volador.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Boco_T posted:

MOTYC: CMLL Grand Prix 2017

Big Mike is the best in the world

Second.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dimebags Brain posted:

The Naito/Tanhashi matches that immediately preceded each Omega/Okada match were better every time.

The weak, less convincing leg work that the crowd didn't get as into was definitely better than the much better match that came after.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
MOTYC: Princess Sugehit vs Zeuxis, great heat, rare great usage of the 2/3 falls rules to add tension to nearfalls in the third fall.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NuclearPotato posted:

3rd, though I think the third fall dragged on a bit. That said, the drama of the mask stip carried the match through, along with how none of the two's spots could put each other away until Zeuxis pulled the Spanish Fly from out of nowhere.

I was fully sold when the same roll up wasn't enough to finish the 3rd fall.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HM: Niebla Roja vs Gran Guerrero, CMLL Anniversario 84 Great heat, some really cool spots and good nearfalls.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HM: Soberano Jr vs Cavernario 10/2 CMLL Arena Puebla

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
MOTYC KUSHIDA vs Will Ospreay

Even though any match where KUSHIDA loses should be WMOTY.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HM: Torneo Cibernetico De la Leyenda De Plata, CMLL 10/13

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HM: Caristico vs Volador Jr CMLL 10/20

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I was sad when I checked this thread and the main event didn't get the HM/WMOTYC treatment but I am glad to wake up this morning and see it went one better.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Price Check posted:

HM - KUSHIDA and Hirai Kawato vs. Roppongi 3k - 10/23
HM - Dragon Lee and Titan vs. L.I.J (Hiromu and BUSHI) - 10/23

I liked both of these matches a lot. Kawato is super over already and ready to make the next step. I knew he had to be taking the pin yet I still bit on the near falls. Dragon Lee/Hiromu never gets old. I love that NJPW has kept the continuity of those two just killing each other whenever they get the chance.

Seconded.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Ishii might be the only other wrestler with an argument for Most Outstanding this year.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

His year this year would win him wrestler of year almost any other year in the last 10 but he doesn't stand a chance this year cause Okada just went Nah, gonna have an all time year.

If you look at the array of Ishii's top level singles matches in 2017 he has put out maybe double the level of Okada, but Okada's peaks have been higher, obviously. Obviously he won't win, and probably shouldn't but I don't think he'll even be in the top 3 which is a shame.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, Ishii, Naito, Styles, Tanahashi and Omega would all be far and above the top choice any other year, and this year you can make a decent argument for any of them being #2-6 in any order.

Would Styles even be a contender in a normal year? A good third of his year was consumed by the feud with Owens which wasn't very good and then his last few months were forgettable until he had the best match of Jinder's career (which is a feat.)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

You could probably put Kushida in the running has he's had a superb year as well and he probably won't see the top 5 on any ballot.

KUSHIDA has been great as well and will be in my top 5 along with Caristico.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

naito is having a better year than okada

At being a thief.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HM: Volador Jr vs Negro Casas, 11/13 CMLL Arena Puebla

A cherry on the proverbial poo poo sundae that was one of the worst undercards of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

i thought the main event was also bad

The third fall was very hot and everything from the Gory Special attempt on was awesome. Especially the Gory special sequence, that was some great core strength.

• Locked thread