Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HM: Hiromu Takahashi (C) vs KUSHIDA for the IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship - NJPW Dominion.

These two have great chemistry and seeing the lengths KUSHIDA was willing to go to in his attempts to beat this strange, strange man ruled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Catching up on this as best as I can considering Dominion will probably bring a bunch of new nominees. Posts were kinda all over the place thanks to the heavy Best of the Super Juniors month and people struggling to keep caught up but I think I've managed to get every nomination in that met the requirements. Let me know if I missed anything.

Matches of the Year

01/04 | KUSHIDA vs. Hiromu Takahashi - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11
01/04 | Katsuyori Shibata vs. Hirooki Goto - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11
01/04 | Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tetsuya Naito - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11
01/04 | Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11
01/15 | Pete Dunne vs. Mark Andrews - WWE UK Championship Tournament Night 2
01/15 | Pete Dunne vs. Tyler Bate - WWE UK Championship Tournament Night 2
01/29 | Kevin Owens (C) vs. Roman Reigns for the WWE Universal Championship - WWE Royal Rumble
01/29 | AJ Styles vs. John Cena - WWE Royal Rumble
02/05 | Kazuchika Okada (C) vs. Minoru Suzuki for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship - NJPW The New Beginning in Sapporo
02/11 | Tetsuya Naito (C) vs. Michael Elgin for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship - NJPW New Beginning in Osaka
02/12 | WWE Championship Elimination Chamber match - John Cena (C) vs. AJ Styles vs. Dean Ambrose vs. Bray Wyatt vs. Baron Corbin vs. The Miz
03/10 | The Hardy's vs. The Young Bucks vs. Roppongi Vice - ROH 15th Anniversary
03/12 | Kenny Omega vs. Tomohiro Ishii - New Japan Cup 1st Round
04/01 | Authors of Pain (C) vs. The Revival vs. DIY for the NXT Tag Team Championship - NXT Takeover: Orlando
04/02 | Shane McMahon vs. AJ Styles - Wrestlemania 33.
04/02 | The Club (C) vs. Sheamus & Cesaro vs. Enzo & Cass vs. The Hardys for the WWE Tag Team Championship - Wrestlemania 33
04/02 | Bill Goldberg (C) vs. Brock Lesnar for the WWE Universal Championship - Wrestlemania 33
04/09 | Kazuchika Okada (C) vs Katsuyori Shibata for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship - Sakura Genesis
04/30 | Microman y el Gallito vs Mije y el Perico Zakarias - CMLL
05/03 | Kenny Omega vs. Tomohiro Ishii - NJPW Wrestling Dontaku
05/05 | Jimmy Kagetora vs. Takehiro Yamamura for the Open the Brave Gate Championship - Dragon Gate Dead or Alive
05/12 | Will Ospreay vs. Jay White - ROH War of the Worlds
05/17 | Will Ospreay vs. Marty Scurll - NJPW Best of the Super Juniors
05/17 | Taka Michinoku vs. Taichi - NJPW Best of the Super Juniors
05/18 | Will Ospreay vs. Ricochet - NJPW Best of the Super Juniors
05/20 | Tyler Bate (C) vs Pete Dunne - NXT Takeover Chicago
05/22 | The Usos (C) vs The Fashion Police for the Smackdown Tag Team Championship - WWE Backlash
06/03 | KUSHIDA vs Will Ospreay - NJPW Best of the Super Juniors
06/11 | Kazuchika Okada (C) vs Kenny Omega for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship - NJPW Dominion

Worst Matches of the Year

02/13 | Cesaro vs. Enzo Amore on Monday Night Raw
03/05 | Kevin Owens (C) vs. Goldberg for the WWE Universal Championship - WWE Fastlane
03/27 | Centella Roja e Hijo De Centella Roja vs. El Perverso Y Sombra Diabolika - CMLL Arena Puebla
04/02 | Bray Wyatt (C) vs. Randy Orton for the WWE Championship - Wrestlemania 33
04/02 | Undertaker vs Roman Reigns - Wrestlemania 33
04/30 | Bray Wyatt vs Randy Orton in a House of Horrors Match - WWE Payback
06/04 | Alexa Bliss (C) vs Bayley for the WWE Women's Championship in a Kendo Stick on a Pole match - WWE Extreme Rules

Honorable Mentions

01/28 | Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Bobby Roode - NXT Takeover San Antonio
01/29 | The Royal Rumble Match - WWE Royal Rumble
02/05 | Juice Robinson vs. Hirooki Goto, NJPW The New Beginning in Sapporo
02/11 | Hiromu Takahashi(c) vs. Dragon Lee for the IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship
02/14 | Bray Wyatt (C) vs. AJ Styles vs. John Cena for the WWE Championship - Smackdown
02/22 | Pete Dunne vs. Mark Andrews - NXT
02/25 | Timothy Thatcher vs. Zack Sabre Jr - Evolve 79
03/05 | Neville vs. Jack Gallagher for the WWE Cruiserweight Championship - WWE Fastlane
03/06 | Katsuyori Shibata (C) vs. Zack Sabre Jr. for the RevPro British Heavyweight Championship - NJPW 45th Anniversary Show
03/06 | Kazuchika Okada vs. Tiger Mask W - NJPW 45th Anniversary Show
03/05 | Braun Strowman vs. Roman Reigns - WWE Fastlane
03/10 | Bobby Fish vs. Jay Lethal - ROH 15th Anniversary
03/10 | Marty Scurll vs. Lio Rush - ROH 15th Anniversary Show
03/21 | American Alpha (C) vs. The Usos for the Smackdown Tag Team Championship - Smackdown Live
03/21 | Neville vs. Mustafa Ali - 205 Live
03/30 | Ricochet vs. Keith Lee - EVOLVE
04/01 | SAnitY vs Tye Dillinger, Roderick Strong, Kassius Ohno & Ruby Riot - NXT Takeover Orlando
04/01 | Aleister Black vs. Andrade Almas - NXT Takeover Orlando
04/01 | Asuka (C) vs. Ember Moon for the NXT Women's Championship - NXT Takeover Orlando
04/01 | Bobby Roode (C) vs. Shinsuke Nakamura for the NXT Championship - NXT Takeover Orlando
04/28 | Zack Sabre Jr. vs Negro Navarro - Chairo 10, MDA 2, Arena Naucalpan
04/29 | Hiromu Takahashi (C) vs. Ricochet for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship - NJPW Wrestling Toyonokuni
04/29 | Tetsuya Naito (C) vs Juice Robinson for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship - NJPW Wrestling Toyonokuni
05/03 | KUSHIDA & Juice Robinson vs Tetsuya Naito & Hiromu Takahashi - NJPW Wrestling Dontaku
05/03 | Kazuchika Okada (C) vs. Bad Luck Fale for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship - NJPW Wrestling Dontaku
05/05 | CK-1 (Dragon Kid and CIMA) vs. Verserk (El Lindaman and T-Hawk) for the Open the Twin Gate Championship - Dragon Gate Dead or Alive
05/17 | Hiromu Takahashi vs Dragon Lee - Best of the Super Juniors
05/20 | Bobby Roode (C) vs Hideo Itami for the NXT Championship - NXT Takeover Chicago
05/20 | Authors of Pain (C) vs DIY for the NXT Tag Team Championship - NXT Takeover Chicago
05/22 | Kevin Owens (C) vs AJ Styles for the US Championship - WWE Backlash
05/29 | Rush vs Mr. Niebla - CMLL Arena Puebla
06/11 | Hiromu Takahashi (C) vs KUSHIDA for the IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship - NJPW Dominion

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 11, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SatoshiMiwa posted:

HM : Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Tetsuya Naito

Good match made better by the awesome heat

Second. Real good match and the crowd was electric.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MOTYC: Kazuchika Okada (C) vs Kenny Omega for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship - Dominion 6/11

Even if it wasn't the ending I wanted, what an incredible loving match and it did NOT feel like the match was as long as it was. I mean that in a good way. The best way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I imagine there'll be a lot of disagreement about this:

WMOTYC: The First Ever Women's MITB Ladder match

The ending was hilarious and got a huge pop but it was also loving terrible, undercut the entire message WWE had been pushing including their very good video package at the start of the match, and basically made the Smackdown Women's Division look like a joke. The actual bulk of the match was a mess but entertaining at least, but the ending just completely derailed everything.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Updated OP with the two new Worst Match of the Year Contenders from MITB, and a couple of backdated Dominion HMs. Also upgraded KUSHIDA vs Takahashi from HM to MOTYC.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Baron Corbyn posted:

I think you missed Naito/Tanahashi in the MOTYCs and have the MitB matches listed as happening on 6/11.

I did and I did, thanks and fixed now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

3rd. It ramped up real strong towards the end and I dug the final result.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Every time I see Barbaro is still able to walk, let alone wrestle, I'm surprised.

Match was fun though, don't know if I'd call it a HM but that may largely because I'm unfamiliar with the product or the live experience with all the horns constantly blaring etc, which was kinda distracting.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Venomous posted:

HM: Asuka vs. Nikki Cross (Last Woman Standing match for the NXT Women's Championship), NXT, 06/28

It has enough votes already to get in, but I'll add in my 4th. That was a cool match and a cool ending.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DarkstarIV posted:

I know not a lot of people watch STARDOM, but I'm going to nominate a match here:

MOTYC: Io Shirai vs Mayu Iwatani, 6/21 Korakuen Hall show.

I'd only say HM myself, but that may be because I only know the background second-hand so the emotions wouldn't have hit as strong with me. It is a very good match though and people SHOULD see it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'd say:

HM: ZSJ vs Juice
HM: Elgin vs Omega
HM: Okada vs Cody

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

HM - Jay Lethal vs. Kenny Omega, NJPW G1 Special USA Night 2, 7/2

sportsgenius86 posted:

HM - Tomohiro Ishii vs. Zack Sabre Jr., NJPW G1 Special USA Night 2, 7/2

Agreed with both. Shocking news but it turns out NJPW is real loving good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Under the vegetable posted:

kenny vs ishii is match of the year.

I was gonna say HM until the last few minutes where things just got amazing. Seconded as a MOTYC

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Current nominations through the first six months of the year:

Matches of the Year

01/04 | KUSHIDA vs. Hiromu Takahashi - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11
01/04 | Katsuyori Shibata vs. Hirooki Goto - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11
01/04 | Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tetsuya Naito - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11
01/04 | Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11
01/15 | Pete Dunne vs. Mark Andrews - WWE UK Championship Tournament Night 2
01/15 | Pete Dunne vs. Tyler Bate - WWE UK Championship Tournament Night 2
01/29 | Kevin Owens (C) vs. Roman Reigns for the WWE Universal Championship - WWE Royal Rumble
01/29 | AJ Styles vs. John Cena - WWE Royal Rumble
02/05 | Kazuchika Okada (C) vs. Minoru Suzuki for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship - NJPW The New Beginning in Sapporo
02/11 | Tetsuya Naito (C) vs. Michael Elgin for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship - NJPW New Beginning in Osaka
02/12 | WWE Championship Elimination Chamber match - John Cena (C) vs. AJ Styles vs. Dean Ambrose vs. Bray Wyatt vs. Baron Corbin vs. The Miz
03/10 | The Hardy's vs. The Young Bucks vs. Roppongi Vice - ROH 15th Anniversary
03/12 | Kenny Omega vs. Tomohiro Ishii - New Japan Cup 1st Round
04/01 | Authors of Pain (C) vs. The Revival vs. DIY for the NXT Tag Team Championship - NXT Takeover: Orlando
04/02 | Shane McMahon vs. AJ Styles - Wrestlemania 33.
04/02 | The Club (C) vs. Sheamus & Cesaro vs. Enzo & Cass vs. The Hardys for the WWE Tag Team Championship - Wrestlemania 33
04/02 | Bill Goldberg (C) vs. Brock Lesnar for the WWE Universal Championship - Wrestlemania 33
04/09 | Kazuchika Okada (C) vs Katsuyori Shibata for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship - Sakura Genesis
04/30 | Microman y el Gallito vs Mije y el Perico Zakarias - CMLL
05/03 | Kenny Omega vs. Tomohiro Ishii - NJPW Wrestling Dontaku
05/05 | Jimmy Kagetora vs. Takehiro Yamamura for the Open the Brave Gate Championship - Dragon Gate Dead or Alive
05/12 | Will Ospreay vs. Jay White - ROH War of the Worlds
05/17 | Will Ospreay vs. Marty Scurll - NJPW Best of the Super Juniors
05/17 | Taka Michinoku vs. Taichi - NJPW Best of the Super Juniors
05/18 | Will Ospreay vs. Ricochet - NJPW Best of the Super Juniors
05/20 | Tyler Bate (C) vs Pete Dunne - NXT Takeover Chicago
05/22 | The Usos (C) vs The Fashion Police for the Smackdown Tag Team Championship - WWE Backlash
06/03 | KUSHIDA vs Will Ospreay - NJPW Best of the Super Juniors
06/11 | Hiromu Takahashi (C) vs KUSHIDA for the IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship - NJPW Dominion
06/11 | Tetsuya Naito (C) vs Hiroshi Tanahashi for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship - NJPW Dominion
06/11 | Kazuchika Okada (C) vs Kenny Omega for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship - NJPW Dominion
07/01 | Kenny Omega vs Michael Elgin in NJPW US Champion Tournament - NJPW Long Beach Night 1
07/02 | Kenny Omega vs Tomohiro Ishii for the Inaugural US Heavyweight Championship - NJPW Long Beach Night 2

02/13 | Cesaro vs. Enzo Amore on Monday Night Raw
03/05 | Kevin Owens (C) vs. Goldberg for the WWE Universal Championship - WWE Fastlane
03/27 | Centella Roja e Hijo De Centella Roja vs. El Perverso Y Sombra Diabolika - CMLL Arena Puebla
04/02 | Bray Wyatt (C) vs. Randy Orton for the WWE Championship - Wrestlemania 33
04/02 | Undertaker vs Roman Reigns - Wrestlemania 33
04/30 | Bray Wyatt vs Randy Orton in a House of Horrors Match - WWE Payback
06/04 | Alexa Bliss (C) vs Bayley for the WWE Women's Championship in a Kendo Stick on a Pole match - WWE Extreme Rules
06/18 | Charlotte vs Becky Lynch vs Nattie vs Tamina vs Carmella (with James Ellsworth) in a Women's MITB Ladder Match - WWE Money in the Bank
06/18 | Naomi (C) vs Lana for the Smackdown Women's Championship - WWE Money in the Bank

Honorable Mentions

01/28 | Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Bobby Roode - NXT Takeover San Antonio
01/29 | The Royal Rumble Match - WWE Royal Rumble
02/05 | Juice Robinson vs. Hirooki Goto, NJPW The New Beginning in Sapporo
02/11 | Hiromu Takahashi(c) vs. Dragon Lee for the IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship
02/14 | Bray Wyatt (C) vs. AJ Styles vs. John Cena for the WWE Championship - Smackdown
02/22 | Pete Dunne vs. Mark Andrews - NXT
02/25 | Timothy Thatcher vs. Zack Sabre Jr - Evolve 79
03/05 | Neville vs. Jack Gallagher for the WWE Cruiserweight Championship - WWE Fastlane
03/06 | Katsuyori Shibata (C) vs. Zack Sabre Jr. for the RevPro British Heavyweight Championship - NJPW 45th Anniversary Show
03/06 | Kazuchika Okada vs. Tiger Mask W - NJPW 45th Anniversary Show
03/05 | Braun Strowman vs. Roman Reigns - WWE Fastlane
03/10 | Bobby Fish vs. Jay Lethal - ROH 15th Anniversary
03/10 | Marty Scurll vs. Lio Rush - ROH 15th Anniversary Show
03/21 | American Alpha (C) vs. The Usos for the Smackdown Tag Team Championship - Smackdown Live
03/21 | Neville vs. Mustafa Ali - 205 Live
03/30 | Ricochet vs. Keith Lee - EVOLVE
04/01 | SAnitY vs Tye Dillinger, Roderick Strong, Kassius Ohno & Ruby Riot - NXT Takeover Orlando
04/01 | Aleister Black vs. Andrade Almas - NXT Takeover Orlando
04/01 | Asuka (C) vs. Ember Moon for the NXT Women's Championship - NXT Takeover Orlando
04/01 | Bobby Roode (C) vs. Shinsuke Nakamura for the NXT Championship - NXT Takeover Orlando
04/28 | Zack Sabre Jr. vs Negro Navarro - Chairo 10, MDA 2, Arena Naucalpan
04/29 | Hiromu Takahashi (C) vs. Ricochet for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship - NJPW Wrestling Toyonokuni
04/29 | Tetsuya Naito (C) vs Juice Robinson for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship - NJPW Wrestling Toyonokuni
05/03 | KUSHIDA & Juice Robinson vs Tetsuya Naito & Hiromu Takahashi - NJPW Wrestling Dontaku
05/03 | Kazuchika Okada (C) vs. Bad Luck Fale for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship - NJPW Wrestling Dontaku
05/05 | CK-1 (Dragon Kid and CIMA) vs. Verserk (El Lindaman and T-Hawk) for the Open the Twin Gate Championship - Dragon Gate Dead or Alive
05/17 | Hiromu Takahashi vs Dragon Lee - Best of the Super Juniors
05/20 | Bobby Roode (C) vs Hideo Itami for the NXT Championship - NXT Takeover Chicago
05/20 | Authors of Pain (C) vs DIY for the NXT Tag Team Championship - NXT Takeover Chicago
05/22 | Kevin Owens (C) vs AJ Styles for the US Championship - WWE Backlash
05/29 | Rush vs Mr. Niebla - CMLL Arena Puebla
06/11 | Roppongi Vice (C) vs The Young Bucks for the IWGP Jr Tag Team Championship - NJPW Dominion
06/11 | Minoru Suzuki (C) vs Goto for the NEVER Openweight Championship - NJPW Dominion
06/18 | AJ Styles vs Shinsuke Nakamura vs Sami Zayn vs Dolph Ziggler vs Kevin Owens vs Baron Corbin in the MITB Ladder Match - WWE Money in the Bank
06/20 | Barbaro Cavernario vs Volador Jr - CMLL Arena Mexico
06/28 | Asuka (C) vs. Nikki Cross in a Last Woman Standing match for the NXT Women's Championship - NXT
07/01 | Zack Sabre Jr vs Juice Robinson in NJPW US Champion Tournament - NJPW Long Beach Night 1
07/01 | Tetsuya Naito vs Tomohiro Ishii in NJPW US Champion Tournament - NJPW Long Beach Night 1
07/02 | Kenny Omega vs Jay Lethal in NJPW US Champion Tournament Semi-Final - NJPW Long Beach Night 2
07/02 | Zack Sabre Jr vs Tomohiro Ishii in NJPW US Champion Tournament Semi-Final - NJPW Long Beach Night 2
07/02 | The Young Bucks (C) vs Roppongi Vice for the IWGP Junior Tag Team Championship - NJPW Long Beach Night 2

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I missed Kairi Hojo vs Mayu Iwatani, I'll add to that to the list.

GLOW is a TV show and was posted by Senerio as a joke, it isn't a valid option.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Junpei Hyde posted:

If it was posted seriously would it be a valid option?

No.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

HM: Iron Man Match - Hardy Boyz vs. Sheamus and Cesaro, WWE Great Balls of Fire 7/9

I'll second it. The last 10 minutes or so were really good and the last couple of minutes was pretty fantastic.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ThePariah posted:

HM: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Zack Saber Jr., G1 Climax Night 1 (July 17, 2017)
MOTYC: Kota Ibushi vs Naito, G1 Climax Night 1 (July 17, 2017)

Agreed, these were both very good but Ibushi/Naito was excellent (big shock there, huh?)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Going to try and keep this up to date through G1 or risk falling helplessly behind, this should be accurate for July so far, let me know if I missed anything.

MOTYC:
07/01 | Kenny Omega vs Michael Elgin in NJPW US Champion Tournament - NJPW Long Beach Night 1
07/02 | Kenny Omega vs Tomohiro Ishii for the Inaugural US Heavyweight Championship - NJPW Long Beach Night 2
07/14 | Volador Jr vs Ultimo Guerrero - Campeon Universal Del CMLL 2017 Tournament Final
07/17 | Kota Ibushi vs Tetsuya Naito - G1 Climax Night 1

WMOTYC:
None so far

Honorable Mentions:
07/01 | Zack Sabre Jr vs Juice Robinson in NJPW US Champion Tournament - NJPW Long Beach Night 1
07/01 | Tetsuya Naito vs Tomohiro Ishii in NJPW US Champion Tournament - NJPW Long Beach Night 1
07/02 | Kenny Omega vs Jay Lethal in NJPW US Champion Tournament Semi-Final - NJPW Long Beach Night 2
07/02 | Zack Sabre Jr vs Tomohiro Ishii in NJPW US Champion Tournament Semi-Final - NJPW Long Beach Night 2
07/02 | The Young Bucks (C) vs Roppongi Vice for the IWGP Junior Tag Team Championship - NJPW Long Beach Night 2
07/09 | Sheamus & Cesaro (C) vs The Hardyz Iron Man match for the Tag Team Titles - WWE Great Balls of Fire
07/09 | Roman Reigns vs Braun Strowman in an Ambulance Match - WWE Great Balls of Fire
07/09 | Brock Lesnar (C) vs Samoa Joe for the Universal Championship - WWE Great Balls of Fire
07/17 | Hirooki Goto vs Tomohiro Ishii - G1 Climax Night 1
07/17 | Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Zack Sabre Jr - G1 Climax Night 1

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: SANADA vs EVIL.

I liked Omega/Suzuki but felt the middle section - while exciting for the crowd - let it down somewhat. That is the best use of ____Fale____ I have ever seen though!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Nagata/Goto
HM: Sabre/Ibushi

Both really strong matches that didn't quite elevate to the very top but were a ton of fun to watch. I love ZSJ in Suzuki-Gun, and Nagata continues to amaze me in how he is holding up at his age.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Okada vs Elgin - G1 Climax Night 4

Both guys are tremendous, the storyline of Okada's 2017 is utterly fascinating to me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Usos (C) vs The New Day for the Tag Team Titles at WWE Battleground.

Holy gently caress that was a fun match.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

WMOTY: Jinder vs Orton, Punjabi Prison - WWE Battleground 7/23

Jesus Christ, nthed :gonk:

I had zero expectations and it still managed to be worse than I expected.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Toru Yano vs Kenny Omega - G1 Climax Night 6.

Please watch this beautiful match.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 25, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'll second an HM on Jericho vs Styles vs Owens. Really fun match with a cool finish.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'd say HM for BIG MIKE vs Kenny, personally. Definitely the match of the night though (some might argue SANADA vs Yano however, Yano is the G1 MVP).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Foul Fowl, are you seconding the MOTYC nomination for Elgin/Omega? If you are then that gives it the four it needs, if not then it still needs one more.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Let's try to keep the garbage fire that is politics in 2017 outta here, please - talk about good, great and even terrible wrestling matches!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Takuan posted:

HM: Tetsuya Naito vs Tomohiro Ishii, G1 Climax Night 9

Seconding that, these two always deliver.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SatoshiMiwa posted:

This year has seen so much good wrestling across the world that matches that would normally be top 5 of the year might not even make a best match list.

Yeah, I can think of a handful of matches that would normally be duking it out for the number one spot that are currently struggling to make it into the top 3 (all of which feature Okada, two of which feature Omega) because holy poo poo there have been some amazing matches this year.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

In a shocking and unexpected turn of events, I'm gonna go ahead and put in a HM Nomination for Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Kota Ibushi at G1 Climax Night 11. Turns out those two are very good wrestlers!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Done my best to get caught up with all the nominations, things should now be accurate up to the current day - please let me know if I missed anything, several matches were just a single vote short of either a MOTYC or HM nomination provided I kept an accurate count.

July's best (and worst) matches:

Matches of the Year
07/14 | Volador Jr vs Ultimo Guerrero - Campeon Universal Del CMLL 2017 Tournament Final
07/17 | Kota Ibushi vs Tetsuya Naito - G1 Climax Night 1
07/21 | Zach Sabre Jr vs Kota Ibushi - G1 Climax Night 3
07/22 | Kazuchika Okada vs Michael Elgin - G1 Climax Night 4
07/27 | Kenny Omega vs Michael Elgin - G1 Climax Night 8

07/23 | John Cena vs Rusev in a Flag Match - WWE Battleground
07/23 | Jinder Mahal (C) vs Randy Orton in a Punjabi Prison match for the WWE Championship - WWE Battleground

Honorable Mentions
07/09 | Sheamus & Cesaro (C) vs The Hardyz Iron Man match for the Tag Team Titles - WWE Great Balls of Fire
07/09 | Roman Reigns vs Braun Strowman in an Ambulance Match - WWE Great Balls of Fire
07/09 | Brock Lesnar (C) vs Samoa Joe for the Universal Championship - WWE Great Balls of Fire
07/17 | Yugi Nagata vs Yoshi-Hashi - G1 Climax Night 1
07/17 | Hirooki Goto vs Tomohiro Ishii - G1 Climax Night 1
07/17 | Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Zack Sabre Jr - G1 Climax Night 1
07/20 | SANADA vs EVIL - G1 Climax Night 2
07/20 | Kenny Omega vs Minoru Suzuki - G1 Climax Night 2
07/21 | Tetsuya Naito vs YOSHI-HASHI - G1 Climax Night 3
07/21 | Yugi Nagata vs Hirooki Goto - G1 Climax Night 3
07/21 | Togi Makabe vs. Tomohiro Ishii - G1 Climax Night 3
07/23 | Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Yuji Nagata - G1 Climax Night 5
07/23 | Kota Ibushi vs Tomohiro Ishii - G1 Climax Night 5
07/23 | Shingo Takagi/Takashi Yoshida/El Lindaman vs Jimmy Susumu/Ryo "Jimmy" Saito/Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee!!Mee!! in the Open the Triangle Gate #1 Contender Tournament Finals- Dragon Gate Kobe World
07/23 | Usos (C) vs The New Day for the Tag Team Titles - WWE Battleground
07/25 | Kenny Omega vs Toru Yano - G1 Climax Night 6
07/25 | Kazuchika Okada vs SANADA - G1 Climax Night 6
07/25 | Kevin Owens (C) vs AJ Styles vs Chris Jericho for the WWE United States Championship - Smackdown
07/27 | Kazuchika Okada vs Satoshi Kojima - G1 Climax Night 8
07/30 | Kazuchika Okada vs Juice Robinson - G1 Climax Night 10
07/30 | Michael Elgin vs SANADA - G1 Climax Night 10

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Kenny Omega vs EVIL - G1 Climax Night 12

Man Kenny Omega is good. EVIL is too, but man Kenny is good!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thirding EVIL vs Okada as a MOTYC. Holy poo poo.

Gonna HM Juice Robinson vs Kenny Omega from the same card if only for how the match wrapped up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well now I feel like I've got to watch it!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

St Evan Echoes posted:

NJPW G1 CLIMAX 27 A BLOCK FINALS

MOTYC: Tetsuya Naito vs Hiroshi Tanahashi
HM: Hirooki Goto vs Kota Ibushi
HM: Tomohiro Ishii vs ZSJ
HM: Yuji Nagata vs Bad Luck Fale

God drat this tournament keeps delivering

Agreed on all of these, along with the love for the tournament as a whole. What a great G1 it has been.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MOTYC: Kazuchika Okada vs Kenny Omega in the G1 Climax Block B Finals.

They loving did it again, 3 MOTYCs in 8 months. Absolutely amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'll second Elgin/Juice, it was real good with a great ending, and seemed like it was setting up contenders for the US Title going forward.

• Locked thread