Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Prester Jane posted:

Back in 2008 I knew a guy was 78,000 dollars in debt and still needed a years more credits to finish his degree. He had been pursuing the degree for 5.5 years but had not completed it because the requirements kept changing and he kept hav in ng to add more classes as ones he had already taken no longer counted towards his degree.

He was a coworker of mine. We were making $7.15 an hour with no medical benefits. He had no idea what in the gently caress to do to get out of his dituation.

Your seem drunk, but what what was this degree, and at what institution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Cruella DeVos testifying right now

https://twitter.com/cspan/status/1111277239692390400

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Why is the department of education paying for the special olympics in the first place?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Why is the department of education paying for the special olympics in the first place?

Yeah seriously, fitness programs for the mentally challenged is a Defense Department thing

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

ikanreed posted:

Yeah seriously, fitness programs for the mentally challenged is a Defense Department thing

:bernpop:

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ikanreed posted:

lol

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

ikanreed posted:

hah!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ikanreed posted:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ikanreed posted:

:discourse:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

ikanreed posted:

zing!

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

ikanreed posted:

powerful lizard
Jan 28, 2009

ikanreed posted:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

ikanreed posted:

:drat:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Grem posted:

I hate very few people in the world. I genuinely hate Betsy DeVos

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4788...dEey1wHidcJmvZg

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Could any of you recommend a link to where I can read why exactly charter schools are poo poo in great detail, preferably with common pro-charter school counterarguments being debunked?

Had a guy at the most recent town hall with my state rep who was the principal at a "public charter school" and wanted to read up, a lot of what he was saying seemed like bullshit but I'm not well informed about the issue.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Crakkerjakk posted:

Could any of you recommend a link to where I can read why exactly charter schools are poo poo in great detail, preferably with common pro-charter school counterarguments being debunked?

Had a guy at the most recent town hall with my state rep who was the principal at a "public charter school" and wanted to read up, a lot of what he was saying seemed like bullshit but I'm not well informed about the issue.

For one, you don't have to worry about a publically-funded school doing dumbass poo poo like hedging their entire budget on counterfeit paintings

Edit: not a "public charter" school but I can't stop thinking about it

FutonForensic has issued a correction as of 18:41 on Apr 4, 2019

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
"public" is a completely meaningless qualifier for a charter school

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

"public" is a completely meaningless qualifier for a charter school

Yes, that's what initially tweaked my bullshit detector (and was confirmed by googling around later.) If he does it again at a next town hall I wanna yell at him, but I'd like to be well informed enough to not make an rear end of myself.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Crakkerjakk posted:

Why for-profit charter schools are not public schools:

A public school DISTRICT is a form of local government. The people living within the boundaries of the district elect a board that establishes policy and the budget for the school. They hold public meetings where the public can attend. The children living in the district attend that district's schools.

A for-profit charter school has no boundaries, has no elected board, and anyone can send their children to that school. They're more like a grocery store for education. The primary purpose of charter schools is real estate and investing. We had a guy in Michigan who is serving a four-year term for federal felony fraud after embezzling $3.5 million dollars from his charter school in Traverse City to buy up property in Bay City and create his own company town with another charter school at the center. His name is Dr. Steve Ingersoll. Other names you can look up are Chuck Stockwell, Nancy Paris, Pasquale “Pat” Battaglia, and Mosaica Education in Muskegon Heights.

The only public part of a charter school is the public funds they siphon out of your public school district's budget when they take your students out of your school. They spend less of that money on educating your kids because they have to make a profit. Their schools do no better academically and usually do worse. They can also cherry-pick the kids they want.

Hecuba
Jul 20, 2005

What we do is invent our images. And we build them.
Oh hey, finally a thread to vent my public education spleen.

I've spent the last six years doing progressive public policy/ed data stuff in America's first... retch... all-charter school district, AMA. (Fair warning: the answer will largely be some variation of "It's a dumpster fire, here's why.")

TLDR: The New Orleans "charter miracle" story is a carefully manicured, well-funded marketing campaign whose ultimate goal is to legitimize exploiting the powerless for profit (with a nice side order of eroding faith in public systems). Using it as an inspirational model, as our Betsy so often has, is not just stupid but dangerous. But people love a good story, and New Orleans has all of the components:

• Complex data that's (intentionally) hard to find and difficult for the layperson to follow
• A largely Black, largely poor student population that nobody "important" cared enough about to protest experimenting on
• A pre-Katrina crisis narrative that set the bar so low any intervention was seen as justified

Add in the opportunity to make massive amounts of money in exchange for products that by definition can't be delivered for years (measurable, sustained student achievement gains), and you have a perfect habitat for snake oil salesmen.

Crakkerjakk posted:

I can do a data-heavy effortpost on this later if folks want, but the long and short of it is that charter schools are run by nonprofits (charter management organizations — CMOs) with CEOs, boards and investors. Every single adult in the building is an employee of the CMO, not the public. These CMOs’ purpose is to sustain themselves and to make money for their investors. That is their point. If their point is to make money, their point cannot be to educate students. You can only have one point. That's the point of points.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

The only public part of a charter school is the public funds they siphon out of your public school district's budget when they take your students out of your school. They spend less of that money on educating your kids because they have to make a profit.

Utterly accurate. The thing that a lot of folks don't realize about the charter movement is that the entire thing began as (and remains) a means for private interests to access a previously-walled-off market. Public education is up there with military spending and public health as one of the most expensive line items in the US federal budget. Corporations have been able to access military and health dollars for years through government contracts (and we all see how well that's been working out), but since education funds flowed directly from feds > state > municipality > school district > school, there was no method of access. The business sector was like a bunch of hungry dogs staring at a big delicious steak behind a glass window. Charters are just the crack in the glass.

This is a pretty good podcast on the topic, albeit more focused on the media/PR spin angle.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Hecuba posted:

Oh hey, finally a thread to vent my public education spleen.

I've spent the last six years doing progressive public policy/ed data stuff in America's first... retch... all-charter school district, AMA. (Fair warning: the answer will largely be some variation of "It's a dumpster fire, here's why.")

TLDR: The New Orleans "charter miracle" story is a carefully manicured, well-funded marketing campaign whose ultimate goal is to legitimize exploiting the powerless for profit (with a nice side order of eroding faith in public systems). Using it as an inspirational model, as our Betsy so often has, is not just stupid but dangerous. But people love a good story, and New Orleans has all of the components:

• Complex data that's (intentionally) hard to find and difficult for the layperson to follow
• A largely Black, largely poor student population that nobody "important" cared enough about to protest experimenting on
• A pre-Katrina crisis narrative that set the bar so low any intervention was seen as justified

Add in the opportunity to make massive amounts of money in exchange for products that by definition can't be delivered for years (measurable, sustained student achievement gains), and you have a perfect habitat for snake oil salesmen.

I can do a data-heavy effortpost on this later if folks want, but the long and short of it is that charter schools are run by nonprofits (charter management organizations — CMOs) with CEOs, boards and investors. Every single adult in the building is an employee of the CMO, not the public. These CMOs’ purpose is to sustain themselves and to make money for their investors. That is their point. If their point is to make money, their point cannot be to educate students. You can only have one point. That's the point of points.

Utterly accurate. The thing that a lot of folks don't realize about the charter movement is that the entire thing began as (and remains) a means for private interests to access a previously-walled-off market. Public education is up there with military spending and public health as one of the most expensive line items in the US federal budget. Corporations have been able to access military and health dollars for years through government contracts (and we all see how well that's been working out), but since education funds flowed directly from feds > state > municipality > school district > school, there was no method of access. The business sector was like a bunch of hungry dogs staring at a big delicious steak behind a glass window. Charters are just the crack in the glass.

This is a pretty good podcast on the topic, albeit more focused on the media/PR spin angle.

I look forward to your data driven effort post.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

wait, so are charter schools good or bad (y/n, please)?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

RaySmuckles posted:

wait, so are charter schools good or bad (y/n, please)?

Bad

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Besides the general aspects of privatization that all these freaks dream about charter schools are a great way for capital to break up teacher's unions, which are some of the most visible and powerful unions still left in the country. Charter employees are private employees and thus can't join public teacher's unions, and most (but not all) of the charters have no teacher's unions whatsoever - I remember reading a while ago that only something like 15% of charters nationwide have union contracts, and most of these are required by local laws

e: source for the last bit, its actually only 11%:
About a quarter of all Chicago charter schools have been unionized, compared to 11 percent nationally, according to data from the National Alliance for Public Charter Schools. However, it's worth noting that charter organization may not be a strategy other state and local unions choose to pursue. Nationally, there are 3.1 million public school teachers, according to the federal government. There are only about 219,000 charter school teachers, according to the National Alliance for Public Charter Schools. In Chicago, only about 4 percent of all of the CTU members work at a charter school.

the bitcoin of weed has issued a correction as of 17:54 on Apr 5, 2019

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Hecuba posted:

I would absolutely love that, myself. Thanks for your comments so far and the podcast episode rec.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Crakkerjakk posted:

I'm gonna take a contrary position based on the literature I've read and say, in the short term, for actual students, in aggregate, charters have a neutral effect on outcomes.

There won't be any solid academic sources for how they screw kids, because right now they don't.

However, as an engine to move a professional, stable (if underpaid) job from public sector secure workers to private sector precariate, it has a huge effect

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe

Crakkerjakk posted:

Fun charter school fact. If they do online curriculum for core coursework they can have non teachers teach classes so long as one actual teacher is their direct superior (one such teacher can be in charge of several nonteacher ran classrooms)
I was one such non teacher for a year and my supervisory teacher bounced between 4 different locations and was in charge of a dozen or so classrooms. they are really not a great learning environment

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

ikanreed posted:

I'm gonna take a contrary position based on the literature I've read and say, in the short term, for actual students, in aggregate, charters have a neutral effect on outcomes.

There won't be any solid academic sources for how they screw kids, because right now they don't.

However, as an engine to move a professional, stable (if underpaid) job from public sector secure workers to private sector precariate, it has a huge effect

What I've been reading is that for student outcomes, they tend to hit "not meaningfully different than most public schools" to "pretty fuckin' bad" for the ones that are true horror shows and sometimes get shut down (when accountability mechanisms in states are actually working).

Combined with their undemocratic structure and undercutting of some of the few remaining robust unions, that seems to shake out to "bad" to me. But like I said, I'm just kind of relying on Google and there's a lot of bullshit out there or dated articles from when there was less data available and I'd love to see someone more familiar with the topic do a thorough review.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Charters constantly get shut down just for not meeting expectations of profit from its managers (or when the managers get caught actively embezzling funds into whatever other poo poo they're doing), in cities that have had their public school system mostly destroyed this frequently leads to kids being shuffled between different schools every year or even during the school year when one gets abruptly shutdown halfway through it

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

the bitcoin of weed posted:

Charters constantly get shut down just for not meeting expectations of profit from its managers (or when the managers get caught actively embezzling funds into whatever other poo poo they're doing), in cities that have had their public school system mostly destroyed this frequently leads to kids being shuffled between different schools every year or even during the school year when one gets abruptly shutdown halfway through it

This is a common problem in Detroit currently. More school seats than children to fill them.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
austerity is destroying schools and kids in the UK

https://twitter.com/jillberry102/status/1114564622462476288

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Jose posted:

austerity is destroying schools and kids in the UK

https://twitter.com/jillberry102/status/1114564622462476288

It really is amazing the things that "we can't afford" that we've literally afforded for centuries

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/itscaitlinhd/status/1115254165503188992

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Conservatives have always been counter-revolutionary, but it's strange to see them be counter-american-revolutionary

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

It's just the "we're a Republic not a democracy" thing all over again.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Hecuba posted:

do so. I haven't seen the term "turnaround" since AUSL rolled into Chicago, but it definitely didn't work here

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Goon Danton posted:

well at least they're admitting out loud that america isnt democratic

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the GOP has realized they can't win in anything resembling a democracy and this is part of the process of them enshrining minority rule. i'd lol at it but that's not very funny

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Goon Danton posted:

Good ole Patrick Colbeck. When Right to Work passed in Michigan he laughed about the fact that Betsy DeVos was literally passing out checks on the floor of the state leg getting people to vote the way she wanted. He also introduced a bill to make reciting the pledge of allegiance mandatory in public schools so kids were forced to say "under god" every day in public schools. That law was struck down by a court eventually.

He got himself added to the focus group for these social studies standards then had a bunch of his tea party chud friends help him tear it apart. There was a chudge also on that focus group who made a list of things he wanted eliminated or removed and promised if they didn't make the changes he would call in some favors in Lansing and make heads roll in the department of ed.

Let me see if I can find the PDF of the standards. I should still have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Food
Dec 11, 2006

PORN WIZARD

ikanreed posted:

Conservatives have always been counter-revolutionary, but it's strange to see them be counter-american-revolutionary
This is literal truth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4CI2vk3ugk
Conservative started with a bunch of aristocrats going, "You see I deserve to be above the rest of humanity because I'm just intrinsically better than everyone else." The only novel addition to the modern version is convincing the lower classes that they are aristocrats waiting to happen.