Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Elizabeth Warren is my new Senator crush I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Elizabeth Warren is on a war path.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

pathetic little tramp posted:

Hahaha she doesn't know what a Pell Grant is.

oh my

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

god drat talk about being an out of touch zillionaire lol.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

i really wish one of the senators would ask her about this quote during the hearing

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/lovethisnation_/status/821524950792159234

Britva Cutter
Jul 9, 2006

No, I'm in touch with humanity.
This is amazing. A+ Gonna get my teaching license bronzed and go into IT.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

i mean its for poors so why would she?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/821511051867025408

Also, when Betsy has no answer she says, "I will leave that to the states."

so basicaly public schools will become privatised and charge kids to go and also teach them evangelical horse poo poo. fun times ahead.

why do people hate common core again? because it doesn't let hick shitholes teach bullshit or there legit reasons?

mintskoal posted:

"I look forward to you visiting Connecticut and talking about the role of guns in schools"

:stare:

:drat:

i am honestly curious to see how the trump admin reacts to the next big school shooting. my guess is blame the media(video games/tv/movies)

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

wasn't arne duncan confirmed like really easily and with no need for a second round? this dude bitching that "well bloo bloo obama's guy didn't get pulled in to a second round!!!!" has no point

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

why do people hate common core again? because it doesn't let hick shitholes teach bullshit or there legit reasons?

it reeks of being designed by a committee of people who have never taught in an actual class, the math portion of it is ridiculously arcane both to first graders and the people trying to teach them said math, and lots of people incorrectly associate it with the Obama admin even though he had nothing to do with it and it isn't mandated by his DoE

it's not very good but it's way better than eliminating public schools, drafting all of the promising students into charters, then letting everyone else die, which is what DeVos wants to do

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Mayor Dave posted:

i really wish one of the senators would ask her about this quote during the hearing

Alexander was never going to let that happen. five minutes of questioning per senator was enough to softball her and not get into details she had no way to answer. It was bad enough she couldn't tell the difference between growth and proficiency, had no clue about financial aid for higher ed, and completely hosed up about special education. Of course when asked about being VP for her mother's foundation for years she said that was a clerical error.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a clip about her not knowing what Pell Grants are? Also I heard she was grilled on gay conversion therapy.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Rand alPaul posted:

Is there a clip about her not knowing what Pell Grants are? Also I heard she was grilled on gay conversion therapy.

Haven't seen that video, but I saw the part where she claimed that schools needed guns to keep grizzly bears away

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Mustard Iceman posted:

Haven't seen that video, but I saw the part where she claimed that schools needed guns to keep grizzly bears away

i remember the last time people were that worried about bears: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkV_ztynYDM

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i want to fist fight betsy devos

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

cams posted:

i want to fist betsy devos

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

joe lieberman will be introducing me

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

betsy devos is insanely loving awful but will probably be appointed easily lol

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

But see, gigantic private donations to politicians are good because

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

If the only person you could get to speak for you was Joe liberman, why bother? If somebody told me you can have lieberman or you can have nobody I would say nobody

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

If the only person you could get to speak for you was Joe liberman, why bother? If somebody told me you can have lieberman or you can have nobody I would say nobody

He sits on the board of one of her foundations, so he was paid to speak for her.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
How Joe Lieberman kept his seat after what he pulled during the health care fight is beyond me. He's practically a caricature of an utterly spineless politician.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

How Joe Lieberman kept his seat after what he pulled during the health care fight is beyond me. He's practically a caricature of an utterly spineless politician.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3806057

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Fullhouse posted:

it reeks of being designed by a committee of people who have never taught in an actual class, the math portion of it is ridiculously arcane both to first graders and the people trying to teach them said math, and lots of people incorrectly associate it with the Obama admin even though he had nothing to do with it and it isn't mandated by his DoE

Go actually look up common core. It has none of the math stuff people hate. Not one single bit of it is in common core.

It's just schools went 30 years without buying new text books and common core finally was the thing that pryed them off their 1970s math books and it turns out a lot changed in math education in an entire generation.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
she's got betsy devos eyes

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Go actually look up common core. It has none of the math stuff people hate. Not one single bit of it is in common core.

It's just schools went 30 years without buying new text books and common core finally was the thing that pryed them off their 1970s math books and it turns out a lot changed in math education in an entire generation.

from what i heard is they try various different methods to teach people math. I was always bad at math and my teachers at least in high school never helped me(other then one teacher) and i was in loving "alternative" math for dumbasses. so maybe it could have helped me. thankfully i am done with math in education and will probably never need it again.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

cams posted:

cant wait to watch this woman incinerate my students' pell grants and snort the ashes with hundred dollar bills rolled into the shape of a cross

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Motherfucking Aztecs had mandatory and well funded public education for all children. The USA: Literally worse than the Aztecs.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

KiteAuraan posted:

Motherfucking Aztecs had mandatory and well funded public education for all children. The USA: Literally worse than the Aztecs.

The Aztecs also killed thousands and thousands ritually on their pyramids so we're worse than them in many ways.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Bip Roberts posted:

The Aztecs also killed thousands and thousands ritually on their pyramids so we're worse than them in many ways.

Yeah, we've killed millions and not even in kicking rad ritual ways, just by bombing their weddings and poo poo.

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012
I don't think there is a sizable majority of voters who are for education privatization except for A) weird rand-esque rich assholes B) homeschoolers C) people who send their kids to evangelical private schools

B and C are just mad because they're upset about their tax dollars "being wasted" and A are just freaks who think that bad inner city schools with metal detectors are the ultimate indicator that public schools are a failure and should be completely replaced

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Bip Roberts posted:

I wouldn't rule ritual pyramids to placate the God-Emperor out yet

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

funny way to spell posted:

I don't think there is a sizable majority of voters who are for education privatization except for A) weird rand-esque rich assholes B) homeschoolers C) people who send their kids to evangelical private schools

B and C are just mad because they're upset about their tax dollars "being wasted" and A are just freaks who think that bad inner city schools with metal detectors are the ultimate indicator that public schools are a failure and should be completely replaced

you forgot d) the dc cocktail circuit which thinks everything should be a public-private partnership and believe "innovation" is the key to solving every social issue

also b and c are pretty much the same thing, one being more rural/exurban and the other suburban

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

KiteAuraan posted:

Mothertrucking Amway has schoolbooks and your path to success is up a pyramid shaped ladder.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

whatever is to blame for the fact that children are currently being taught math in reverse, it's really bad and stupid, and everyone seems to think it's common core

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Lord of Pie posted:

But see, gigantic private donations to politicians are good because
if you think gigantic private donations to politicians are bad, you are being sexist
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/12/bank-reform-barney-frank-wall-street-213412
http://fortune.com/2015/12/04/dodd-frank-wall-street-money/
https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/trackers/2015-11-16/it-s-stupid-to-think-bank-donations-affect-clinton-frank

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

cams posted:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Do we know when the vote is on her position? Might be worth calling my senator again if it has yet to happen.

E: gently caress it, called them anyway.

C-Euro has issued a correction as of 23:38 on Jan 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

from what i heard is they try various different methods to teach people math. I was always bad at math and my teachers at least in high school never helped me(other then one teacher) and i was in loving "alternative" math for dumbasses. so maybe it could have helped me. thankfully i am done with math in education and will probably never need it again.

Basically common core isn't perfect, and could be improved upon, but per usual in the US the proposed alternatives are either returning to the standards and methods of the 1950s or obliterating everything and making up poo poo as we go rather than nuanced, careful, forward-looking reforms