Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Could any of you recommend a link to where I can read why exactly charter schools are poo poo in great detail, preferably with common pro-charter school counterarguments being debunked?

Had a guy at the most recent town hall with my state rep who was the principal at a "public charter school" and wanted to read up, a lot of what he was saying seemed like bullshit but I'm not well informed about the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

"public" is a completely meaningless qualifier for a charter school

Yes, that's what initially tweaked my bullshit detector (and was confirmed by googling around later.) If he does it again at a next town hall I wanna yell at him, but I'd like to be well informed enough to not make an rear end of myself.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Hecuba posted:

I can do a data-heavy effortpost on this later if folks want, but the long and short of it is that charter schools are run by nonprofits (charter management organizations — CMOs) with CEOs, boards and investors. Every single adult in the building is an employee of the CMO, not the public. These CMOs’ purpose is to sustain themselves and to make money for their investors. That is their point. If their point is to make money, their point cannot be to educate students. You can only have one point. That's the point of points.

I would absolutely love that, myself. Thanks for your comments so far and the podcast episode rec.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

ikanreed posted:

I'm gonna take a contrary position based on the literature I've read and say, in the short term, for actual students, in aggregate, charters have a neutral effect on outcomes.

There won't be any solid academic sources for how they screw kids, because right now they don't.

However, as an engine to move a professional, stable (if underpaid) job from public sector secure workers to private sector precariate, it has a huge effect

What I've been reading is that for student outcomes, they tend to hit "not meaningfully different than most public schools" to "pretty fuckin' bad" for the ones that are true horror shows and sometimes get shut down (when accountability mechanisms in states are actually working).

Combined with their undemocratic structure and undercutting of some of the few remaining robust unions, that seems to shake out to "bad" to me. But like I said, I'm just kind of relying on Google and there's a lot of bullshit out there or dated articles from when there was less data available and I'd love to see someone more familiar with the topic do a thorough review.