Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

evilweasel posted:

holy poo poo i had no idea that the current-era browns had made it to a playoff game, tmyk
They had a huge lead too before Browns-ing it away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Intruder posted:

Ravens and Steelers with a smattering of Bengals

Bengals have 5 division titles in the last 15 years. They just don't do anything with it.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Bengals have 5 division titles in the last 15 years. They just don't do anything with it.

They make a lovely springboard for some lucky wildcard team.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Imagine using two decades of data to make a single point about how teams perform currently.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

absolomb posted:

Yeah but if the pats win we'll get to see Goodell handing the trophy to Brady and and *poops in his pants*

I hope they stab each other and both assholes die.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

We are three days away folks

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

They make a lovely springboard for some lucky wildcard team.

yeah before the season started I had a lovely post all lined up about how the NFL should do something about the fact that there keeps being 3 teams with a 1st round bye in the AFC

and then cincinnati regressed badly. such is life

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
After Friday there won't be any playoffs.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

a patagonian cavy posted:

yeah before the season started I had a lovely post all lined up about how the NFL should do something about the fact that there keeps being 3 teams with a 1st round bye in the AFC

and then cincinnati regressed badly. such is life

Instead we got a team with a first and second round bye

(The Texans were actually competitive in that game far deeper into it than I expected but with Brock an 8 point 4th quarter lead was basically insurmountable even before the Pats tacked on)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Intruder posted:

and don't think we aren't grateful

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Chichevache posted:

Imagine using two decades of data to make a single point about how teams perform currently.

Is that what I'm doing?

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Intruder posted:

(The Texans were actually competitive in that game far deeper into it than I expected but with Brock an 8 point 4th quarter lead was basically insurmountable even before the Pats tacked on)

to be fair the same thing happened with TJ Yates at the end of the 2011 season, but the Ravens ended up getting the 2nd round bye that time

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Ehhh that game was actually competitive. It was a 4 point game at half and the margin of victory was 7. The defense that year was insane and Arian Foster was at his absolute peak before injuries ruined him.

Yates had a terrible game but if not for Jacoby muffing a punt it could have gone very differently

gently caress, what could have been if Schaub hadn't gotten hurt. Not to mention Mario Williams

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Is that what I'm doing?

That's what a lot of page 15 was.

Kalli posted:

Over the last twenty years... The Dolphins are ranked 9th in non-divisional wins, ahead of the Jets 13th and Bills 24th.

The Dolphins and Jets have been above average teams that have been kept down by having to play the Patriots twice a year more then being a patsy. The Dolphins have a near identical record to the Seahawks over that span.

One interesting weird thing... the NFC West has the 26th (49'ers), 27th (Cardinals) and 30th (Rams) worst teams. That's just weird.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Intruder posted:

Ehhh that game was actually competitive. It was a 4 point game at half and the margin of victory was 7. The defense that year was insane and Arian Foster was at his absolute peak before injuries ruined him.

Yates had a terrible game but if not for Jacoby muffing a punt it could have gone very differently

gently caress, what could have been if Schaub hadn't gotten hurt. Not to mention Mario Williams

Bengals/steelers wild card last year was competitive but we all knew how that poo poo was gonna end

also, while hatereading TJ Yates' wiki page, I had forgotten that he was put into a Bengals/Texans game in 2015 and won 10-6, passing for 69 yards and a touchdown

Any team that's smart should roster him just to play against the Bengals because apparently he's a football god in those situations

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Chichevache posted:

That's what a lot of page 15 was.

The debate was about why the Patriots have done well over that span so not really. Of course, it's silly to be looking at the last 20 years of data for this considering the divisions were realigned in 2002.

Blarfk
Dec 26, 2003

a patagonian cavy posted:

I mean what could they realistically do?

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Blarfk posted:

have the bengals play the 2nd seed regardless of if they qualify for the playoffs

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Technically there were four teams with a first round bye in the AFC last year

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Blarfk posted:

Force the Krafts to sell the Patriots and buy the Browns.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Charlz Guybon posted:

Force the Krafts to sell the Patriots and buy the Browns.

Shouldn't it be forcing the owners who are actively harming the NFL franchise such as Jed and whoever owns the Browns to sell?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The NBA couldn't even force Sterling to sell, he had to be blown away by an offer from Ballmer that was well above what anyone expected, and he had been hamstringing his own team for 30 years before the racist recordings came out

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Cheap Trick souvenirs posted:

AFCN is the division that the Ravens usually dominate, right?

No the Steelers dominate it. Bengals and Steelers have a better division record than the Ravens, who are pretty solidly third. The Ravens just have more playoff success. So people think of them as better but when you just count the division they're 3rd.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

no

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Yes it's true. Look up the division records.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

AFCN is the division that the Ravens usually dominate, right?

the Steelers have historically dominated but recently it's been pretty even between the Ravens, Bengals, and Steelers

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

How about you all shut the gently caress up

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Pats 77.9% against AFC East, 77.2 against everyone else.

That's within the margin of error for "good all the time"

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Can we just have Green Bay play Dallas again instead of a super bowl this year.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Kawalimus posted:

No the Steelers dominate it. Bengals and Steelers have a better division record than the Ravens, who are pretty solidly third. The Ravens just have more playoff success. So people think of them as better but when you just count the division they're 3rd.
bad

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Elephanthead posted:

Can we just have Green Bay play Dallas again instead of a super bowl this year.

you can play a consolation game while the pats beat the falcons

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

FizFashizzle posted:

There's a bar in Atlanta that does a pbr, well drink, and a shot for 5 bucks called the poor mans platter.

Late, but... where? My go to get-hosed-up-cheap-and-see-a-show Dive Bar is The Earl.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I mean... are people not expecting Pats/Steelers to be a good game? If you erased the team names it seems like a matchup people would like.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

PrinceRandom posted:

I mean... are people not expecting Pats/Steelers to be a good game? If you erased the team names it seems like a matchup people would like.

Should be a good game. Even if one team gets blown out that'll be unexpected enough to be interesting and you'd still expect they could come back in the 4th.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I think part of the problem with the analysis is both that twenty years doesn't solely reflect post-realignment data but also that the really bad teams in a division often drag down the division's average by quite a bit and all the divisions end up being within a few percent of each other when looking at out of division performance.

A legitimately competitive and strong division would probably have two or (potentially) three teams with high out of division win percentages. The AFC North fits this because Pittsburgh won 62.3% of out of division games since 2003 (2nd in NFL) while Baltimore won 57.1% (5th in NFL) and Cincinnati won 51.4% (15th). The NFC East was also very strong with Dallas winning 55.5% (7th), Philadelphia 55% (10th), and New York 54.4% (11th). The other obviously competitive and strong division was the NFC South, which had three teams winning more than half of out of division games. I think two of the other divisions reasonably fit this though less well.

The AFC East doesn't really pass that test because the next best team, New York, won 49% of its games for 18th best in the NFL while the Dolphins won 46.5% for 21st best. Basically, I'd say the AFC East was worse from that standpoint than any AFC division except the AFC South and any NFC division except the NFC West.

The result is that the Patriots, in addition to being obviously exceptionally good, never really had anything resembling a second or third best team even out of division like 5 of the other divisions, which meant they never faced the chance of just being the wildcard and could more easily obtain a bye.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

PrinceRandom posted:

it has a high chance of being the best game of the year. So does the Super Bowl, regardless of who wins the conference championships

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

TheChirurgeon posted:

it has a high chance of being the best game of the year. So does the Super Bowl, regardless of who wins the conference championships

I'm gonna go ahead and say the Cowboys/Packers already holds that title and will continue to. I know it hurt you and I'm glad of that but the reality is it was drat good football.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

I'm gonna go ahead and say the Cowboys/Packers already holds that title and will continue to. I know it hurt you and I'm glad of that but the reality is it was drat good football.

What makes you think I disagree? I think it was a fantastic game, and probably the best game of the season (though I'd also suggest that Cowboys @ Steelers was an amazing game as well). But we've got 4 teams left, and all of them have very good offenses and poor defenses so all three of our remaining games have the potential to be amazing

e: Seriously that Packers @ Cowboys game didn't even have Antonio Brown or Julio Jones in it. I mean, I love Dez and he had a huge game, but he doesn't have the entertainment factor those guys do

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
here we go steelers here we go

• Locked thread