Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Attention all warhammer troglodytes and miniature gaming degenerates! The 30k thread is proud to announce Skullapalooza 2017- the thurdy kay thread’s first miniature painting and conversion contest. The contest kicks off on January 20th and wraps exactly nine weeks later on March 24th at 24:00 PST. There are multiple prizes, several different awards, a host of celebrity judges, and some plot twist surprises. How exciting! The contest is open to everyone with an account and the only requirement for entry a toxx of your participation. Beware- this contest is intentionally light hearted and the only goal is to have fun with our hobby.

Participants have nine weeks to model and paint a single miniature. The miniature must:
  • Contain at least one skull
  • Be from a legal unit entry from any Age of Darkness army list (IE: 30k, the bestest Warhammer game)
  • Be accompanied with a clever name and three sentence background blurb
  • Contain at least two conversions to the base model
  • Be fully painted and based by the deadline

With these caveats:
  • The base cannot be larger than double the original base size
  • There is only one unit on the base and it is clearly from a legal unit entry
  • If proxied, must be reasonably identifable as the unit entry it represents
  • The base cannot be an aftermarket skull base, but can be a base with skulls glued to it
  • Vehicles do not need to be based

Entries will be given a score based on 5 sections and delivered by 5 celebrity judges:
  • Rattle Rank (number of skulls and their usage)
  • Composition
  • Artistry
  • Grogyness (how dumb your fluff is)
  • Community vote

But beware! There are six ‘special’ awards for everyone who participates. Winners in each category get a unique ‘prize’ to be revealed, one at a time, by our talented celebrity judges starting after the contest begins. What mysterious prizes are you toxxing for? Oh the suspense! The prize award categories are:
  • Overall Winner
  • Overall Looser
  • The People’s Choice
  • Skull Champ 2017
  • Skullapaloozer
  • Sigmars Judgement

To participate in Skullapaloozaa 2017 please respond to this thread with “I :toxx: Skullapalooza " by 24:00 PST on January 20th. All entries past this point will be disregarded. Caution: participation is irreversible. Once you have entered the contest there's no turning back. So buckle up buckaroo- it’s going to be a fun ride! Entries have 3 parts- a vow, a single WIP, and then a final submission. Vows will be collected one week after Jan 20th and consist of a description and proof you have started work on your project. Five weeks into the contest we will collect WIPs to show progress and your 3 sentence blurbs. Finally, all participants must submit their final entry, including final 3 sentence blurb and title, by March 24th at 24:00 PST. The following week our panel of celebrity judges will issue harsh judgments and post the results into this thread. All entries will be private until the end of the contest.

What are you waiting for? Skullapaloozaa 2017 is officially open and taking entries! Finally, a special word from Bonely, the 30k thread's official kawaii servo skull:

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Ghost Hand posted:

The opening of this thread nearly caused me to have a seizure.

SRM posted:

"All according to plan"
- Alpharius, Praetorian of Dorn, John French, Black Library, M3.16

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

The community stuff (toxxing for resin related bankruptcy) that people having been pushing in the 30k related threads has been great to see. Thanks for putting in so much work!

Three more brave volunteers!

Right?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I channeled the Bonely through blood sacrifice.

He said "any progress counts as progress, cuckling"

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Before the harsh judgement are issued, I wanna take an interlude from my regular poo poo posting to say- this contest has been awesome. The level of effort you guys have put into your entries is well beyond what anybody expected out of a this contest. There are some very lengthy high effort works in Skullapalooza and I'm seriously impressed by what you have come up with- even the gimmicks. We have adjusted our rewards for this contest based on your entries thanks to some anonymous donations from fellow goons.

Also fuckin Hambrose playing up his god damned legit warlord titan. Here I thought getting a reaver someday would be 'adequate'

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
:siren:
The results of Skullapaloozaa 2017 are here and the OP has been updated. Judgments are in the process of being "issued". The following individuals, please PM me or email Bonely for instructions on how to collect your prizes:

Galaspar
Thundercloud
Hixson

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just wanna say, holy poo poo Germ, you didn't have to do that but you did and it's much appreciated! Thanks for the kind donation to our biggest winner!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

I'm glad you got something you are so excited about!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
All prizes and rewards have now been issued. Thanks to everyone who participated, judged, or just followed along in our merry little contest!

If you were a judge, participant, or lurker in this thread please take a moment to fill out this short survey about Skullapaloozaa. The feedback will help gauge interest in future contests and help make them better/more interesting: https://goo.gl/forms/ZCz8cmFspkUUMvMh1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The results are in! On a scale of 1 to 5 (strongly disagree to strongly agree) a very important question has been answered. Across both participants and lurkers, we can now safely say that:

BULBASAUR is THE GREATEST poster :smugdog::pipe: We received a total 26 responses across 3 segments: judges, participants, and lurkers.

Overwhelmingly, people enjoyed watching and participating in the contest:

Humorously, most contestants felt that punishments were NOT harsh enough and that there needed to be more potential for collateral damage in exchange for their toxx:

Among lurkers, most felt the punishments were harsh enough:

In terms of collateral damage, lurkers felt the drama created was mostly appropriate and overwhelmingly would like to see a similar event in the future:

For both participants and lurkers, the twists and turns kept people on their toes. The mystery of what was going on helped make the event engaging and original. However, the cadence of content getting posted and how it was communicated needed improvement.

Another area of improvement are submission criteria. Not all participants felt they were clear. This is partially due to the 'surprise' elements built into the contest, but I feel a better job could be done managing expectations for comedy contests in the future:

Another interesting divergence are judgement criteria. Most participants felt they were judged fairly, while lurkers felt it was less unbiased.

Bonely was received 100% positively across all segments and it is highly likely you will see more of him in the future.

In terms of future events, the top results were comedy, feats of strength, modelling + conversions, dioramas, model swaps, and ANYTHING without BULBASAUR. Besides killing myself, the other consistant piece of feedback from the comments was that future events should allow for more game systems to participate. The overall number of skulls was also called out as “disappointing”

That’s all folks. Thanks again to everyone who took the survey and to those who participated or judged in the event. Over the next few months I'll be going through the rest of your feedback and working with volunteers to plan out a larger event sometime over the summer. See you soon, cucklings.

• Locked thread