Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
u just need to understand the value of hard work op

loving millennials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
make computer touching an hourly paid gig

oh you want me to be on call for a week straight? Hope you like paying me OT

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

If you call it an association and make it voluntary to join but then lobby employers or schools to require licenses/certs or limit engineer slots you can get away with a lot more and people won't teargas you

see: the AMA

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 16, 2017

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
my workplace has a small union for people in the job classification area I'm in; I get an email about meetings every now and then

nobody seems to really care hence the small membership so :shrug:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

after 4 to 8 years of Republican rulership we will be in Victorianesque working conditions with all form of collective bargaining and workers rights completely eliminated

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
maybe DARPA will get that Don't Sleep For Weeks Straight without negative side effects drug figured out so we can all work 160 hour weeks

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

funny Star Wars parody posted:

after 4 to 8 years of Republican rulership we will be in Victorianesque working conditions with all form of collective bargaining and workers rights completely eliminated

You joke but 2000-2008 and the resulting 2010 governors races brought about the current neovictorian atmosphere, and people cheered for it as it was enacted.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
god save the queen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgd9nYqVz2s

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It's hard for computer touchers to seize the means of production because computers produce no actual work

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bhodi posted:

It's hard for computer touchers to seize the means of production because computers produce no actual work

mega agreedo

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

yopos IT union: problems? just leave and get one of many available six figgy jobs

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Bloody posted:

unions are good

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.
Thanks non union managers for almost causing me to eat a bullet. I now lead from the front with my rear end.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I make a lot of money and don't work very hard. I can be fired at any moment but I don't care because I can get another job easily and am financially secure. my ability to switch jobs gives me leverage in negotiating and employers seem to want to keep me happy.
why would I want to join a union?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

you would make more money

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
but then you'd have to give it all away in union dues

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Silver Alicorn posted:

but then you'd have to give it all away in union dues

buh buh buh but union dues

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Bloody posted:

you would make more money

I can't even imagine the vice grip a tech union would have capitals balls in if they actually organized

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Management posted:

I make a lot of money and don't work very hard. I can be fired at any moment but I don't care because I can get another job easily and am financially secure. my ability to switch jobs gives me leverage in negotiating and employers seem to want to keep me happy.
why would I want to join a union?

source your quotes

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Rex-Goliath posted:

I can't even imagine the vice grip a tech union would have capitals balls in if they actually organized

Mr. Robot but about vacation days and paid breaks

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
it would be better because you could mandate it infrastructure jobs actually exist instead of this devops bs

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

i get the mythical man month and all that but is there really any industry that couldn't use more people to spread the work around

George
Nov 27, 2004

is there a union whose dues are actually a significant portion of its members' paycheck?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

You joke but 2000-2008 and the resulting 2010 governors races brought about the current neovictorian atmosphere, and people cheered for it as it was enacted.

i wish i was joking

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Maximo Roboto posted:

Mr. Robot but about vacation days and paid breaks

can we at least be not classified as engineers so i can get paid OT in California and Michigan

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

George posted:

is there a union whose dues are actually a significant portion of its members' paycheck?

when you're making 10 bucks an hour, those 2.5 going to the union is a lot. (i was working security over the summer as a poor student more than a decade ago)

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Suspicious posted:

when you're making 10 bucks an hour, those 2.5 going to the union is a lot. (i was working security over the summer as a poor student more than a decade ago)
is that pre-tax? also that is a lot, for sure

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Rex-Goliath posted:

wouldn't it be really difficult to fight scabs should push come to shove? with an actual physical factory you can form a picket line but how do you do that when they can just have workers tunnel in from bangalore?

Obviously the network/systems team would be part of the union and would block the scabs from accessing any IT resources.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

reddits r/talesfromtechsupport has a regular who works in a unionized it work place and it's basically heaven as they get to shortlist candidates for managing positions.

no surprisingly their view of a good manager is someone who understands their position and world, and by coincidence I'm sure comes from their ranks

George
Nov 27, 2004

Suspicious posted:

2.5 per hour? Are you serious? I pay like $15/paycheck for mine.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
at least (i'm pretty sure) it was pre-tax. yeah we were getting ripped off

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

also making $10 an hour in an it job sound awful, what were you doing?

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Rex-Goliath posted:

wouldn't it be really difficult to fight scabs should push come to shove? with an actual physical factory you can form a picket line but how do you do that when they can just have workers tunnel in from bangalore?

Cut the power cords

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
itt computer janitors admitting they are blue collar laborers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

also making $10 an hour in an it job sound awful, what were you doing?
continue reading his post past the part you stopped at and you will find out!

and yeah wtf $2.5/hr in union fees? mine is like $20 per pay period.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
yeah that does not sound at all normal, my union fees are £30/month or something and they scale by how much you get paid so a min wage worker pays basically nothing

what you're describing sounds like a scam by a dodgy employer tbh

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Endless Mike posted:

continue reading his post past the part you stopped at and you will find out!

and yeah wtf $2.5/hr in union fees? mine is like $20 per pay period.

confirmed I am bad at reading posts

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

The Management posted:

itt computer janitors admitting they are blue collar laborers.

all labor is labor

George
Nov 27, 2004

Bloody posted:

all labor is labor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

big scary monsters posted:

yeah that does not sound at all normal, my union fees are £30/month or something and they scale by how much you get paid so a min wage worker pays basically nothing

what you're describing sounds like a scam by a dodgy employer tbh

are you with prospect?

• Locked thread