Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
we need a union to put an end to these inhuman working conditions. the AC in my office is way too cold and the free snacks in the break room run out by the end of the week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I make a lot of money and don't work very hard. I can be fired at any moment but I don't care because I can get another job easily and am financially secure. my ability to switch jobs gives me leverage in negotiating and employers seem to want to keep me happy.
why would I want to join a union?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
itt computer janitors admitting they are blue collar laborers.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bloody posted:

all labor is labor

I don't do labor I just type things and stuff my face with free snacks.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

but if that happens then you get to gather all your old coworkers together and murder some executives and finance workers and no jury in the land will convict you

that's great but you're still living in a cardboard box.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
oh look, we're already discussing how to bring work to a halt. I wonder why unions have a bad reputation.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

mishaq posted:

its from the management :tinfoil:

bring back your donald av

the trumpatar was a gift from my biggest fan. I thought it lent a voice to my posts that was not in line with my core message.

The Management fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 20, 2017

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

lampey posted:

there are unions for grocery stores here in CA. why can't IT unionize?

because grocery stores employ low skill, low wage, largely replaceable employees with nothing but the power of collective bargaining to give them any leverage.

IT workers are (relatively) highly skilled, highly paid, possessing domain and corporate knowledge that makes them difficult to replace. they also generally receive a decent benefits package and have a robust and competitive employment market.

the reasons that make it reasonable to unionize grocery stores do not apply to computer touchers.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I'll never be as cool as shaggar

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
okay, all this baseball talk has sold me. I'm signing up with the union.

so how does it work? say I just graduated from college with a degree in code fondling, what happens next? I want to understand what it means to work union.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
baseball - a sport so boring that the fans get excited about memorizing stats

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

unions are awesome and by the transitive property so is baseball

a bunch of overpaid fat guys standing around scratching their nuts while one person does all the work. it's a perfect metaphor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

mishaq posted:

don't quote stymie

• Locked thread