Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody posted:

unions are good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

we need a union to put an end to these inhuman working conditions. the AC in my office is way too cold and the free snacks in the break room run out by the end of the week

I figured an IT union would be more for things like keeping companies from exploiting H-1B visa loopholes.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

El Mero Mero posted:

I like the quiet libertarians rating this thread a 1 because union is a dirty word

The two extra hours per day they give their employer for free shows they are part of the team

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

fed union wants $70/mo in dues

pass

Yeah definitely not worth it for a traditional pension!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

because grocery stores employ low skill, low wage, largely replaceable employees with nothing but the power of collective bargaining to give them any leverage.

IT workers are (relatively) highly skilled, highly paid, possessing domain and corporate knowledge that makes them difficult to replace. they also generally receive a decent benefits package and have a robust and competitive employment market.

the reasons that make it reasonable to unionize grocery stores do not apply to computer touchers.

movie actors and baseball players are highly skilled and highly paid and are in a union, hth

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Endless Mike posted:

that's just background noise and playing 90s hiphop is vastly better at that

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

lampey posted:

union membership goes in cycles historically where the membership lags decreases in worker protection and wages. we are in a period with relatively high wages and few physical risks for it workers. In a few years when this changes it will be easier to attract union members

The middle class has been shrinking a keeps shrinking and union membership has only declined and declined. If there was ever a time when unions would flourish it would have happened in the past few years and it didn't.

I mean I hope you're right but I don't see it happening or else it would have by now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
looks like none of you need to worry about IT unions any longer!

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/30/gop-introduces-national-right-to-work-legislation.html

• Locked thread