Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Shooting Blanks posted:

Good to know! Thanks!

Pretty sure ihop meant frozen, not dried. They absolutely sell frozen that are great, and all dried herbs would massively change the dish.

Definitely give them a try. The good ones won’t have any spinach, which amps up the brightness and herbiness a ton. I love it with spinach in there too, and it is what I would do when I wanted gormeh sabzi but didn’t want to spend 2 hours prepping herbs, but the all herb version hits different. This will definitely increase cost though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Nope, dried. I usually use this particular one. You rehydrate the herbs, then squeeze as much water out as you can, then fry them like the fresh ones. It doesn't make sense to me but it works. My Iranian inlaws always did it this way and I always swore fresh herbs would taste better until I proved myself wrong.

Edit: oh yeah I always throw in fresh spinach if I have it. I don't think it does much particularly for the flavor but adds SUPER FOOD.

ihop fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 8, 2024

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

ihop posted:

Nope, dried. I usually use this particular one. You rehydrate the herbs, then squeeze as much water out as you can, then fry them like the fresh ones. It doesn't make sense to me but it works. My Iranian inlaws always did it this way and I always swore fresh herbs would taste better until I proved myself wrong.

Edit: oh yeah I always throw in fresh spinach if I have it. I don't think it does much particularly for the flavor but adds SUPER FOOD.

Crazy! I’m going to have to try that. Thanks!

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

:swoon:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Floating on a houseboat for a week and it's rained nearly the whole time, perfect weather to do a roast lamb

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Used my leftover chicken for an experiment tonight

I'm sure I'm not the first person with this idea but it came to me the other night and I had to try it

I give you: Korean birria

Quick Kimchi base + shredded leftover chicken + cilantro lime slaw + gochujang consomme

My red schmaltz wasn't strong enough to really get any color on the tortillas but the flavor was there!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Mapo tofu! God I've missed this

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

His full name is Broccolini Rabert

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
The usual Tom kha gai, sans cilantro because I forgot to buy some oops

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Had a bunch of leftover mashed potatoes, so I tried making gnocchi for the first time. They were super easy to make, so I’ll do these again sometime.

Gnocchi with portobellos in a butternut squash sauce.

gluten free

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Friend got me Ottolenghi's Simple for my birthday last month. Made these tonight:

Served over buttered jasmine rice with za'atar and a side red onion/cucumber/tomato salad with tzatziki

And made some loco moco again the other night

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Did some pork satay

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

gently caress yes you did

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I could eat that whole tray of skewers, drat.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Ox cheek ragu

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Took opportunity while i'm alone to cook things others in the house won't like so some kinchi jjigae first

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

kumba posted:

Friend got me Ottolenghi's Simple for my birthday last month. Made these tonight:

Served over buttered jasmine rice with za'atar and a side red onion/cucumber/tomato salad with tzatziki

And made some loco moco again the other night

That looks great, and I love that book. The pomegranate and mint baked rice is one of my favorite things to make. I also did a recipe from that book tonight:

And some cumin lamb from last week:

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
I really need a better serving vessel. Made a Cobb salad.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

blixa posted:

I really need a better serving vessel. Made a Cobb salad.

you may need one, but i don't think you're gonna get one. that one owns

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Soy marinaded seared tuna; grapefruit, ginger and sesame emulsion; fresh grapefruit; potato and spring onion rosti; purple sprouting broccoli.

Pretty happy with this. The tuna was cooked and seasoned perfectly and the rosti held together and crisped up nicely. Next time i’d replace the broccoli with samphire (they didn’t have any at the shop today) and make a grapefruit juice concentrate to add to the emulsion, as well as quite possibly some gelatin/gum to thicken it as it was quite a bit thinner than I’d have liked, and the grapefruit didn’t zing sufficiently.

E: excuse my messy kitchen lol

Jakabite fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 19, 2024

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Chicken Pad Thai tonight.

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Scars are tattoos with better stories.

Chinese cauliflower, tofu, and a trio of chilés in dry pot style. Served on garlic dill rice.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

hello dinner thread i've been trying to push myself to cook new things since ive been stuck doing old reliables too much. here's lobster ravioli with a lemon cheese sauce

not pictured: burnt toast :(

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Beef noodle soup

Then first go at no knead bread which went well particularly because i am a crust fiend

NLJP fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 12, 2024

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Well cooked, baked, and photographed!

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

BrianBoitano posted:

Well cooked, baked, and photographed!

Thanks bud! I was pretty happy. Baking has been my white whale for a while.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

My almost-6 year old wanted to try helping in the kitchen so he and I made a simple lasagne. Can't go wrong with cheese and meat sauce :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
tom kha gai!!!!