Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

dakana posted:

My wife got home today after being away for a week and a half, which is the longest we'd been apart since we started dating.

I made beef short rib ravioli!
Egg, flour, olive oil dough
Braised the short rib for 5 hours with mushroom, onion, beef broth, and white wine, then after it cooled I drained it and added marscapone and asiago - that was my filling.
Then I made a mushroom and marsala cream sauce to serve it in.

Turned out pretty goddamn delicious. Welcome home :)

Don't believe you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I don't blame you. I will make it again and take photos. I'm so goddamn full.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

dakana posted:

My wife got home today after being away for a week and a half, which is the longest we'd been apart since we started dating.

I made beef short rib ravioli!
Egg, flour, olive oil dough
Braised the short rib for 5 hours with mushroom, onion, beef broth, and white wine, then after it cooled I drained it and added marscapone and asiago - that was my filling.
Then I made a mushroom and marsala cream sauce to serve it in.

Turned out pretty goddamn delicious. Welcome home :)

Sounds delicious, but

quote:

marscapone

:what:

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

The Midniter posted:

Sounds delicious, but

:what:

Just a little. Quarter cup for a pound of short rib. Makes it super creamy.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

dakana posted:

Just a little. Quarter cup for a pound of short rib. Makes it super creamy.

:v:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A spelling mistake? On my internet?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

A spelling mistake? On my internet?

Sorry, it's just a pet peeve of mine. For how many episodes of Chopped and other cooking competitions I've watched, and these ostensibly experienced cooks/chefs and food lovers of all sorts (including some celebrity types) and they pronounce it "MARSE-kuh-pone", it just drives me up the fuckin' wall.

It's the culinary equivalent of why Brett Favre's name is pronounced the way it is.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

Sorry, it's just a pet peeve of mine. For how many episodes of Chopped and other cooking competitions I've watched, and these ostensibly experienced cooks/chefs and food lovers of all sorts (including some celebrity types) and they pronounce it "MARSE-kuh-pone", it just drives me up the fuckin' wall.

It's the culinary equivalent of why Brett Favre's name is pronounced the way it is.

yo man just chill out and have some Chipoltay

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

The Midniter posted:

Dude language evolves. We don't all talk like Shakespeare. I'm sure he would order an expresso coffee too.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Ranter posted:

Dude language evolves. We don't all talk like Shakespeare. I'm sure he would order an expresso coffee too.

Trigger warning please.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
It's three whole syllables guys, practically imposibble to get right. Rediculously difacult.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Mah scarrr PO nay

/

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I moved into a new house with new people.

A Chinese guy, Taiwanese girl and a Canadian Korean dude. And then me the fat Aussie white dude. I am now a minority and loving it.

My contribution is the broth on the left; made a chicken and pork broth from scratch (chicken wings, pork neck bones, onion, celery, carrot, peppercorns).

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Ranter posted:

A Chinese guy, Taiwanese girl and a Canadian Korean dude. And then me the fat Aussie white dude. I am now a minority and loving it.

My contribution is the broth on the left; made a chicken and pork broth from scratch (chicken wings, pork neck bones, onion, celery, carrot, peppercorns).

Wow, that looks great.
When I grow up, I want to be a minority too!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
made a sub with (from bottom to top) spicy hoisin mayo, cucumber, iceburg salad, char siu and a quick pickle of carrot and red onion (with some extra hoisin mayo drizzled all over it, lol)
lovely food

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Ranter posted:

Sounds like a great situation you've found yourself in. I can get down with any table setting that includes shot glasses.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Korean dude brought Soju and shot glasses :hellyeah:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Ranter posted:

Korean dude brought Soju and shot glasses :hellyeah:

From what I've heard of soju, i'm surprised you remember this happening.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
It's 14% rice wine. Ain't nothing crazy.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

paraquat posted:

made a sub with (from bottom to top) spicy hoisin mayo, cucumber, iceburg salad, char siu and a quick pickle of carrot and red onion (with some extra hoisin mayo drizzled all over it, lol)
lovely food

This is extremely my poo poo. Been trying quick pickling out a lot lately, too. Had an amazing bahn mi at Del Seoul in Chicago and I've been trying to replicate it.

Last night's dinner actually happened. Did a 24 hour @ 131 sous vide on a bottom round roast at that was on sale for basically free, seared it, then made another mushroom / marsala based sauce with the fond and bag juices.

Desperately needed something green on the plate because it doesn't look great, but it sure tasted good.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Pork chop rubbed with herbs and lavender, glazed carrots with ginger, pea and mint puree.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
^^nice, would definitely eat!

I made spicy Korean chicken (and left the sesame seeds out) pretty much per this recipe: http://rasamalaysia.com/spicy-korean-chicken-wings/
and had some stir fried vegetables with that.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

kittenmittons posted:

Pork chop rubbed with herbs and lavender, glazed carrots with ginger, pea and mint puree.

Is this a kids plate? Seems like there isn't enough food for that plate. Or I'm a big fat heathen. Probably the latter :/

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I didnt have macaroni for mac and cheese so I made a smoked gouda alfredo with fettuccine and brisket.

http://i.imgur.com/EnjOIIo.jpg

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
Sous vide "Slayer" pork chop with apple puree and brussel sprout slaw:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Random Hero posted:

Sous vide "Slayer" pork chop with apple puree and brussel sprout slaw:
Dang that looks great.

I got a tortilla press a couple weeks ago, but I'm getting sick of half assing mexican recipes with the ingredients available in Tokyo so I decided to do Korean tacos. Beef bulkogi and kimchi, works great.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Rigatoni ala genovese. I can't plate worth poo poo but the umami in this is off the charts. Also I should learn how to rotate phone photos.

Turns out if you simmer meat and onions for five hours it tastes real good.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
How do you keep it from falling out of the bowl though. Like it's about to pour onto my reply dude.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Vertical plating is the next thing imo.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Mapo tofu and shakshuka are probably my 2 favorite dishes that I didn't know existed until browsing here.

tried my hand at a veggie one (mushrooms). I almost like this one better than with pork

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Mapo tofu and shakshuka are probably my 2 favorite dishes that I didn't know existed until browsing here.

tried my hand at a veggie one (mushrooms). I almost like this one better than with pork

Wow, that looks really tasty!! It's been a while since I mapo tofuud, must try the shroom version now!

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Please lay on me your mapo tofu recipes. I make pretty much exclusively American/French food at home and would love to start incorporating Chinese and Indian stuff. Similarly if anyone could recommend me an Indian recipe that is delicious and doesn't require a pressure cooker I would be very grateful.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

poop dood posted:

Please lay on me your mapo tofu recipes. I make pretty much exclusively American/French food at home and would love to start incorporating Chinese and Indian stuff. Similarly if anyone could recommend me an Indian recipe that is delicious and doesn't require a pressure cooker I would be very grateful.

mapo tofu:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3401971&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post394267113
this recipe is awesome!

and an Indian thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774083
other people and/or things in that thread will probably help you with the second question, I don't really have a go-to Indian recipe, I'm afraid

paraquat fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 6, 2017

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

paraquat posted:

Wow, that looks really tasty!! It's been a while since I mapo tofuud, must try the shroom version now!

thank you!!

yeah, I use Gravity's as well or the serious eats recipe:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/07/real-deal-mapo-dofu-tofu-chinese-sichuan-recipe.html

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Parmesan grits with kale and a hot sauce + brown butter "vinaigrette"

http://i.imgur.com/EaCSXXH.mp4

loving delicious, filling, and very quick aside from the grits. We made the grits on Sunday, so yesterday was easy peasy.

From "Deep Run Roots"

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

paraquat posted:

^^nice, would definitely eat!

I made spicy Korean chicken (and left the sesame seeds out) pretty much per this recipe: http://rasamalaysia.com/spicy-korean-chicken-wings/
and had some stir fried vegetables with that.

I ended up giving this a try, and while it was fairly good, the sauce came out really thick on the wings. I don't think I did anything wrong based on the recipe, but it definitely looked a hell of a lot darker in color, and thicker, than any of the pictures suggested.

Any idea what I might have done? Or if I need to adjust the ingredients or something? It doesn't really specify how long to heat the sauce other than 'until it becomes saucy' but I'm not clear on how long that is (first time making anything like this).

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Sounds like you just cooked it down too far.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
I think Thoht is right.

Just to give you an idea Gwyrgyn Blood, I think my pan was on low heat and I hardly stirred any longer than to mix the ingredients and dissolve the sugar, bout 2 to 3 minutes or something, as the consistency of the mixed ingredients is saucy to begin with.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

iajanus posted:

A loving awesome sausage sizzle

And if you don't call it that you're either a Queensland or Victoria douche and don't deserve an opinion about food

Mate what crack pipe have you been on to think we don't call it a sausage sizzle in Queensland!? That's the entire reason I wait to do my hardware shopping on weekends - Bunnings sausage sizzle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

paraquat posted:

I think Thoht is right.

Just to give you an idea Gwyrgyn Blood, I think my pan was on low heat and I hardly stirred any longer than to mix the ingredients and dissolve the sugar, bout 2 to 3 minutes or something, as the consistency of the mixed ingredients is saucy to begin with.

Yeah I think this was the main problem, I left it sitting on low for a while, while the wings cooked. So I tried again and just gave it a tiny bit of heat and it came out a lot better. Also tweaked it a tiny bit based on another suggestion (little bit more chili powder and vinegar, little bit less Soy Sauce) so that got it about perfect. Still a bit on the thick side for me though so I'll just be a little more dainty when applying it next time.

Then my 12 month old started stealing my wings, so confirmed good for toddlers as well.