Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Democratic Pirate posted:

I had a roasted beet salad with arugula, Gorgonzola, walnuts, and pear that was really great.

Just remember that you ate beets, or else you’ll think you have major kidney problems when you go to the bathroom the next day.

I make that same salad all the time without beets.

Sometimes we add beets too. Really just commenting because it's my favorite go to fixed-recipe salad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Crack the coconut cream first, it adds 5 minutes but really improves the flavor.

If you fry up the curry paste in hot coconut oil would you be accomplishing the same thing, or does this do something else?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

iajanus posted:

Resident burger eating :australia: checking in to say no, we don't put baby on our burgers

What about dingo?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

iajanus posted:

I know it doesn't look impressive (nor is it complicated or difficult), but dinner tonight made me feel super proud. Made everything from scratch, had four different foods cooking separately simultaneously (in the oven, the stovetop, the bbq and a pan on the bbq side burner), and had to overcome challenges on the fly (the steaks were all cooked to specific, different, requests, and all hosed up their cooking times because our bbq is terrible, so I had to switch which was which around and play it by ear). Everything came out delicious and was well complimented (and everyone had seconds), and I feel very satisfied with my glass of wine, listening to the dishwasher.

It's scotch fillet steaks cooked on the barbecue, with a mushroom cream sauce. The sides are potato au gratin and garlic butter beans.

E: I was most happy that I got the steaks cooked perfectly. Mine was medium-rare, the others were medium and medium-well. 70% of the way through the cooking process I realised none were going to get close to the right temperatures, but they were in the right ballpark to switch around and still get the right results.

Hell yeah. That looks good.

I think it's a decent level of skill all on its own to be able to cook several dishes at once to the right degree and have them all on the plate at proper serving temp at the same time in a normal home kitchen setup.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

^^^ gently caress yeah.

I made a gorgonzola bechamel with some carmelized onions and garlic over gnocchi. Topped it with some italian sausage and a bit more gorgonzola that I ran through the smoker a few days ago. It came out great.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

:unsmith: Aww thanks yall. I always feel like I am barely doing this justice compared to so much awesome stuff in here. Didn't expect this to get much of a reaction!

Only real takeaways I had from it were to not put in the Gorgonzola into the bechamel until just nearly at the end. Likewise, I just sauteed up the onion and garlic (with a little black pepper and thyme) and only tossed it in along with the gnocchi and stirred. When I tried making this before I put in the cheese earlier on like I was making a mornay and it didn't stay as nice of consistency and broke a bit.

Also, if you have a smoker, smoked sweet italian sausage is super nice. I just throw mine in at 225F with some pecan wood for around 1h. Makes a nice improvement to my cheap grocery store made sausages. We've been throwing it on salads or having one for lunch with roasted summer squash.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

"Everything" pretzel buns, local brats with dijon and pickled peppers, and dilled potato and pickled cucumber salad!

I'm proud of you

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Raikiri posted:

Thai spiced panko breaded fishcakes and fried rice.

Beautiful

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

kumba posted:

today's lunch: watermelon salad

I love this

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The Midniter posted:

Bacon, lettuce, onion, avocado, tomato (BLOAT) with mayo and pickled hot pepper spread on toasted hearty white bread.

:vince:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Whalley posted:

Bad photo, amazing food.

36h sous vide ribs with miso-garlic-lime blistered green beans. The ribs were incredible, but the beans are about to become something I make at least twice a loving week holy poo poo.

Ok that looks great so you have to post a recipe for the beans please.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Whalley posted:

They're so loving easy.

3 tablespoons white miso paste
3 cloves garlic, either minced or grated if you can find your microplane which I couldn't
2.5 tablespoons lime juice (which was what I got outta 1.5 limes, but next time I'm gunna drop down to 2 tablespoons)
A bit over 1 tablespoon honey

Whisk that together in a bowl, leave sit.

Blister a pound of green beans in a bit of neutral oil for 10 minutes, then once done, turn off the heat and pour the miso sauce straight into the pan, along with a pinch of red pepper flakes and some salt and pepper. Toss to combine, then cut up about a third of a cup of cilantro or however much you wind up grabbing when you go to tear "some" cilantro out of the bunch, and toss that through.

They're far too delicious for the amount of effort it takes.

Awesome thanks. I have a few roast green bean variations I have tried but not one with miso yet. We are about to start getting a lot of long pole beans from the garden which will work great for this as well.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I like to lightly toss mine in oil then throw em on a hot gas grill on high and cover it back up. When it's not winter that is.

Usually the grill runs around 550-600F and crisps them up nicely in a couple minutes.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

holy poo poo

Steak tips marinated in soy, honey and sesame+chili oil over jasmine rice. Cucumber and pickled onion and some fresh purple sugarsnap peas from the garden tossed in sesame+chili oil and furikake.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

This is like tribute.avi material though

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

sterster posted:

Flank steak fajita night.

Aww yess that looks just right

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

kumba posted:

Or some mushroom miso soup over soba noodles w/ scallions and rayu?

yu choy is a favorite new discovery, those leaves are super tasty and the edible flowers taste like broccoli!

Ah man I hate when a story turns tragic at the very end.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Those are all beautiful

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Wahad posted:

Shrimp and rice noodle salad with coconut-lime dressing. I don't really post here often because my pictures tend to come out kind of bad (and also I suck at plating) but I think this one came out okay.

looks awesome

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

toplitzin posted:

Lunch at our work cafeteria today.

I'm pretty loving happy with this.

Hell yeah

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I didn't know about that substitution! This is great because it's turned cold here in New England and I have a lot of green tomatoes out there to deal with.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Quiet Feet posted:

Yeah, that should've been cumin. Those wacky speech-to-text errors eh? :ninja:

Y- yeah... Errors, funny that.. . Heh heh

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Accretionist posted:

Tried a new recipe for red beans and sausage.

Have a new favorite recipe for red beans and sausage.

Notes:
  • Cook Time: ~90 minutes (used canned beans)
  • Fills a 2 quart saucepan

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup of chopped onions
  • 1/2 cup of chopped bell peppers
  • 1/2 cup of chopped celery
  • 2 teaspoon of minced garlic
  • 1/2 tablespoon of butter
  • 1/2 pound of diced ham
  • 1/2 pound of diced kielbasa
  • 1/2 pound of red beans
  • 3/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
  • 3/4 teaspoon of oregano
  • 3/4 teaspoon of thyme
  • 2 bay leaves
  • one pinch of black pepper
Recipe:
  • Add butter, onion, peppers, celery, garlic and ham.
  • Saute until vegetables are soft.
  • Add beans, all spices and, if needed, just enough water to cover beans.
  • Simmer until beans are soft and breaking up (may take a while).
  • Add kielbasa.
  • Simmer until beans change color and become thick and creamy.

Having just eaten, I feel like I need to shout this from the rooftops.

Looks like a good / standard Cajun red beans and rice recipe. I cooked this last weekend. Love it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

I got an immersion blender probably three or four christmases ago and rarely use it. I should change that.

It's great for tomato sauce and soup and stuff

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

toplitzin posted:

Cassoulet is coming.

:jackbud:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

toplitzin posted:

No leftovers.

:stare:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Outstanding stuff

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Rice and Dal, Chicken Biryani, Aloo Gobi

napa cabbage and carrot slaw, homemade ravioli stuffed with asparagus, shallots and gorgonzola, homemade pastrami slices.

Asparagus parmesan and tomato quiche.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

Holy poo poo lmao

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

tokyo reject posted:

made some pesto and feta lasagna, pureed up some canned cannellini beans with some garlic salt (lol) and a shitton of meyer lemon zest and bit of champagne vin for the sauce instead of marinara. minced up some canned artichoke hearts and sautéed off with some minced fresh garlic before shingling them in there too

edit: forgot also topped with the bottom shake left of a shredded pizza mozzerella bag :v:

Yo this looks badass.

Did a shrimp and grits. I like doing mine casserole style. Half cheddar half muenster in the grits, trinity, bell peppers, diced ham, bacon, parsley, paprika, cumin, thyme, black pepper, top with parm, bake just until the shrimp are cooked, brown the parm on the broiler.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Torquemada posted:

There’s not many dhals better than Dishoom’s signature Black Dhal. This recipe is the closest I’ve found to the real thing, it will destroy most other dhals you’ve eaten, and it doesn’t use curry powder. Sure, it takes twenty four hours, but we all have a lot of time on our hands at the moment.

https://iamafoodblog.com/dishooms-black-dal-and-garlic-naan/

I wonder how much the cook time actually improves the dish vs say a 6h ish simmer for example.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

Gumbo Poutine (Oaxaca instead of curds):

This is awesome

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Safety Factor posted:

Been busy today. Started with making a key lime pie this morning. This is my second attempt at this recipe and I made the crust too thick last time. This time it came out a little crumbly, but it'll be fine. The first slice had some issues, but that's just kind of a pie thing and it won't be a problem going forward. The whipped cream has greek yogurt folded into it for some tartness.

For dinner (and future lunches) I made some Texas-style kolaches. This was a combination of feeling a little homesick and trying to figure out what to bring into work for lunch this week. This was my first attempt at kolaches and they turned out really well. This dough recipe is not quite as sweet as I'm used to from Shipley's, but they're still exactly what I wanted. Pork sausage, pickled jalapeños, and white cheddar.

I really miss Texas kolaches, do you have a recipe for the dough / baking times and temps? Those came out well and I want to do some with egg and chorizo.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I’ve been posting a lot of pizzas, so tonight I made a steak...

... then put it on a pizza.

I was tired of being in the kitchen, so I just threw some Tony Chachere on the steak and cast-ironed it. I should have just sealed the seasoning on and called it a day, or cut the steak a bit thicker, because it’s gray all the way through, now. Tastes good, though.

Garlic and olive oil sauce, grated Parmesan-Romano cheese, shredded mozzarella and provolone, mushrooms, red pepper flakes, and minced red chilis.

It doesn’t look quite this black in person, but I do like the crust well done when I know it’s going to take me more than one night to eat it.

Large hands’ pies look really good, so I might do a hand-tossed round one, next. I have some round pizza pans on the way.

:peanut:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I've done it sort of both ways and over the years kind of change from one method to the other or make the change depending on how big of a batch I'm cooking or if I'm cooking at a friend's kitchen or outdoors etc. Largely it's always going to work out fine. The only thing that is never quite great is getting the roux a little too light but even that is barely much of a problem if you've got a lot of other good ingredients going in it.

Homemade stock is so much better than canned or boxed stuff I would say really at this point it should be considered almost mandatory.

If you've never made it before it's probably fine to just use whatever you've got but once you get the hang of it you definitely want to make the switch to homemade stock.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

GeekyManatee posted:

Phil is completely right here. You don't *have* to include okra. What I learned in my own research was that a lot of file gumbos don't actually put okra in the mix. It's very common to not use it, but add file powder (just sassafras leaves dried and crushed into a powder) at the end to thicken up the broth. Even that is totally optional though.

Yeah it's often and either/or kinda deal.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

CaptainCrunch posted:

Did a bit of a Cajun Christmas for myself. Made some gumbo and basic rice to put it over.

I probably should have cut the recipe in half, however.

No no that's fine.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

:catstare:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

NLJP posted:

God drat bud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

toplitzin posted:

Potate, cabbage, kielbasa casserole.

This looks great, do you have a recipe or any more info for this? I use all of these ingredients in fall and winter cooking but not quite in this way so I am curious.