Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Five spice tofu fried rice with celery, peanuts and chili oil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Tuesday: Lentil shepherd's pie

Tonight: Tacos with roasted cauliflower, salsa macha, pickled onion, feta & cilantro

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Bought a pasta machine, finally, so naturally...

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Doc Walrus posted:

That looks amazing and I want to make it for my mom (who turned vegetarian this year.) Salsa macha seems simple enough to make based on a quick google search, but what's the best way to roast the cauliflower? I'm a cooking noob, and I don't really use my oven. Ever.

Preheat your oven to 500* (or as hot is it will go, if less), toss florets with oil and a little salt then roast for 20 minutes.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Spinach lasagna. Light on the cheese (just ricotta and romano). New year new me. Etc.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Tortilla chip chilaquiles (kinda). Super satisfying for how quick it is to make.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Ramen

emotive fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 18, 2018

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Chickpea flour & egg crepe / wilted spinach / cucumber parsley salad / lemon tahini yogurt

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

cigaw posted:

Fascinating! How'd the crepe taste? I've never used chickpea flour and I'm curious and now want to make a falafel sandwich where the wrap tastes of more falafel.

I enjoyed it very much. I spiced it with cumin seed, coriander and turmeric so it had a lot of falafel vibe to it. The recipe (here: https://www.bonappetit.com/story/cromlet-chickpea-omelet) describes it as kind of a cross between a crepe and an omelet, which describes it perfectly.

-----

Tonight:

Tostada with refried pinto beans, jackfruit and salsa verde. Trendy avocado flower (for internet points) with malden salt and lime.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

They look like ones I've seen at either world market or target

Yep -- part of the Hearth and Hand line at Target (https://www.target.com/p/stoneware-dinner-plate-hearth-hand-153-with-magnolia/-/A-52991283)

Here's the other color I bought and tonight's dinner.

Had some leftover tare from ramen night so I used it to make crispy teriyaki tofu (scallions and roasted broccoli stems), and broccoli with peanuts tossed in burnt garlic sesame oil. The bitterness from the burnt garlic oil really played well with the sweet/salty flavors of the teriyaki.

emotive fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 22, 2018

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Roasted red pepper, broccoli rabe and smoked provolone sandwich / quick tomato soup
In hindsight I would have split the baguette completely and made it an actual sandwich instead of grinder style.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

angor posted:

This looks fantastic. How did you do the broccoli rabe?

Blanched it for a minute or so to soften it up a little then just cooked it down with garlic, chili flakes and EVOO and mixed in the peppers at the end.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Homemade wheat pasta w/ marinara
Panko breaded eggplant with some smoked provolone I had leftover

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I find that trying to get char spots on my electric stove is impossible on corn tortillas... they get stiff/crispy before any real spots develop. Do I just need higher heat? Using a dry cast iron skillet.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

angor posted:

Grab one of these and throw it over your electric stove on high: https://www.amazon.com/Roti-Jari-Grill-Papd-Chapati/dp/B002M92XQ6

Oh drat, that’s pretty awesome. Might have to do that. Either that or I get one of the portable propane burners.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Tell me how you did those mushrooms.

Also, can I come over?

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Vegetarian here. I'd crush that, good job.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Kalista posted:

Simple breakfast of rice, shishitos, shiitakis, scallions, egg, and miso.

God drat

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Cherry tomato, broccoli and goat cheese frittata with basil
Roasted fingerlings with garlic, parsley and EVOO
Asparagus with parmesan and lemon

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I've tried letting a cast iron pan get ripping hot on my electric stove and never have much better result than his picture.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Tomatoes could have been better but any caprese is good caprese.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Brown rice mujaddara, roasted honeynut squash, lemon tahini yogurt

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Stuff in bowls from the weekend.

Vegan Japanese curry:

Teriyaki eggplant, sticky rice and 6 minute egg:

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I keep a base teriyaki sauce on hand (Adam Liaw's recipe) that's just 1 cup soy sauce, 3/4 cup each sake and mirin and 75g sugar.

Threw an onion, 2 cloves of garlic and 3 Japanese eggplant in the wok until softened and threw in about half cup of teriyaki and simmered it until it was thick. Threw over sushi rice, topped with sesame seeds, scallion and a little togarashi. The egg was just boiled for 6 minutes.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Olpainless posted:

Both of these look beautiful, and seeing as it's not been asked about yet, what's the rough recipe for the curry?

I used this recipe as a base as it was the closest vegan option I could find to the real thing since I didn't have premade roux:
https://www.cilantroandcitronella.com/vegan-japanese-curry/

I changed up the veggies to use what I had on hand... Murasaki sweet potatoes, cauliflower (which I'd skip next time), etc...

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Oh god, that filo pastry sounds incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Some mushroom shoyu I threw together over the weekend