Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Theophany posted:

Hey, this is cool and all but I don't give a hot gay gently caress about these rules. Where's the rule about sensitivity towards eating utensils in your pictures?

Your DNA is on file and your location logged with your IP. Post accordingly. If you intend to stray from your biologically-determined utensil assignments, you'll need to register with the Something Ethnic sensitivity committee (incl fee) and submit a current ear print to the office of geographic culinary propriety, c/o lowtax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Here's a super-lovely pic of some 'west African sweet potato and peanut soup' from some cooks illustrated book. The soup is good.

ShadowCatboy posted:

First attempt at Peking Duck. I didn't bother to make it all that pretty since I was more concerned with troubleshooting, but I'm still proud of getting this done.

And yes I confess I am using tortillas for now. That I am not proud of.

How was it? Any notes?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

ShadowCatboy posted:

I know jack poo poo about cuisine from that entire continent. What distinguishes it as West African?

According to the book, they called it west african because sweet potatoes are a popular main ingredient there :shrug:

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I made some of this a couple of weeks ago myself and it was awesome. That's cornbread you've got with it? Now that's what I was missing, I went with sourdough and goat cheese grilled cheese sandwiches instead though so not a terrible trade off.

Yeah, cornbread because :effort:. I'm sure the lady of the house would have preferred grilled cheese. Sourdough goat toasty sounds like a better pairing than cornbread.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Suspect Bucket posted:

Wait, what if... Sourdough goat stew cheese melt. Like, a really nice thick curry goat over an openface toast cheese, but the cheese is a nice... Hm. What'd pair well with a curry goat and sourdough. Maybe a bold aged swiss? Or would that get overpowered. Some nice lyeish basey nutty cheese.

Wonder if you could do it like a pulled pork sandwich, goat curry instead of pulled pork. Pickles and mayo? A Kraft single. 🤡

Maybe manchego or Gouda?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
looks like dumpster pot luck but I would also still eat it

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Suspect Bucket posted:

Ah. Struggledogs, a fine culinary tradition in the vein of not having hot dog buns.

Kampfwurst lol

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
This was my starter shakshuka. It's simpler than Kenji's but still got me hooked.

http://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/2010/07/summer-2010-travel-blog-shakshuka/

E: I guess the olives and feta are optional in Kenji's, so they're pretty similar. Don't skip that fresh herb though.

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 3, 2017

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

emotive posted:

Kung pao tofu, braised eggplant in garlic sauce, ginger bok choy

Wow. I'd love to have the recipes you used for all of these, if it's not too much of a PITA to provide. I love bok choy but I've only ever used it as an ingredient in stir fry or soup, never as the star.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

emotive posted:

Sure.

Kung Pao (just subbed tofu for the chicken... i baked mine first to get it crispy): http://www.fuchsiadunlop.com/cooking/
Eggplant (didn't have the pickled root so I omitted it and the tofu): http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/02/braised-eggplant-with-tofu-in-garlic-sauce-recipe.html

The bok choy I just blanched and then quickly stir fried with a little light soy, minced ginger and a pinch of white pepper.

Nice! Thanks! I'm excited to try that kung pao. Good excuse to buy some unusual ingredients as well.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
It's three whole syllables guys, practically imposibble to get right. Rediculously difacult.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
It's fine if I catch some poo poo for this, but I have to say, because I see it so often and I guess I'm just this guy: your food probably didn't come out particularly well, it came out particularly good.

An analog: to taste well is to be able to taste things. To taste good is to have a good flavor.

To come out good is to come out and have some attribute of good quality. To come out well is to... have been easily removed from a container, I guess.

Constantly substituting the word "well" for "good" is kind of like substituting "whom" for "who." It's often wrong, despite sounding fancier.

I'm an rear end in a top hat.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Tiggum posted:

And you're not even right.

To say something "came out well" means it ended up being good. It's a perfectly ordinary phrase and the word "well" is appropriate to use in that context.

An adverb modifies a verb. The verb in "it came out well" is "came." Note that the definition says "in a good way or manner," not "existing in a good state." Note also the synonyms on the entry: "fittingly, appropriately," etc, but "good" does not appear.

An adjective modifies the noun. The noun in the same sentence is "dinner." Used as an adjective, "well" means in good health, or prudent. So you'd be saying your dinner isn't sick, or your dinner made the sensible decision of buying a Honda Civic instead of a Dodge Demon. But using well as an adjective in that sentence doesn't make sense, because the verb is "came." If you were describing your dinner, and not it's action, you'd say something like "my dinner was well."

It doesn't necessarily destroy the sentence to say "my dinner came out well," it just makes the sentence mean something you almost definitely aren't actually trying to say.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Doom Rooster posted:

Crossposting from the meat smoking thread.

That looks insanely good. The perfectly toasted, thin slices of rye put it over the top. I need to learn to bake.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Holy poo poo. How did you cook that beef?

E:NVM I see 'roast.' don't think I've ever seen such competently roasted beef.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
for real. this guy knows how to hot a beef.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Pollyanna posted:

I tried to make salmon meuniere again and completely hosed it up :negative: The salmon was thick in some places and thin in others, so by the time the thick part was fully cooked the rest was chalky and dry. The butter sauce ended up being thin and watery, and I still haven't figured out how much I should make at a time, so I basically poured it all onto a plate and it was like a soup.

The sous vide thread can show you how to make your nerd-rear end fish recipe without ever overcooking it again

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Doc Walrus posted:

No, I just didn't feel like the fork belonged in the picture (it was store bought)

Feel ya. I hate it when all my homemade forks are at the blacksmith for a touch up and I gotta slum it with store bought

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Steve Yun posted:

Today I discovered food dye paints and markers.

Are those macarons? Fun as heck

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
One egg please, and don't skimp on the bones and veins and stuff.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Aw man its been a long time since I've had chickpea salad. That all looks good as heck.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
It's also commonly called "bread cheese" if your grocer's cheese person doesn't know what juustoleipa is.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
That's not a nitpick at all. Thanks for the info-dense post! What the gently caress is a cloudberry. Please sponsor me into Finland.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Ranter posted:

Oysters are disgusting salty slimy gross things that taste very bad. So no he's snot missing out.

:wrong:
They're neither salty nor slimy. Maybe you got served some rotten ones or something.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Well now I feel pretty lucky I've only ever had like one rank-rear end oyster

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Oysters should be raw and cheap and served on ice with horseradish and that thin brown sauce with chives floating in it. If they smell like anything or taste like a dumpster, they're off. If you're ordering them cooked, your waiter will bring you what you deserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
and get off my lawn!